Map overlay - what am I doing wrong?

Using Google Earth, I have captured an area to play with map editor. I saved the overlay with "special editor overlay.bmp" filename in "Z folder" directory. Here it is, looking fine:

QvkY3.jpg

But, when I am opening the editor, the overlay is now splitted in two parts. See the red circle:

3vlOW.jpg

What am I doing wrong? In all BMP options, only 24 bits / R8 G8 B8 seems to be displayed by the editor but with the above result.

aO8bg.jpg

Thanks

That is odd. I just now attempted to recreate the problem but I couldn't, my 24 bit rgb overlay art is fitting as it should. Is there anything unusual about the picture? Is it an extremely large size, larger than you monitor dimensions? I cannot think what's causing this.

Me neither - I always use Paint which has less tricky saving options (24 bit BMP), I've never come across the issue. The only time I've had dramas with overlays is if I have CM running when I add an overlay to my Z Folder. As a result, I always close the program before adding or removing any special editor overlays. I don't think overlay size is the issue here as it is smaller than 2km x 2km.

@ncc1701e is your map going to be called Fallujah by any chance?

Thanks guys, the problem is coming from GIMP. The map size is 1431 x 856 pixels so under my monitor dimensions. But, the export function in GIMP is clearly doing something weird.

I have used Paint 3D instead as suggested. Saving my JPG as a BMP file with Paint 3D and it now works like a charm. 😏

kjv9l.jpg

18 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

@ncc1701e is your map going to be called Fallujah by any chance?

Come on, in just one picture, you are able to say that?

It's just a test, I do not know where it's going to lead me...

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Yes … I tried to map it in CMSF-1 - I recognised it instantly 😉.

Sure, that's where you saw overhead photos of the place before ............. in CMSF1  ............... :ph34r:   :D.    

Edited by MOS:96B2P

For those of us who have pinned Ramadi, Fallujah, Sadr City, Al Muffawaqiyah, Ar-Rifa, Nasiryah and Tal Afar in Google maps... Iraq starts becoming very recognizable.   Good luck on the map.  Fallujah is not a very good grid, unlike Sadr City :D  I have tried my hand a little and never felt I could get it right.

9 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Come on, in just one picture, you are able to say that?

His username is not just his username.  :ph34r:

5 hours ago, sburke said:

For those of us who have pinned Ramadi, Fallujah, Sadr City, Al Muffawaqiyah, Ar-Rifa, Nasiryah and Tal Afar in Google maps... Iraq starts becoming very recognizable. 

& Mosul.

5 hours ago, sburke said:

Fallujah is not a very good grid, unlike Sadr City :D 

Better than West Mosul (building river deltas is a doddle by comparison).  ;)

5 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

yep along with ball gags and a katana 

& now this ****'s getting weird.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead