Fight or Flight.

Is it my imagination or does it seem like units are more prone to flee at the slightest provocation.  For example.  I have experimented with US Army, US marines and UK forces giving them elite status higher that normal motivation and good leadership..  I've tried running into battle, hunting, and assault. In every case should one soldier get killed or wounded more often than not the rest take off at a mad dash for quite a distance sometimes running into the killing zone.  It must be noted that they are never listed as panic.  I was in the Army in Nam but was stationed at a Marine base.  The folks I knew there would not cut and run at the first sign of trouble. I think I remember something being said about the soldiers response being tweaked and if so perhaps it was over tweaked.  It is kinda a conundrum as it is extremely difficult to do in town fighting when the guys run away every time one of them gets hit. Whew!  Any ideas on how to increase their staying power. Thanks.

2 hours ago, transporter said:

I think I remember something being said about the soldiers response being tweaked and if so perhaps it was over tweaked.

Yes it was tweaked. The flight response was toned down - quite a lot. The change that was made to help the TacAI get out from under a artillery barrage when men did not have good cover was a problem. It introduced the side effect that troops turned and ran for cover really easily. So, you are playing the game with that stuff fixed. Sorry - not what you wanted to hear. Having said that...

2 hours ago, transporter said:

It is kinda a conundrum as it is extremely difficult to do in town fighting when the guys run away every time one of them gets hit. Whew!  Any ideas on how to increase their staying power.

C2 matters quite a bit. Squads and teams in C2 are less likely to get wobbly. And as you are no doubt totally aware being part of the side winning the battle for fire power also helps a lot. When you are trying to move into new ground try to have a scout that stays in C2 so that before you commit more teams you have an idea of where the enemy is. Use that info to plan area fire orders on the enemy locations and how you will manoeuvre to get those opportunities.

I'm probably not tell you stuff you don't already know you likely just need to learn to get the soldiers in game to do what you want. Check this post and thread out which talks about C2 in the game: C2 & Information Sharing - Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy - Battlefront.com Community

5 hours ago, transporter said:

Any ideas on how to increase their staying power. Thanks.

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Check this post and thread out which talks about C2 in the game: 

Below is in updated C2 post without the photobucket vandalism. 

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Below is in updated C2 post without the photobucket vandalism. 

man they are pissing me off.  after I paid to upgrade they sent me a survey as to why I upgraded.  my response - because you guys are a$$holes.  They still get the last laugh.

One thing that spooks troops (in the game) more than anything else is not knowing where incoming fire is coming from. They'll stand and fight toe-to-toe with infantry just meters away but if their comrades start dropping from an unseen attacker from an unknown direction they freak. A workaround for this is to always use multiple units. One unit gets hit and suppressed, the second and third units ID the shooter and return fire.

Most troops go to ground on receiving fire at a broadly similar rate (I.e., no one likes getting shot).

Where C2 links help is in the recovery time - a squad with a valid link (e.g., to an unsuppressed platoon leader) will recover from cowering faster, and so will win a firefight iteratively. Over the course of some minutes they’ll spend fewer seconds in the dirt, so their cumulative volume of fire will increase over an isolated squad.