Custom 3D Models and Mods Compilation

Aquila, I noticed that your dropbox links are always the same.  Are you adding things to the same folder so we need to keep downloading them every time you post, or is everything already in the folder?  I have downloaded 4 or 5 times over the past weeks and since each folder has the same name it's hard to tell if it's the same content.  

Camo-Net Emplacement Release (All CM games)

G1LdG76.png

KPL8xqq.png

- camo texture can be quickly changed, retextured, and/or modtagged ([snow] etc) as required

- hide vehicles, crates, emplacements, trenches, at guns, atgms etc. beneath

- height/width can be quickly resized in Blender

- combine sandbags, bunkers, buildings. As a flavor object it can be placed in/on buildings.

- if you want it to be spotted and not being always visible on the map: Replace an unused emplacement with it (sandbag, trench, wooden bunker) or an vehicle (taxi, kübelwagen) which then is turned into a wreck. The replaced emplacement/vehicle will not be visible but the camo net (or other objects released here) will inherit the "needs to be spotted" ability. 

- again if you have an hard time hitting the shelter in the editor. Remove all blank.bmp files from your Z folder in order to see the shelter and make it easier for you while editing.

- combine 2 or 3 nets that are displaced 1-2 tiles to make it denser.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1tviryry89g6py7/AAAJpSvGH6u1iEx4WzwVLSnJa?dl=0

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agho21MGTssHaTHHgpIcaQWqWpU?e=5rKEzK

Video:

Edited by Aquila-CM

Tent (All CM games)

YzLKEUu.png

47 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

- texture can be quickly changed, retextured, and/or modtagged ([snow] etc) as required

- height/width can be quickly resized in Blender

- if you want it to be spotted and not being always visible on the map: Replace an unused emplacement with it (sandbag, trench, wooden bunker) or an vehicle (taxi, kübelwagen) which then is turned into a wreck. The replaced emplacement/vehicle will not be visible but the camo net (or other objects released here) will inherit the "needs to be spotted" ability. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1tviryry89g6py7/AAAJpSvGH6u1iEx4WzwVLSnJa?dl=0

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agho21MGTssHaTHHgpIcaQWqWpU?e=5rKEzK

Edited by Aquila-CM

1 hour ago, Aquila-CM said:

This is interesting and might solve a problem in the game.  In counter insurgency operations a probable mission for BluFor is to locate and destroy RedFor insurgent supply caches.  There is a lot of potential for many COIN missions to at least start with this basic tasking.  However this is only possible with some less than satisfactory workarounds in the game.  In CMBS RedFor ammo dumps are invisible to BluFor except in Hot Seat mode.  Today I re-tested this in CMBS v2.12 Engine 4 and RedFor ammo dumps are still invisible to BluFor.  Below is a link to a thread discussing this:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/126343-cmbs-russian-ammo-dump-problem/   

And in CMSF2 there are no ammo dumps at all.  So a workaround in both titles has been to use the flavor objects pallets & crates.  These flavor objects are "hidden" and placed on a touch objective.  A BluFor patrol finds the flavor object, hits the touch objective and is then generally notified & awarded VPs for finding OpFor supplies.  The problem with this workaround is that flavor objects do not have Fog of War so they are always visible.  As a player navigates around the map placing waypoints etc. (or just conducting OCOKA METT-TC) he will observe the stack of pallets/crates/boxes. 

It sounds like the above method can give flavor objects the Fog of War?  If so this would be very useful to have the pallets & crates truly hidden until a patrol has line of sight to them.  Taking this one step further, using the vehicle example in the above quote, , would it be possible that the flavor objects would have Fog of War and also be able to be destroyed?  And maybe the flavor object could be a unit objective and reinforcement since it is actually an invisible vehicle that looks like supplies?  If so this could be used in many cool ways including in the campaign H&E @Sgt.Squarehead @37mm.  

@sburke I think you and Hitman Two Actual might have some interest in this also.  :lol: 

Example:  A BluFor patrol makes a sweep through a village at 1300hrs and comes up empty.  At 1330hrs a group of pallets/crates (supplies)  show up as reinforcements behind one of the huts.  The supplies are unit destroy objectives worth 100VPs.  At 1400hrs a BluFor patrol makes a second sweep of the village and finds the pallets/crates (supplies).  The patrol rolls up a .50 caliber mounted on a vehicle (or whatever is appropriate) fires into the supplies destroying them and causing them to burst into flames and admit a satisfying pillar of smoke. :D  The BluFor is awarded 100VPs for destroying the supplies without having to use up a touch objective.  

So ......... is any of the above possible?  Even just the first part would be an improvement.            

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

would it be possible that the flavor objects would have Fog of War and also be able to be destroyed? 

Example:  A BluFor patrol makes a sweep through a village at 1300hrs and comes up empty.  At 1330hrs a group of pallets/crates (supplies)  show up as reinforcements behind one of the huts.  The supplies are unit destroy objectives worth 100VPs.  At 1400hrs a BluFor patrol makes a second sweep of the village and finds the pallets/crates (supplies).

Yes both methods are possible:

1) This was done with "Destroy BF109" objectives but as you can guess you can do it with everything.

2) The destroyed objective was a Bedford Truck replaced by a BF109. Make copies of the custommodel.mdr of your choice and replace the main mdr and lod mdr files. For weapon caches you can simply take the vanila "crate1.mdr" and rename it to "vehicle-taxi.mdr", then make copies from it and add "-lod1" up to "-lod4" to it. You could also replace the VBIED vehicle as I believe these have a chance to explode when fired upon, so players would be extra cautious and call an armored vehicle to do the EOD job.

W0IVMp5.png

3) Very good for replacement are casual/transport vehicles (Jeeps, Civilian cars, Humvees, Wolfs, Trucks etc etc,) as you can remove their crew in the editor and they don´t give away so much "?" intel like bigger stuff. The crew can then be removed by extraction zone or simply placed somewhere else as enemy force.

4) It looks like the removed crews are accounted for victory points (in this example I had every BF109 set to 9999 but as you can see I received around 6000 or ca. 60% of the victory points. The Crew (Supply Platoon HQ) is sitting on the map edge in this demo. Keep that in mind when doing your mission´s victory point calculations.

3) When replacing vehicle, turn them to "IMMOBILIZED" so they won´t make engine noises when spotted.

4) You can either use them for hidden TOUCH, OCCUPY objectives (reach the downed bf109 and search it), for SPOTTING and like in this example for DESTROY objectives (destroy the bf109). These can obviously used for the player and for the AI aswell. Scenarios like "we lost an important asset in this region. Locate it before the enemy does" or "defend the asset from destruction/search" and many more become possible.

5) You can also replace sturdier objects as (Wooden) Bunkers or armored vehicles, this would require the player to use specific weapons (satchel charges, launchers, grenades) to get the destruction objective done. For example you could replace some armored vehicles with the train for an "Ambush the Train" scenario requiring to fire rockets or missiles into the trains.

6) And again these objects can receive AI plans and do movement like the replaced vehicle. You could simulate something being slowly towed away or trying to escape (like the example with the MIG-21s that try to get airborne (evac zone) in order to escape.)

7) Same goes for reinforcements, you could let them spawn when and where you want.  Pretty good for these mentioned "patrol and locate weapon caches" big sandbox map scenarios. Combined with the methods used in the CMBS "TOC" sandbox scenario, there are ALOT of options just requiring creativity and out of the box thinking.

8 ) placing these custom model objectives into ground caves (deeper as in my showcase) and cave labyrinths which then are covered by the Underground Cover Mod, and with the edges made inaccessible either by mapping or the various methods we have (invisible walls, bushes etc.), would the player demand to go into these caves to locate/destroy objectives otherwise not able to be spotted.

Edited by Aquila-CM

1 hour ago, Aquila-CM said:

Yes both methods are possible:

2) The destroyed objective was a Bedford Truck replaced by a BF109. Make copies of the custommodel.mdr of your choice and replace the main mdr and lod mdr files. For weapon caches you can simply take the vanila "crate1.mdr" and rename it to "vehicle-taxi.mdr", then make copies from it and add "-lod1" up to "-lod4" to it. 

W0IVMp5.png

5)  For example you could replace some armored vehicles with the train for an "Ambush the Train" scenario requiring to fire rockets or missiles into the trains.

6) And again these objects can receive AI plans and do movement like the replaced vehicle. Y

7) Same goes for reinforcements, you could let them spawn when and where you want.  

8 ) placing these custom model objectives into ground caves would the player demand to go into these caves to locate/destroy objectives otherwise not able to be spotted.

+1  Very, very cool.  Thank you. 

Relax in the Sand Method

Also known as IED Incident / Surprise Explosion Method

Imagine you playing casually CMSF2 managing your units at the FOB and suddenly a big explosion happens somewhere on the map. What was that? Should we send a patrol to check out?

How to setup:

1) Setup a pile of enemy IEDs and Spotters or setup a VBIED on a specific spot.

2) set a friendly vehicle/infantry as reinforcement (it can be also a BLUEFOR Taxi, Pickup, Ural Truck so when your units reach the scene it looks more authentic), set the time according to your preference. Place this vehicle into the IED/VBIED spot.

3) when the vehicle spawns it instantly triggers the explosion, visible to the player. Spotters+IEDs require 1/some seconds. VBIED trigger instantly so fast the player won´t even see the reinforcement vehicle.

- Use it for surprise, alongside reinforcement message to make the player curious or give him the task to setup a patrol in order to investigate

- Spawning infantry into the IED spot also trigger them (do not use BLUEFOR civillian spies etc. as they are hard to spot)

- max out the triggermen´s or VBIED stats to speed up their spotting and detonation.

- The VBIED or the Reinforcement Vehicle can be switched with custom 3D Models or even made invisible. An immobilized reinforcement vehicle also triggers the explosion.

- Use this in combination with a mission objective: Example: "Intel reports insurgent leader Al Grognardib aquired an operational radioactive dirty bomb and plans to detonate it in this heavy populated are in the next 2 hours. Gather intelligence, find him, and stop the WMD attack".  He then could be the Triggerman of the IED spot or there could be several of them there. If he gets successfully interrupted or killed in time, the "victim" reinforcement vehicle/individual will spawn without blowing up. The reinforcement´s destruction would result in alot of victory points for the enemy. In case of player success the sudden reinforcement spawn could be explained in the briefing. Example: EOD team "Briefing:When located kill/capture Grognardib and secure the bombsite. Wait for the special EOD team/vehicle to arrive, they will aquire the bomb and transport it. Ensure the safe passage to exfil/fob".

- the explosion also works on a start of a scenario although the player will see the victim vehicle of course in the SETUP phase. Can be used for scenarios such as: "Quarterback 2-2s Humvee patrol in Town A was calm so far, the weather is fantastic. Just in this moment the lead Humvee is approached by a friendly looking fella who is carrying a big chocolate cake. Looks like the day is getting even better."

My over the top solutions for alot of smoke. You obvisouly don´t need to go so extreme:

LuYaKnR.png

X0I6z7u.png

Edited by Aquila-CM

23 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Aquila, you were spoiling us with new things everyday there for a while. Is everything alright?  I'm sure you haven't run out of ideas, but I can understand they are a lot of work.

He wanted to step back from modding & concentrate on RL things (exams in particular).

What gameplay difficulties do you encounter with particularly big flavor objects? There have been efforts for the longest time to convince programmer boss Charles to allow for larger flavor objects but he's always  resisted. They have gradually been creeping up in size, though. There are items in CMBS that are bigger and more tactically significant than anything you'll find in CMBN (Jersey barriers for instance). 

One thing BFC's been focusing on over the years is increasing and stabilizing framerate (so no resource eating high poly count flavor objects). I think we're in a good place now in that regard and Charles may be amenable to doing more 'daring' things with the game engine. Only time will tell.

The new billboard flavor object can also be used as bulletin boards and SitMaps etc.   Pretty cool.  I have to learn to lower them so I can get them inside a building and also raise them so they can be placed on the second floor above a storefront etc. 

VhfZrW3h.jpg

fxCa89qh.jpg

z6AU8erh.jpg

On 8/10/2019 at 6:18 PM, MikeyD said:

What gameplay difficulties do you encounter with particularly big flavor objects? There have been efforts for the longest time to convince programmer boss Charles to allow for larger flavor objects but he's always  resisted. They have gradually been creeping up in size, though. There are items in CMBS that are bigger and more tactically significant than anything you'll find in CMBN (Jersey barriers for instance). 

One thing BFC's been focusing on over the years is increasing and stabilizing framerate (so no resource eating high poly count flavor objects). I think we're in a good place now in that regard and Charles may be amenable to doing more 'daring' things with the game engine. Only time will tell.

They work pretty well and I don´t see much performance issues caused by them.

The only issue that causes minor disturbance is the fact that the original flavor objects have a limited FOV attached to them. When you turn the camera away far enough they are programmed "to disappear". Due to this mechanic bigger custom flavor objects may prematurely disappear when the camera is close to them and turned away from their center because they inherit this limited FOV programming from them. Too complicate to explain in detail, simply test the cargo ship and go close with the camera and you will see it. But in most cases it isn´t that disturbing.

And from another thread I´ve seen:

When replacing CM2 objects ALWAYS keep the attributes (such as size) of the original flavor object in mind. 

When using custom flavor objects like the HESCO barrier: Do not replace big original flavor objects like the shelter with hescos as it will become harder to stack them closely together due to collision. For the hesco or similar custom objects that have to be stacked close together, replace slim flavor object slots such as telephone poles, street lamps, and traffic lights.

From my current knowledge Poles, Lamps, and Traffic Light flavor object slots are the best replacement slots for many custom models as

a) they cause not much collision issues due their slim size (thus custom objects do not cause issues when placed together tight (Hesco particulary))

b) have great draw distances (thus the custom objects do not disappear when camera is far away)

c) there are many of them and you almost never need all of them in one scenario

But again scenario designers are free to replace any flavor object, wreck, vehicle, emplacement with custom models they see fit. Just because you encounter a model made by me that is named crate1, shelter1 or streetlight1.mdr does not mean you should use it with its original name. Rename them as you see fit and in accordance to the information of this whole thread.   

Edited by Aquila-CM

Not sure if I want to post here, reason, seems every time I post nobody else post afterwards ;)

But I will see what happens. thanks to Aquila-CM and Sbobovyc, I've taking the plunge and try my hand in using Blender. At first I was cussing at the monitors but after awhile everything is working.

I use the M1064A3 MC and try to change it to just a M113 medic. Still not finished, still have work to do on the interior.

Have some ideas to work on and trying to add the M577 and M997 Medic vehicle.

GTqgJL2.png

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Very nicely done sir.....Those are all the rage around here!  B)

PS - Is it my imagination or did you square up the hatch on the rear deck?  @37mm - You may want to take a look at this mate. 

Yes, I did, I've been doing some reading and watching a lot of youtube videos 😐 Right now watching videos on how to add textures.

Here showing the hatch close.

ukOsXQp.jpg

To close the hatch you have to use the rotate key (arrow). When you select it you will get this tool. Select either red, green, or blue which will rotate the object. 

Qbs9C14.png

Hope this help.

Edited by JohnO

1 hour ago, JohnO said:

and watching a lot of youtube videos

It sure does accelerates your ability to digest some awfully dense info like graphical software how-tos/techniques. I could've used it 21 years ago when I first opened Elements!

Damn nice work, especially considering you just started. At this rate you'll be a master in a year.

Mord.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Very nicely done sir.....Those are all the rage around here!  B)

PS - Is it my imagination or did you square up the hatch on the rear deck?  @37mm - You may want to take a look at this mate. 

Yeah, good explanation @JohnO... it beats my "method" of just covering up the hole with another hatch.