Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

5 hours ago, JohnO said:

Viper, do you have the texture for the goggles?

I don't. I imported the ACH and the goggles into Blender and parented them together. then I exported the new ACH into a different folder in my desktop under the name as the ACH from the original MDR file. I put that into my Z folder and it happen to work. but I have no clue about how to do textures and turning them into a BMP file. I got lucky.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:12 AM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Ok, I asked this in another topic but it might get some more attention here:

I edited a bolt action rifle in CMFI with a new obj, have clip, muzzle and extraction. Managed to export as mdr from blender. But when I fire the game, the rifle is invisible. I'm guessing this is a texture problem. The file I have renders textures in Blender, all wood and metal. But when I go to UV editing there is nothing there. And the textures are three separate files (two for metal, one for wood).

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

An invisible rifle sounds to me more like a model problem unless you´re using the blank textures. Texture problems should more likely show black/distored skins ingame. But its hard to tell without more insight what actually was done here. 

Edited by Aquila-CM

On 12/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, ViperAssassin26 said:

I´ve just tested this, looks like its working for me. From what I understand the uniform texture was used and thus the googles are in their cloth cover.

I like the added detail & M4. I will use/showcase this in my next CMSF2 US Army playthrough

While doing the Flak Stuart tutorial an idea came up

Hiding objects/ LOD idea

- Most vehicles and some terrain objects (trees etc.) come with lod files.

- From specific camera distances the engine starts to use the LOD mdrs instead of the original mdr. 

- From what I´ve seen the LOD mdrs can be a completely different model compared to the original one

- A designer could utilize this by for example hide something in the Jungle. An entrance that has to be found (hidden objective) which shows up invisible/like vegetation from the distance, requiring the player to actively - visually - search the area.

- combined with objects that require LOS/active spotting (wrecks etc., not sure if emplacements like trenches or bunkers have lod files) could make it even more challenging to find.

Edited by Aquila-CM

7 hours ago, Aquila-CM said:

Hiding objects/ LOD idea

- Most vehicles and some terrain objects (trees etc.) come with lod files.

- From specific camera distances the engine starts to use the LOD mdrs instead of the original mdr. 

- From what I´ve seen the LOD mdrs can be a completely different model compared to the original one

- A designer could utilize this by for example hide something in the Jungle. An entrance that has to be found (hidden objective) which shows up invisible/like vegetation from the distance, requiring the player to actively - visually - search the area.

- combined with objects that require LOS/active spotting (wrecks etc., not sure if emplacements like trenches or bunkers have lod files) could make it even more challenging to find.

That's an intriguing idea.....Not sure quite what I would do with it, but it's definitely food for thought.

Great stuff here.
I´ve just downloaded the Ruins Pack and modded it a bit to make it blend in better with my factory mods.

I think it works very well visually - but there is still the problem of the amount of actual cover and concealment such mods provide.

You need to combine the ruins or other flavor models with visible/invisible low walls, wrecks, trenches, etc or invisible bushes, hedges etc to enable cover, concealment & LOS/LOF blocking. Detailed information and how to do it can be found in this thread.

I think somebody stated invisible buildings are also possible but I didn´t test much into this direction.

Edited by Aquila-CM

14 hours ago, JohnO said:

Question to anyone, I'm assuming that "LOD" is "Line of Distance"? If I'm correct, the question I have is what does the numbers after LOD means? For example LOD-1, LOD-2 and so on.

AFAIK lod is a generic term for 'level of detail' for 3d models, whereas the closer by the model is rendered, the higher the LOD level. Not sure if 1 is highest or lowest whatever.