Trying to recall a Normandy book I posted about

Read this book online. Most of it was set in Normandy and concerned a Major whose name began, I believe, as Cr something or other (Cross, Crossley, Crosier, etc.). He was a British officer in a named regiment bearing one of those regional names which was shortened to a single syllable. Posted about it because not only was it a great account but because it described several CM level actions in considerable detail. It also went into the wastage a unit in the line underwent, including snipers, an "O" group wiped out by a single German mortar shell through singular bad luck, people run over by vehicles, etc. A feature in the book I know I mentioned was the explicit statement that attacking units were issued shovels, to facilitate rapid digging in before the inevitable German counterattack. In that OP or elsewhere, someone posted a pic of a British (?) section led by a piper during EPSOM. I specifically noted that one soldier had a shovel and tied that directly back to what I'd read in the book. Am hoping someone can tell me what that book was, both so I can let my CoC colleagues know and so that I have that info for my files. Would love to read it again, too. It's an important low level account of the fighting there.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Am surprised and frustrated that no one's provided so much as a whiff of a response to my query. Surely someone must recall my posting the link to the book and a description of its contents here, for it was as topical as the day is long, super meaty and free? So far, my efforts in reviewing emails to my brother have been complete failures. Unless I blinked and missed something, am talking going back clear through 2014! Nor have I had any luck in recalling the unit's popular name, real name or the major whose name was part of the title of the book of which he was the subject.

Regards,

JOhn Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

24 SAS were killed by a mortar strike in Termoli

Following the taking of Sicily and shortly after the capture of Termoli on the Italian mainland, the Germans counter-attacked. Wiseman had just left his truck to talk to a messenger from his CO when the vehicle received a direct hit from a shell. His whole troop was killed or injured. It was, he said afterwards, the worst moment of his life.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yvrNCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT173&lpg=PT173&dq=Termoli+mortar+truck&source=bl&ots=lAosoHrlh5&sig=ACfU3U2Ycru9J9a8l8ev6lIwdpk-GrLkqQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjp1bfLtOzkAhX6SxUIHQWhBWIQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Termoli mortar truck&f=false

Edited by Wicky

7 hours ago, Wicky said:

24 SAS were killed by a mortar strike in Termoli

Following the taking of Sicily and shortly after the capture of Termoli on the Italian mainland, the Germans counter-attacked. Wiseman had just left his truck to talk to a messenger from his CO when the vehicle received a direct hit from a shell. His whole troop was killed or injured. It was, he said afterwards, the worst moment of his life.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yvrNCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT173&lpg=PT173&dq=Termoli+mortar+truck&source=bl&ots=lAosoHrlh5&sig=ACfU3U2Ycru9J9a8l8ev6lIwdpk-GrLkqQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjp1bfLtOzkAhX6SxUIHQWhBWIQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Termoli mortar truck&f=false

That's a great book.  All Ben McIntyre books are very very good.  Especially his recent The Spy & the Traitor

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been a while since the original post but - 

Possibly "An Englishman at War" The diaries of Stanley Christopherson - Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (SRY) - RHQ hit by a mortar mid June and many senior officers killed - took part in early battles for Tilly and Rauray?

Edited by Peachy