What I'd like to see in CM3...

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet in a "What I'd like to see..." thread.

Space Lobsters of Doom!!!

How well would your M4A3E8 stand up to a ginormous crustacean?  Does an MG42 just bounce off the carapace? Would 8.8cm KwK 36/37/41's rule the battlefield?

Way too much potential fun to be had...

On 10/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, herr_oberst said:

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet in a "What I'd like to see..." thread.

Space Lobsters of Doom!!!

How well would your M4A3E8 stand up to a ginormous crustacean?  Does an MG42 just bounce off the carapace? Would 8.8cm KwK 36/37/41's rule the battlefield?

Way too much potential fun to be had...

Be still, my beating heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a tool tip to appear when you hover the mouse over a unit, saying which team the unit is, and which platoon it is from.

I'd also like to be able to edit the team name in game to whatever I want; so in the center bottom unit tab (one white flag), I could change '1st squad / A' or  '1st squad / B' to whatever name I want. eg. 1-1 or 1-2 etc. or maybe something more descriptive.

14 hours ago, 2Dog said:

I'd like a tool tip to appear when you hover the mouse over a unit, saying which team the unit is, and which platoon it is from.

I'd also like to be able to edit the team name in game to whatever I want; so in the center bottom unit tab (one white flag), I could change '1st squad / A' or  '1st squad / B' to whatever name I want. eg. 1-1 or 1-2 etc. or maybe something more descriptive.

1. You get that in the UI you click a unit anyway.

2. Why? The info we are given is historically accurate.

14 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

1. You get that in the UI you click a unit anyway.

2. Why? The info we are given is historically accurate.

When you've got multiple teams in front of you all with the same floating icons, it's more intuitive to either have the names of each team under the floating icon's or to be able to move the mouse pointer over each team, without clicking, so a team name tool tip appears. This could be togglable in the options menu.

I often split my squads into small teams and it would be great to be able to give them a name that's more descriptive. eg. 1st. squad / scout team, 2nd. squad / AT team, etc.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, 2Dog said:

That sounds like something you could find in a Paradox game. Are you maybe playing Europa Universalis a lot or maybe the newer Imperator Rome?

• 2 months later...

Something that is needed to make the Combat Mission games more fun is for AI units in lorries or on tanks to be able to jump out from or off them when the vehicle gets bogged down and immobilized. When a battle is over and one can have a look to see what is left of the AI's troops I've seen tanks sitting immobilized somewhere further back with a bunch of tankriders waiting to be transported to their destination.

If the infantry units could jump off and move forward to their destination by themselves when an AI vehicle has been immobilized for a certain amount of time, there would be more opportunities to have a good fight.

Edited by BornGinger

After having put the CM2 titles down for awhile, and having tried a handful of other similar games in the interim, in my opinion the single biggest change that's needed for CM3 is a more efficient way to check spotting / visibility from the various points on the battlefield. Related, but a somewhat different issue altogether, is that I'd love for there to be a way to quickly generate high resolution terrain relief maps for any scenario or QB map.

Improved animations -- more of them, for more specific actions, with better resolution / granularity -- would also be on my list of high priority changes for CM3.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine could keep track of the camera angles for each unit, so that when you come back to that unit it automagically gives you the last view you were looking at.  

Similar idea is that the starting camera values depend on the type of unit.  For a Co command unit, you get maybe a level 4 taking in as much of the Co as possible.  For a Platoon command, a level 3 oriented to show the platoon.  Etc.

Oh, oh.  There could be a config file for this, so users can make their own defaults, and a tiny language for specifying complicated stuff.  

2 minutes ago, IanL said:

I would love the camera positions that you can assign to short cut keys be persisted with the game saves and email files. 

+1.  This would be very useful.  I seldom take the time to use it now unless I know I'm going to have a long session in a single player game.  

On 1/6/2020 at 10:03 AM, Anxel Torrente said:

If the CM3 would have a similar look to what CM2 has, the UI could be changed so that the sides on the bottom are being used in stead of only being black filling which will remove the abstructing text we now have when the game is paused or whatever.

Relocate Paus and Replay Phase text to the UI panel.jpg

Good idea but the black areas in the UI are only visible at the higher resolutions. Anyone who uses the lower resolutions would have the green UI going across the whole of the bottom part of the screen, the black areas wouldn't be there. Maybe the compass and the white text could go on a second monitor? 

I don't think Co-op play would work.

In my experience from playing coop boardgames, the individual player tends to lose control and it becomes a discussion/argument game between the players what the optimal course of action will be. Then the player eventually just starts moving the counters to carry out what the consensus is.

Even if there are just two players, you'll find situations where  player A can't advance before player B does something. Clears a forest and removes an AT gun for example. Then player A just has to sit and wait for player B.

I’ve done COOP play in CM and other games. It’s entirely workable, as long as both players can function truly collaboratively. That was never a problem for me. Yes we had disagreements on strategies but we resolved them and continued. The reward of doing something together with a friend far outweighs any minor debate. 

I’ve done COOP play in CM and other games. It’s entirely workable, as long as both players can function truly collaboratively. That was never a problem for me. Yes we had disagreements on strategies but we resolved them and continued. The reward of doing something together with a friend far outweighs any minor debate. 

In a couple of my UnCon scenarios I've used a setup where there are player controlled forces both within and outside the objective area.....The forces within are too weak to take the objectives, the forces outside are stronger but can be easily pinned by the defenders.  The two groups must co-operate to succeed, but they have no direct C2 links.   Spies must bridge the gap.  

Scenarios like that might work well in a co-op format with strict application of something like @Bil Hardenberger's Hard Cat Rules: