Spotting on open maps

I recently switched from Final Blitzkrieg to Red Thunder and noticed that I fail to spot enemies in defensive positions despite my spotters being in the first line and having a good line of sight due to the open terrain. This obviously results in casualties as my units are getting suprised by enemy fire. When I try to be more careful I often don`t have the time to achieve my objectives.

For example, in the second mission of the "Blunting the spear" campaing I lost because some hidden T-34s took out too much tanks of my own. Is there any way I can find a balance between careful spotting and pushing forward?

I can't recall anyone complain about T34s outspotting the Germans before. ;)

This is all dependent on circumstances. Stationary units will spot better than moving units, crack units will spot better than green units. Units linked to their command will relay spotting info through the lines of communication faster. Its common for players to run scouts forward to a good position then have them sit and just sit and observe. Often you eventually start seeing (?) icons popping up signifying sounds contacts or detected movement (Green troops tend to make more noise and shuffle around more than veterans).

48 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I can't recall anyone complain about T34s outspotting the Germans before. ;)

This is all dependent on circumstances. Stationary units will spot better than moving units, crack units will spot better than green units. Units linked to their command will relay spotting info through the lines of communication faster. Its common for players to run scouts forward to a good position then have them sit and just sit and observe. Often you eventually start seeing (?) icons popping up signifying sounds contacts or detected movement (Green troops tend to make more noise and shuffle around more than veterans).

Alright. Next time I will try not to move my scouts that much. Thanks

35 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Galaxy-Eyes.....Were your tanks opened up? 

In the WWII titles it's usually best to keep tanks unbuttoned until the shooting actually starts (maybe not in cities).

Yeah they were, maybe I was just unlucky with the line of sight.

I would counsel going slooooooooow.  Within the limits of the scenario time, take all the time you can for recon and spotting.

Never send a squad anywhere a team hasn't been.  Never send a platoon anywhere a squad hasn't been.  Never send a company anywhere a platoon hasn't been.

Never send armor anywhere infantry hasn't been.

Nothing's 100% effective, but a good thing to keep in mind.