Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

76mm E8 Battle Shermans

CM-Final-Blitzkrieg-2020-02-22-17-46-09.

Primarily CW tankers put/welded tracks on their tanks, AFAIK US tankers rarely did it and more often went for log or sandbag solutions. I made them for my Field of Tears campaign playthrough.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1tviryry89g6py7/AAAJpSvGH6u1iEx4WzwVLSnJa?dl=0

Video Playlist for CM 3D Model Editing with Showcases, Workflows, and Tutorials (latter with commentary)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlUX4ALH7zTNgpWGBYSFUCnZK-Sf7SCcl

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames

Roof Building Walls Model Editing (All CM2 Games):

CM-Shock-Force-2-2020-02-23-23-36-03.png

This was just a proof of concept test. With more work this could add alot to the detail/diversity of WW2/Modern buildings or when modtagged allow for specifically designed buildings for scenarios or campaigns: 

Reality comparison in Syria: 

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CTJW02/rooftop-aerials-and-satellite-dishes-in-damascus-syria-CTJW02.jpg

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DF27YA/syria-aleppo-satelites-tv-dishes-on-the-roofs-DF27YA.jpg

CMSF2 Roof Objects Test 8x8 Roofs with Objects, with no randomization, as in screenshot. Download:

Video Playlist for CM 3D Model Editing with Showcases, Workflows, and Tutorials (latter with commentary)

Other (fun) example idea, 30 sec edit:

Unbenannt.png

But there are infinite other ideas

Either as seperate model or included in the model there are damaged or collapsed building parts which are only shown when the building receives enough damage or the designer has set the building to this state. These parts can be edited seperately. For example more debris could be added which is then only shown when the building part is damaged/collapsed. 

It reminds me of the discussion on the aging of game !
If it's undeniable when it comes to graphics,
the introduction of a new texture and detail pack like this one or camouflage for vehicles even if purely cosmetic could significantly improve this condition.
moreover I often find the impression given more important than a perfect rendering.
I may be too fan of the impressionist painters ...

in any case your abundance of ideas is fantastic. In addition to being technically gifted you have great ideas
well done

Year of the Rat Temple Addon

CM-Shock-Force-2-2020-03-03-00-25-59.png

CM-Shock-Force-2-2020-03-03-00-56-55.png

- works like regular "skin" mods, place it in your z folder and they will appear

- designed primarly for the Heaven & Earth Year of the Rat campaign, replaces the two monastery domes with temple roofs

- damaged versions included

- also works in regular CMSF2 and with other HE scenarios, however not all domes have been replaced, only the 17x17 roof and the 16x8 roof

- unique textures for intact and damaged included (currently copies from the H&E dome texture), they don´t interfere with the regular dome texture, can be modified by liking

Download:

Creation & Custom Buildings Tutorial (works for all CM2 games):

https://youtu.be/vTnyRcb8NV0

- I by accident also did a 16x16 roof with the temple from the 2nd screenshot (not included) if one wants the files contact me on YT or Twitch.

While designing the Temple addon I´ve run a quick test on big model parts of buildings/walls/roofs:

Unbenannt.jpg

This is a roof filling a big part of the H&E Year of The Rat campaign map which is a quite huge map thus it seems there is no size limitation when model modifying buildings.

Mods:

@Aquila-SmartWargames 

Yours videos are always very instructive  and all seem to be so easy on your screen,  but when I try myself I dont have really the same results.

It will be interresting for me but also for some of us I hope, to know how to  save an imported 3d model  like 3ds, sketchup... there is a lot of beautiful 3d models that we can added to CM.

For the time, I can import many models from differents formats with differents plug in,  working with Blender 2 79, but when I want save my new model to replace  an mdr files from CM the program dont want, so what I am doing wrong ?

I dont ask you to enter in  details to use Blender but the imperatives rules to follow  before save a model in mdr format, could you provide a short video about the fundamentals actions to follow ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 3:24 PM, 3j2m7 said:

@Aquila-SmartWargames 

Yours videos are always very instructive  and all seem to be so easy on your screen,  but when I try myself I dont have really the same results.

It will be interresting for me but also for some of us I hope, to know how to  save an imported 3d model  like 3ds, sketchup... there is a lot of beautiful 3d models that we can added to CM.

For the time, I can import many models from differents formats with differents plug in,  working with Blender 2 79, but when I want save my new model to replace  an mdr files from CM the program dont want, so what I am doing wrong ?

I dont ask you to enter in  details to use Blender but the imperatives rules to follow  before save a model in mdr format, could you provide a short video about the fundamentals actions to follow ? 

@3j2m7I try to mention the fundamentals when working on stream but I understand that it still can be difficult to follow for beginners. I assume you already watched the commented videos of the playlist I usually put in my comment footnotes? There are indeed many exciting models but some come in formats that are - at least for me - hard to work with aswell as my Blender not comes with the feature to import some formats that easily. If there still is something unclear about the shown methods I suggest to leave me a comment on my Youtube channel and we´ll see if it can be worked out.

Mods:

On 3/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

@3j2m7I try to mention the fundamentals when working on stream but I understand that it still can be difficult to follow for beginners. I assume you already watched the commented videos of the playlist I usually put in my comment footnotes? There are indeed many exciting models but some come in formats that are - at least for me - hard to work with aswell as my Blender not comes with the feature to import some formats that easily. If there still is something unclear about the shown methods I suggest to leave me a comment on my Youtube channel and we´ll see if it can be worked out.

Mods:

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I know that you are very busy with other projects, also that you are also listening to the forum, and this is very important, this is the kind of people that we need for the good of the community.

Indeed, I read and read comments under the videos to detect eventualy the file conversion flaws.
About your job, It would be interesting to know the 3d models that  you have problems to convert, I installed the versions of Python and Blender, like indicated in the forum, and I, probably stumble on the same reasons, ok... without forgetting my basic knowledge of software.  ,)

Interresting will be also that, more members on the forum, could also give theirs opinions and experiences in the 3D world,  and share eventuel knowledges to the profit of the community, so many of us would like jump in the 3Dworld and do a few things, but don t have the required knowledges, and I dont talk only about me, ...I am full inside.  

Fortsetzung folgt  ..

Edited by 3j2m7

Say @Aquila-SmartWargames, I'm trying to scale up the British 6 pounder guns because they're too small. When I change the scale in Blender the entire gun bugs out in-game (model is floating in midair with the scale unchanged). Do you have any idea how to work this out?

I also have an experiment which may not work out here:

Please share if you have any ideas.

Edited by Frenchy56

1 hour ago, Frenchy56 said:

Say @Aquila-SmartWargames, I'm trying to scale up the British 6 pounder guns because they're too small. When I change the scale in Blender the entire gun bugs out in-game (model is floating in midair with the scale unchanged). Do you have any idea how to work this out?

I also have an experiment which may not work out here:

Please share if you have any ideas.

It will be of course very interresting to know how move the mds files... 

The only persons that I know and have sufficient knowledge in Blender and Python could be  

Aquila-SmartWargames

Geezer

sbobovyc

perhaps one of them could created an issue via Python ?

If some peoples on the forum or not, have some knowledges in this areas, it will be very helpfull that they come out from the shadow.

The last solution could be, that BFStaff  himself, open the dance, this could be also a way to prolong the life of CM serie for long long long time... 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, 3j2m7 said:

It would be interesting to know the 3d models that  you have problems to convert

A lot of models are in .max format which can´t be directly imported into Blender but require conversion first. 3ds Max could handle this conversion but I never received the free version for academics which I guess is because of using an obvious incognito name in the registration process. For now I try to stick to the formats that are allowed to be imported directly into Blender.

21 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Did you try this

On 9/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

The turret rotation issue and alot of other scaling/rotation issues that often happen when moving/scaling parts should be fixable with this function which "zeroes" the model part:

CDo0PXR.jpg

Okay, that worked. Thanks Aquila!

However I've run into another problem, the limbered model looks like this when limbered to a truck:

20200329133101_1.thumb.jpg.0e88112346429f7fc8aa9cf14e8ff702.jpg

I believe I can just solve this by guesstimating the position the gun needs to be at in Blender, and applying the transform to the object.

Actually I think I'll just extract the truck's model so I don't have to guesstimate.

Edited by Frenchy56

4c88b5f4f0.jpg

After playing around a bit with the scales and transform here is the result, vanilla on the left and modded on the right.

You can also note that the vanilla crew is way too far back, which is fixed by transforming the model backwards in Blender.

I plan on releasing the fixes for the 7.62cm Pak36(r) and the various CW 6 pounder guns after I'm finished with them.

2 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

A lot of models are in .max format which can´t be directly imported into Blender but require conversion first. 3ds Max could handle this conversion but I never received the free version for academics which I guess is because of using an obvious incognito name in the registration process. For now I try to stick to the formats that are allowed to be imported directly into Blender.

@Aquila-SmartWargames I have a licence from 3D Max and sketchup, and already converted a lot to obj and in case in the same time in fbx and 3ds, so if you need some, i can lend you a hand...

Edited by 3j2m7

35 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

4c88b5f4f0.jpg

After playing around a bit with the scales and transform here is the result, vanilla on the left and modded on the right.

You can also note that the vanilla crew is way too far back, which is fixed by transforming the model backwards in Blender.

I plan on releasing the fixes for the 7.62cm Pak36(r) and the various CW 6 pounder guns after I'm finished with them.

Good eyes nice job !

Edited by 3j2m7

6 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

I have a licence from 3D Max and sketchup, and already converted a lot to obj and in case in the same time in fbx and 3ds, so if you need some, i can lend you a hand...

Wait, so does that mean you can make .mds models usable in Blender? If so, could I have the German winter parka models and the German tank crew ones? I can send them to you if you want.

Edited by Frenchy56

Just now, Frenchy56 said:

Wait, so does that mean you can make .mds models usable in Blender? If so, could I have the German parka models and the German tank crew ones?

Hmm mds !

I never try, but I can check it out, I read somewhere, I think from Geezer, or Sbobovyc, that this kind of files was not possible for now, don t existe the Python addon but I dont remember where, ask on best @Aquila-SmartWargames me I will try to import a mds file in max or another 3d program, but not sure, I dont think I saw this extension to import...