QB bugs that won't die...

I have all the games except Afghanistan and I play them all. I've played many scenarios, a number of campaign, but I mostly plays QBs against the AI. After all these years, CMBN is still my favourite.

I love Combat Mission and enjoy playing it, despite some of the quirks and bugs. There have been certain bugs that are a little annoying and have persisted through all the patches and updates for a while:

1) The facing backwards bug - enemy forces face the wrong way. This still crops up. When you spend ages choosing interesting forces, tweak the map a little to make it look more exciting, and then the Panthers are facing backwards, it's a little disappointing.
2) The limbered AT gun bug. AT guns are limbered and trundling along like infantry - I think this is because too many QB AI plans have most of the enemy hiding in a corner then rushing out for a big ol' turkey shoot, which is a quirk, rather than a bug, but is also annoying.
3) The stuck-in-a-hedgerow bug, or stuck next to a wall. There is a workaround for this bug - you shoot the little b#st#rd who's stuck. Works great, but you have to use a tank.

The bug-out bug, where the troops run in random directions, often forwards, doesn't bother me as much as these other ones.

Can't help with the latter issues, but the first one you may be able to fix for yourself:

4 hours ago, Freyberg said:

1) The facing backwards bug - enemy forces face the wrong way. This still crops up. When you spend ages choosing interesting forces, tweak the map a little to make it look more exciting, and then the Panthers are facing backwards, it's a little disappointing.

Check the map in the editor, ensure the Friendly Directions are set correctly.....If you were feeling really brave you could add facings to the AI plans.

certainly check the QB Maps for correct facing.  Let me know if one needs fixing. 

But I think you are describing a bug with some (not all)AI units that setup up backwards sometimes.  Next time it happens report it and attach a save file so beta testers can track exactly what unit type is effected during AI auto setup.  I have run across this myself... but not recently.  It does not show up for all players, all the time and that's problematic.  But it is REALLY annoying when it does! By the way:  I have seen the AI setup correctly but turn itself around after a turn or two. Thanks for posting. 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can't help with the latter issues, but the first one you may be able to fix for yourself:

Check the map in the editor, ensure the Friendly Directions are set correctly.....If you were feeling really brave you could add facings to the AI plans.

I have felt brave enough to try the AI from time to time, so maybe I'll try that :)

On 7/14/2019 at 4:39 AM, MarkEzra said:

certainly check the QB Maps for correct facing.  Let me know if one needs fixing. 

But I think you are describing a bug with some (not all)AI units that setup up backwards sometimes.  Next time it happens report it and attach a save file so beta testers can track exactly what unit type is effected during AI auto setup.  I have run across this myself... but not recently.  It does not show up for all players, all the time and that's problematic.  But it is REALLY annoying when it does! By the way:  I have seen the AI setup correctly but turn itself around after a turn or two. Thanks for posting. 

Mostly I use the QB maps, which generally give a good game, but I quite often pretty them up with fences and so on, so 'll keep an eye on that. And I'll send a save file next time it happens...