Jump to content
WhiteWolf65

Bridge damage and destroying bridges

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Good morning gents,

I've only been playing the newest version of Combat Mission since the beginning of this year. In that time I have noticed that direct hits on bridges by large caliber artillery fire seems to do no damage to them, at least they haven't in any scenario I've played. Was this intentional? Also, it would be great if combat engineers could destroy heavier bridges that have pre-placed demolition charges (placed during the scenario set-up phase) and then be able to blow them sky high as the scenario is played. JMTCW.

**Chris**

Edited by WhiteWolf65
Getting better, only one edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

I've only been playing the newest version of Combat Mission since the beginning of this year. In that time I have noticed that direct hits on bridges by large caliber artillery fire seems to do no damage to them, at least they haven't in any scenario I've played. Was this intentional?

It is actually causing damage. There are no partial damaged bridge models and skins so the bridge itself will go from looking brand new to destroyed without warning.

Yes, you can destroy bridges with artillery and direct fire.

Yes, that is intentional :)

As @Sgt.Squarehead pointed out (teased?), you can also use IEDs to destroy bridges.

 

5 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Also, it would be great if combat engineers could destroy heavier bridges that have pre-placed demolition charges (placed during the scenario set-up phase) and then be able to blow them sky high as the scenario is played. JMTCW.

This is an often asked for feature that BFC have so far declined to implement. Some threads that discuss this:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IanL said:

There are no partial damaged bridge models and skins so the bridge itself will go from looking brand new to destroyed without warning.

Which can be rather unfortunate if you have a platoon of tanks on it when that change occurs!  :o

Not sure if @WhiteWolf65 has CM:SF2 or not, but a Huge IED will make almost anything go away.....280 IEDs (& 45 VBIEDs) will do this:

Ram4Lpg.jpg

84gAGvq.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Which can be rather unfortunate if you have a platoon of tanks on it when that change occurs!

Are you saying you would not cross a visibly damaged bridge? Are you sure about that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All bridges are not created equal. You're never going to knock down the huge Arnhem and Eindhoven bridges in the CMBN Holland module . But bridge size & strength steadily decreases until you reach the tiny wooden walkway bridge which (I think) can be collapsed with a few hand grenades or satchel charges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MikeyD said:

All bridges are not created equal. You're never going to knock down the huge Arnhem and Eindhoven bridges in the CMBN Holland module . But bridge size & strength steadily decreases until you reach the tiny wooden walkway bridge which (I think) can be collapsed with a few hand grenades or satchel charges

Yes, I understand that you couldn't take out the bridge at Arnhem or Eindhoven. And I do understand now that other bridges can be damaged or collapsed much like a building does when it suffers damage from indirect or direct fire. Not sure about the grenade but a satchel charge definitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

An IED on a bridge can be used to simulate a demo charged rigged bridge in CMSF2.      

XTS2KZc.jpg

kHDa3uoh.jpg

OpoklDrh.jpg

Yes, that could be done. However, we don't have IEDs in the World War II Combat Mission games, do we? Too tired to look and see right now. Rough day yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sadly not.  :( 

Only CM:A, CM:SF & CM:SF2 currently have IEDs.....They can be used quite creatively with a bit of planning, for everything from suicide bombers through to ballistic missile strikes (or even 'Arc Light' missions in Vietnam).  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Yes, that could be done. However, we don't have IEDs in the World War II Combat Mission games, do we? Too tired to look and see right now. Rough day yesterday.

Nope, no IEDs in any titles except CMSF and CMA.  My friend @Sgt.Squarehead just ninja'd me as I typed.  :)

IIRC artillery of 150mm or larger may bring down a bridge.  Damage to a bridge is cumulative over time.  I once had a knocked out tank burning under a bridge.  When the ammo cooked off in the tank it brought the bridge down. 

But yes it would be cool if it was possible to intentionally demo bridges in all the titles.  

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Nope, no IEDs in any titles except CMSF and CMA.  My friend @Sgt.Squarehead just ninja'd me as I typed.  :)

IIRC artillery of 150mm or larger may bring down a bridge.  Damage to a bridge is cumulative over time.  I once had a knocked out tank burning under a bridge.  When the ammo cooked off in the tank it brought the bridge down. 

But yes it would be cool if it was possible to intentionally demo bridges in all the titles.  

    

Too bad about the IEDs. Eh well, make do with what we have. Never know, they (BFC) could come up with something for us concerning this topic for the WW II titles in the future.

Midwest huh? I am originally from Toledo (born there) but have been living in the southeast for most of my life since my parents and I moved here in 1956.

Later guys. I gotta rest. Get these O2 sats up.

**Chris**

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tend to resort to using the demolition gun on the AVRE to deal with the bridges in CMBN. At least the Sappers task gets to stay with them rather than being outsouced to the Gunners then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

Tend to resort to using the demolition gun on the AVRE to deal with the bridges in CMBN. At least the Sappers task gets to stay with them rather than being outsouced to the Gunners then.

That's a cool plan. How many AVRE rounds does it take to bring down a big stone bridge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I tried to bring down a big span of a big 300 meter modern concrete bridge in CMBS using F15s but couldn't make a dent in it. Used against a smaller 56 meter span I was able to knock it down with one bomb. I could've sworn I've been able to knock down a big bridge in CMBS but I had no luck with it in this test.

CMBS and CMSF2 give you access to air-dropped two thousand pound precision bombs. CMFB and CMBN gives you some FO control over aircraft though their poor bombing accuracy is as liable to miss your bridge target as hit it. Battleship 14 inch guns are extremely accurate but take 19 minutes to call in. And how often in the CM titles do you get access to battleship artillery? :o

 

 

F15 versus bridge.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IanL said:

That's a cool plan. How many AVRE rounds does it take to bring down a big stone bridge?

Do not have any specifics on numbers but safe to say the answer is quite alot. And should add that with the target command they do not of course realise your trying to demolish the bridge and so also waste a fair bit of rounds from thier Besa machine guns. Not an cheap solution either.

Also do not think I've tried on anything so big as in the screenshots posted above either, more this sort of size;

LuS4MIg.png

wTRBIYM.png

I sense a test coming on when I am on my time off work this month. Would be good to know specific numbers for various bridges. As then could have forces fighting the delaying action on the far side while the Sappers are pounding the bridge to near destruction. Pause the pounding in order to bring the forces back to the home side, and then have the Sappers deliver the last coup de grace rounds. Rather than the delaying forces being on the home side trying to hold the enemy back and protect the AVRE (hence the overwatching Cromwell in screenshot above).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...