Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

40 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

you can´t change the replaced original model´s internal properities by model swapping/Blender.

If you put a defensive work model inside a flavor object (with the right order selection) and join the objects, the new object (which is still a flavour object) assumes all the custom properties of the defensive work model. It is however a pointless exercise because it's not apparent that there is anything to gain by doing it, at least from my experience. 

Nevertheless, my point was related to my attempts to understand how hard cover operates in Combat Mission. My conclusion is that it is hard-coded by object. More precisely the GE processes hard cover as identified by the name of the .mdr file. This makes sense since we know that all vehicles have different armour ratings.

Extend that to all hard cover so; different type of buildings, walls and defensive works will all use the same method.

I appreciate the point that placing 'hard-cover objects' without textures is the best way to replicate hard cover. Well... the only other way would be to take a flavour object and rename it as if it were an object that is recognised in the code as an object with hard cover, but then you'd access said object in the editor as a building or a vehicle. But that is purely theoretical and besides, hardly seems worth messing around with objects to this extent.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

Got it.

Demonstration video with BF109 and an invisible wall:

Tip for scenario makers: Mark the invisible wall with a distinct ground tile in order to find them better, when you´re finished with the placement you can restore the intended ground tile.  Walls are one option of many and not always is a invisible wall/wreck required if it can be completely hid in the flavor object.

Edited by Aquila-CM

9 hours ago, Aquila-CM said:

Texture Problem with the Airliner and Huey Bump:

vQX26xh.jpg

When converting to .mdr it looks like the texture "rips apart". Perhaps I missed a CM2 tools exporting prerequisite again but one looking into it would be appreaciated. Projects are in the cloud.

Additionally I'm still seeing the base shelter...

JFTtdK4.jpg

2 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Placing a wall, building or defensive work inside a flavour object does not appear to result in the flavour object taking on the cover aspects of the object. 

I think flavor objects can be used in combination with buildings and walls which will result in cover.  Example: A ship is made with modular buildings as in the scenario Coup d'etat.  See below screenshot.  Then a larger flavor object ship is placed over the modular building ship.  So the modular building ship now takes on the appearance of the (more realistic) flavor object ship.  The modular building ship is hidden inside the flavor object.  If you were to shoot at the ship cover is provided by the modular buildings.  The flavor object ship is just there for looks. 

As long as the flavor object is big enough to hide the building, wall, etc. inside of the flavor object there may not be a need to make the building / wall invisible.  Example:  A wall is placed on the map.  A large Hesco barrier flavor object is placed over the wall completely hiding the wall.  Troops behind the barrier would look like they were protected from direct fire by the Hesco Barrier Flavor object.  However the Tall Wall, hidden inside, would actually provide the protection. 

So no, the flavor object would never actually take on the cover aspects of other objects.  The flavor object is just there to look cool. 

Modular building ships without a flavor object cover to hide them.  :lol:    

Cargo ship skins provided by @37mm

2NLuJhLh.jpg

OFuvUSTh.jpg

dbNY1e7h.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

Additionally I'm still seeing the base shelter...

JFTtdK4.jpg

Looks like you´re missing the blank.bmp. It´s in the download.

And @MOS:96B2P sums it up pretty good. Those ships look great by the way. Now I get it what you and @Erwin were talking about. You guys figured this "wrap a flavor object around a building" idea out right from the bat.

You can resize all flavor objects released here in Blender with "scale" in matter of minutes. It is also possible to stretch them somewhat into all directions without looking distorted in order to make them fit. Just don´t do it with the base CM2 crate/shelter inside the flavor object as it can cause unexpected results.

blank.bmp

Edited by Aquila-CM

I can't believe I didn't think of this before but gliders would be great atmosphere for airborne scenarios. They were highly requested for BN and MG scenarios way back. Some intact and broken ones would look incredible on the battlefield. As well as various parachute options that could be placed around.

Mord.

I tried to get the free educational license of 3DS Max in order to open .max models to convert them to the free format obj for Blender. For some reason I didn´t hear back from them. Perhaps my initial attempt to register as "John Dong"  wasn´t the best idea and they blacklisted me now.

If one owns 3DS Max here (or has more luck with registering for the free edition), I would be glad if he could convert this model here from .max to .obj. Its a matter of seconds.

5Xke824.jpg

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-10539.html

Edited by Aquila-CM

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

I got a 30 day free trial (must be 27 days now)... but my first attempt of a conversion was a fail.

I'm hoping to spend some serious time with the program this weekend.

Would be great if you could manage it.

Here a Wooden Cart themed for the H&E mod but is also decent enough for something rural Middle Eastern when the texture is modified.

bL41GMk.png

Again it has this strange texture distortion issue but still looks decent enough. Now uses the shelter3 as a model base which should be easier to hit in the editor.

Edited by Aquila-CM

39 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

@mord . Mord how about this?

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-47053.html

Would look great with Normandy beach landings and Anzio scenarios. Hell I don't even need for any of these models to do anything but look sweet sitting in the background. The atmosphere these things can/will bring are just incredible.

Mord.

Truck Pack + Bus Release

RcVHgQ1.png

Truck Pack comes with 3 Versions: Trailer Truck, Truck only, Trailer Only.

All today´s releases as usual in the Cloud + Blender project files (if I did not forget) for reverse engineering. Do/mod whatever you want with them.

Truck could be used for driving which just makes sense for without the trailer. But I didn´t invest the work to add a driver seat as I don´t see much demand for this. Only idea that came to me would be creating a VBIED Truck but there are better suited dumpster trucks on CadNav for this if one would dig into this.

Bus again has this texture issue but it isn´t that bad. I think the problem could be rooted in this:

VW5YLo6.png

See the red box. If there are more than 1 "material/texture" attached to the triangle root, it seems when exporting only one is kept while the others are dropped which then can cause texture issues. This is a guess and I also do not know how to fix this yet. The truck only had one texture/material per triangle (mesh) and it worked like a charm.

Edited by Aquila-CM