What I'd like to see in CM3...

18 hours ago, IanL said:

Go to those other game forums and advocate for a WEGO feature.

I have suggested that multiplayer/WEGO should be considered at the Graviteam forums, as have others.  Although CMx2 is a similar scale, Mius/Tunisia are a different take again, that works very well once you get over the learning curve.  Far superior to the Eugen offerings IMHO. 

A bit off topic I concede, but RTS multiplayer is "appointment" gaming.  Turn based is do the turn when you have the time.  I would have thought a better option in today's busy world.  It is hard enough getting a good WEGO opponent let alone someone for an appointment style game.

I did say "inspired" by Mius and I'll add now Tunisia 43.  Not to just slap WEGO on top.  Has all the bells and whistles "by and large" mentioned in this thread but in the Graviteam format.  I note some speak of AI plans, this is a key feature of Graviteam WW2 games.  Not saying BF should copy their model either - but they could build on it!   BTW the Graviteam model has fewer clicks than CMx2 - not saying BF should aim for that either! 

I am sure BF would be well aware of the offerings in their game space and what it is that their supporters appreciate.  

Lastly, Graviteam have mentioned RTS multiplayer but it is not high on their list.  They claim multiplayer does not have a large enough following to justify the work.  For the "appointment" reason I mentioned previously I think this is probably true.   FPS suits appointment gaming but I don't think our interest does.

Just as CMx2 was not CMx1 with better graphics, CMx next has to be another, WEGO, leap forward - I hope. 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:39 AM, MikeyD said:

CM3 is as far beyond my imagining as the future CM2 had been back when I was playing CM1.
Wishing blindly for stuff this way, you're liable to either go 'too small' (make mere CM2-appropriate suggestions) or 'too big' (impossible fantasy suggestions). Something that's always been on my wish list has been 'super flavor objects'. Huge dominating flavor objects like locomotives or dockyard cranes or electrical power pylons. On the scale of things to wish for that might be considered 'chump change'. Like walking into a Michelin starred restaurant and ordering a burger and fries. ^_^

Agree plus more slots for those flavor objects. CM2 can already be enhanced without waiting for CM3.

My fear with CM3 is BFC could decide to go for a 'money grab', instead of producing a tactical game they'll produce a 'My little Pony' roleplay game for Japanese schoolgirls to play on their iphones. Bye bye tactical combat sims. :o :P 

Coincidentally, I'm currently watching a Korean TV series set in the world of a struggling game developer. One dramatic scene was a meeting where the developers decide to 'self publish' rather than tie their product to [fictional equivalent of Steam], which all considered a daring move on their part. It was like sitting in on a BFC board meeting... if BFC had board meetings... or a board room... or a downtown Seoul office tower workplace.

BFC conference room.jpg

24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

It was like sitting in on a BFC board meeting... if BFC had board meetings... or a board room... or a downtown Seoul office tower workplace.

jpeg. My imagines Battlefront.com conference room.

You forgot one thing...

FqURF8B.jpg

Unless...

LsH9R6M.jpg

Mord.

Online WEGO and/or realtime with replay feature.

Operations.

Tac-AI that uses suppressing fire on targets without direct LOS based on what's going on around them. Example:  Everybody is shooting at the copse up there, I might as well, or, walking through forest, my buddy up front gets shot, I start shooting into the forest up front. 

I like the look and feel of CM much as it is, but I'd love more sophistication in the AI, especially for those who play against it.

I know it's probably difficult, but I'd like to see game-level AI that works less like clockwork and that responds to the player more.

My number one wish is to have working and realistic pathfinding routines or at least being able to give "follow the road" order to a group of vehicles. 

In my current game I've received a company size tank reinforcements. Now I have to give a detailed movement orders to every single vehicle, just to make sure that they arrive ok to the frontline. It's  completely mundane, boring and unproductive task. It often makes me quit the scenario that I was excited about, because I feel that I'm better off reading a book or watching a series than repeating over and over this exercise.

Sin-t-tulo.png

When CMx2 was introduced there was a wail of "too complex" from the peanut gallery.  Most of us here today would not make that claim.  Sure, there is a CMx2 learning curve and let's face it, if you want sophistication, that means more to learn initially.    It is a big question for BF with CMx3.  Outside of it being WEGO, it is hard to predict which way BF will go.   If you were to design CMx3 would you:

build a more sophisticated CMx2 - more control over individual unit behaviour, more functions, grouping units as a feature, similar map scale - of course, more to learn.

Larger maps with more AI control of sub-units and less control by players? - maybe a 2025 CMx1

Multi-layer game - Operational layer where players make big picture moves of Bn/Coy, then break down to unit level play.

With the benefit of hindsight, CMx2 was a logical move from CMx1 - would have felt brave at the time!

Any opinions out there on the structure of CMx3?

"Brave" is indeed one way to put it. I think that there's still people resenting that act of bravery. It was a radical move not helped at all by having to comply with Paradox release schedule.

Twelve years on, BFC looks to an external observer as "conservative" as the senior command of the French Army was in 1940. 

They may hit the defense "jackpot" though, and have that as an incentive to be "brave" again. But then they won't need us needy middle aged nerds anymore... 

14 minutes ago, aus3620 said:

If you were to design CMx3 would you:

build a more sophisticated CMx2 - more control over individual unit behaviour, more functions, grouping units as a feature, similar map scale - of course, more to learn.

Larger maps with more AI control of sub-units and less control by players? - maybe a 2025 CMx1

Multi-layer game - Operational layer where players make big picture moves of Bn/Coy, then break down to unit level play.

With the benefit of hindsight, CMx2 was a logical move from CMx1 - would have felt brave at the time!

Any opinions out there on the structure of CMx3?

My focus would be on increasing fidelity and realism within the current map sizes. Also I'd look at adding an operational layer for the bigger picture and make it possible for players to do multiplayer campaigns.

Meanwhile, I would try to put in some quality of life improvements, such as a road movement system or solution of some kind.

Some of this stuff would be pretty easy to implement. Such as TRPs automatically showing a circle to mark their area of effect. Making the fire support interface less cumbersome. Adding scroll bars and increasing font size in unit purchase screens. Etc.

Edited by Bulletpoint

3 hours ago, Ivanov said:

My number one wish is to have working and realistic pathfinding routines or at least being able to give "follow the road" order to a group of vehicles. 

In my current game I've received a company size tank reinforcements. Now I have to give a detailed movement orders to every single vehicle, just to make sure that they arrive ok to the frontline. It's  completely mundane, boring and unproductive task. It often makes me quit the scenario that I was excited about, because I feel that I'm better off reading a book or watching a series than repeating over and over this exercise.

Sin-t-tulo.png

That is something these games have badly needed going back to CMx1.  A "follow-the-leader"/convoy command was on the drawing board to be included in one of the CMx2 upgrades, but somewhere between that upgrade's inception and it's release it was dropped as a feature.  It appears they couldn't get to work within CMx2's code.  A shame.  So, CMx3 is probably only our hope we'll see ever it in one of their games.

I agree that plotting road movements for numerous vehicles/squads is a pain in the neck that often seriously detracts from my enjoyment.  In fact, I come to deeply resent any scenario/campaign that features waves of reinforcements whose movements then have to be laboriously plotted from the back of the map to the front.  All that waypoint setting and use of the pause key to avoid traffic jams, it's got to be one of the worst parts of the game.

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

<snipped>

Some of this stuff would be pretty easy to implement. Such as TRPs automatically showing a circle to mark their area of effect. Making the fire support interface less cumbersome. Adding scroll bars and increasing font size in unit purchase screens. Etc.

Help me understand your meaning better.  As I understand TRP's, they assist targeting for all that side's weapon systems; from small arms to heavy artillery and air support.  Unless the AI knows which weapons you've selected (MG-42's, 2-inch mortars, 81mm mortars, 105mm howitzers, and such) there's no way to know which radii circles to apply and display.  Correct?

40 minutes ago, Badger73 said:
7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

<snipped>

Help me understand your meaning better.  As I understand TRP's, they assist targeting for all that side's weapon systems; from small arms to heavy artillery and air support.  Unless the AI knows which weapons you've selected (MG-42's, 2-inch mortars, 81mm mortars, 105mm howitzers, and such) there's no way to know which radii circles to apply and display.  Correct?

No matter if you use TRPs for bringing down artillery or to assist aiming during ambushes, they only affect a circle of 50m diameter. So if a house is within 50 metres from the TRP, you can call in indirect fire on it, no matter if you have LOS or not. And when ambushing, any weapon you fire at enemies within 50 metres from the point will enjoy increased accuracy (as long as your firing units haven't moved)

I was suggesting that a graphical circle always be drawn around the TRP (or at least when it's selected) to help placement.

What you can do is to select a unit, give it a waypoint, then select that waypoint and draw a circular target arc of 50 metres. That gives you a moveable circle you can place at various points to help put your TRP in the best possible location.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

No matter if you use TRPs for bringing down artillery or to assist aiming during ambushes, they only affect a circle of 50m diameter. So if a house is within 50 metres from the TRP, you can call in indirect fire on it, no matter if you have LOS or not. And when ambushing, any weapon you fire at enemies within 50 metres from the point will enjoy increased accuracy (as long as your firing units haven't moved)

I was suggesting that a graphical circle always be drawn around the TRP (or at least when it's selected) to help placement.

What you can do is to select a unit, give it a waypoint, then select that waypoint and draw a circular target arc of 50 metres. That gives you a moveable circle you can place at various points to help put your TRP in the best possible location.

Got it.  Understood.  Thank you.

I like immersion and RPG kind of stuff a lot so I´d like to see:

1. Easy Campaign making in single editor interface window. No messing with external script files or other hassles.

2. As already mentioned, maps which preserve their damage from a previous playtrough to be reused in another (campaign) battle.

3. Unit/leader progress beeing tracked from battle to battle, with medals awarded and maybe a pop up info text giving some stats on all that .

that should suffice for the moment as it´ll all vanish and reappear in couple of years again. :D