Cain and Abel Evil Bridge Bug

I am presently playing the scenario Cain and Abel.  I'm fully and properly patched up to version 2.02, with game engine 4.0 

There are only two bridges that can be crossed for this battle.

Bridge "Eric" (on my right flank) is acting badly.  I managed to get one of my Warriors (Wrap 2) across, after several tries.  It took about 4 or five tries, if I recall correctly.  I don't remember exactly what worked, but I think I just gave it a move order from one side of the bridge and the endpoint beyond the other side of the bridge.

But, that was it.  No other vehicles could cross.  All the rest got stopped halfway across the bridge, and then jerked back and forth feebly, until I reversed them off the bridge (I'm probably lucky I was able to do that).   I tried slow speed, move, hunt, and fast, but had the same result.  I tried setting waypoints just before the bridge, in the middle of the bridge, and at the end of the bridge.  I even just sent one of the Challengers across with one waypoint on the other side of the bridge and not lined up on the bridge at all.  No dice.  After that one Warrior got across, no more vehicles made it.

I had to run them all the way across the map to cross the other bridge on my left flank, which was working perfectly.

The briefing indicates that the canal is crossable at two points, bridge Eric and bridge Ernie.  Ernie is the only one working properly for me.

I wanted to check to see if anyone else had run into this problem.  I thought the evil bridge bug had been squashed, but apparently it hasn't.

The battle is a really hard challenge, and I am enjoying it, but I had to change my strategy to work around the non-compliant bridge.  The lads were not happy with me when I was not able to get their armoured vehicles to cross with them for support.  They had to go it alone on foot while I raced their vehicles across the map.  If looks could kill....[shudders involuntarily...]

Heinrich505

2 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

I think I just gave it a move order from one side of the bridge and the endpoint beyond the other side of the bridge.

That seems to be the way forward, setting waypoints on the bridge itself seems to be one of the triggers.

Also never wind back a video when a vehicle is on a bridge.....When testing for @MOS:96B2P I watched a video where my tank crossed a bridge to about the midpoint by the end of the turn, then I wound it back.....Instant bridge bug. 

Reloaded & watched the turn again, without rewinding.....No problem.

I understand the issue has been addressed in recent patches, but in my experience the rules above are probably still worth following.

Hmm, interesting.  I didn't know that winding back the turn and watching it again was problematic.  I was watching the action on the one flank, and then going back to watch the action on the other flank.  But, in this case I don't think that caused the problem.  I'm pretty sure the vehicles were stuck during the first watch-through.  Not positive though.

Once the bug raises its head, does it interfere with all further attempts to cross, regardless of vehicle type or plotted paths?

Yeah I just tried it and got all five vehicles across smoothly. Well a little fanny wiggling but all crossings went fine. I have attached saves. This is Hot seat with not passwords - just skip over the Red side I only game them orders to move away and not shoot. The 001 turn is the full move orders so you can see how I plotted the orders over the bridges. The 003 turn shows them actually crossing.

Cain and Abel bridge corss orders 001.bts Cain and Abel bridge corss orders 003.bts

Gremlins!

I went back to a save point and just gave an enforcer a flat out move from one side to the other without properly aligning it up for the bridge.  It followed the Warrior without a hitch.  Then I ended the turn and for the next turn, I ordered a Challenger across the bridge that was nowhere near the bridge.  I just gave it a fast move and put a waypoint well past the other side of the frigging bridge.  The Challenger whipped over to the bridge, slowed to line up, and ripped right across the bloody thing, with nary a problem. 

False alarm I guess.  Move along now, nothing to see here, move along...

Thanks Ian.  Nice moves.  I've no idea why the gremlins suddenly attacked the bridge, but I can't replicate it in saved games.   

Ian,

Just as an aside, when I loaded your game it overrode all my game settings.  It disabled my mouse move commands where you move the mouse to the edge of the map and it then moves the screen in that direction.  I can only do that now using the right and left buttons on the mouse.

Any idea on how to make the map edges work again?  I've no clue. ????????

Not a problem Ian. 😁

As an aside, when I started the battle, for some reason it did not have trees visible, and I didn’t realize this. I played about a third of the way into the battle with just barren desert and some head-scratching about why my LOS was so bad from the high ridge. 

After viewing your turns, my game also defaulted to trees on, and I was treated with a much greener view, lots of trees and orchards, and the reason for my LOS being obstructed somewhat. 

Hah! Go figure. Your defaults turned out to be a good thing too. 👍

The struggle for the last city was really savage. It is a really fun and very challenging battle. 

12 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

After viewing your turns, my game also defaulted to trees on, and I was treated with a much greener view, lots of trees and orchards, and the reason for my LOS being obstructed somewhat. 

Hah! Go figure. Your defaults turned out to be a good thing too. 👍

LOL I am still blown away that my saves changed your settings. Glad to be of service :)

That explains why I sometimes have to turn off camera edge movement: I probably looked at a save someone shared that had it turned on.