Rome to Victory Pre-orders are now open

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Hear, hear!!  Right on bro'!  I agree.  👍

One of the best things I've done (entertainment wise) has been to expand my (history) gaming horizons over the last four years or so. It started with a friend talking me into trying Rome II and sloooowly mushroomed to my present state. For the longest time all I was playing was CM with an occasional foray into an FPS or a stray strategy title. Now, I've got a bunch of historical games/franchises I am in love with and seem to always have some new DLC to look forward to. I have a game or multiple games covering most major (and some obscure)  historical eras I am interested in, so I can change flavors or interests and then play in that setting any time it strikes me. Which makes moments like Elvis's heads up not so bothersome as it used to be. I hear/read a lot of people pining away about the good ol' days of gaming but as far as I am concerned, I am LIVING the good ol' days right now. I've never had as much gaming happiness as I have at this juncture. And it's only gonna get better!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 7/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, Mord said:

You should give Order Of Battle WWII a try. It's a lot of fun with just enough depth to make it interesting without bogging down in minutiae. It reminds me of Unity but a bit deeper with a different art aesthetic of course. It's free to try on Steam. You can play one scenario from each DLC if I remember correctly. I played the Pacific tutorials and had so much fun I got the DLCs a couple days later. The thing I really like about it is you can play as the Japs (starting in China), Marines, Army, Burma with the CW, then there's the Winter War as the Finns, and of course the typical stuff like Germans in North Africa, East Front, etc. Check'er out if you don't know about it, it's a great laid back beer & pretzels game.

Thanks Mord... just got the free download for OOB WWII, played the boot camp missions. The game is really enjoyable!

I'm going to get the Blitzkrieg, North Africa and Marines campaigns now!

12 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Thanks Mord... just got the free download for OOB WWII, played the boot camp missions. The game is really enjoyable!

I'm going to get the Blitzkrieg, North Africa and Marines campaigns now!

You're very welcome! Yeah, it's a blast. I am in the middle of the Japanese campaign in China (Morning Sun). I play off and on, here and there. It's a nice change of pace from heavier games like CM or Total War. I like the change of scale and play style plus all the really cool theaters. I can get a fun history (WWII) fix at a nice leisurely pace. I am so glad I quit being a stubborn CM snob LOL.

Mord.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

It was the MREs..........  Well actually the MREs had a reputation for the opposite effect :D  :lol:.  AIRBORNE!!!

What’s an “MRE?” Is it like a C-ration?

On 7/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, Ultradave said:

So did C-Rations. I never saw an MRE (yeah, I'm old). I could never manage to choke down more than 1 1/2 C-Rats a day. Sat there like rocks.

Ham and lima beans or beef slices with potatoes?

your unit must not have worked you hard enough if you could’t Eat more than 1 1/2 rats a day.

I got C-rats that had Marlboro cigarettes with no filters in the accessory packs (1940’s vintage I believe). I must say though, that wasn’t really unusual. It was in 1969, and only 24 years after WWII ended. By the way, regarding the P38 can opener, I knew some assemblers/mechanics who worked for NASA on the space program, and they used P38s to open rocket component cans.

Edited by Vet 0369

Just now, MOS:96B2P said:

Meal Ready to Eat.  They replaced the C ration. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal,_Ready-to-Eat

I’m sorry, I was being facetious. My Mother was given some by FEMA after a hurricane in FL.She didn’t want them, so she gave them to me. They were good.

I got out of the USMC Reserves in 1981, and still had never seen an MRE.

1 minute ago, Vet 0369 said:

I’m sorry, I was being facetious. My Mother was given some by FEMA after a hurricane in FL.She didn’t want them, so she gave them to me. They were good.  I got out of the USMC Reserves in 1981, and still had never seen an MRE.

:D  Okay.  The MREs were just starting when I was in, 1983 to 1987.  Had C-rats in basic and MREs in permanent party.  I vaguely remember having Lurps a few times also (I think it was LRPs?).  It's all good when you're really hungry. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

:D  Okay.  The MREs were just starting when I was in, 1983 to 1987.  Had C-rats in basic and MREs in permanent party.  I vaguely remember having Lurps a few times also (I think it was LRPs?).  It's all good when you're really hungry. :lol: 

The only Lurps I remember were the Army Ranger long-range recon patrols (LRRP).

I’m with you on the “it’s all good when you’re really hungry). My Father had a stock phrase when I was being picky at meals. He’d say “Just wait until you go to Boot Camp! You’ll eat anything that’s near you.” He was right of course, he was a Marine after all.

Sorry about the trips down Memory Lane. To get back on subject, I bought the pre-sale as soon as it came up. I love the way the formations, equipment, and tactics change with each release as we move through the war years. I might play all of the campaigns and scenarios, or I might not, but just having the module is a comfort for me.

8 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

your unit must not have worked you hard enough if you could’t Eat more than 1 1/2 rats a day.

Yeah, right. Check my avatar.

We supplemented with ramen, trail mix, whatever else we could pack that would keep for a few days. I'd always eat any of the fruit - instant energy. No one seemed to like apricots but I loved them so I'd trade my cannonball cakes for apricots any day. Needed too much water to choke those cakes down.

I was checking the new R2V TO&E and I discovered that some of the incoming vehicles are currently in FI+GL (v2.02). This is the case of the Pz IV J early, Brummbar (mid) or M4A1. Can this be a mistake on the R2V website store? Could somebody of BF team please reply to that? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jumpete said:

I was checking the new R2V TO&E and I discovered that some of the incoming vehicles are currently in FI+GL (v2.02). This is the case of the Pz IV J early, Brummbar (mid) or M4A1. Can this be a mistake on the R2V website store? Could somebody of BF team please reply to that? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you can get R2V without GL, which would make sense.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:49 PM, Frenchy56 said:

I'm pretty sure you can get R2V without GL, which would make sense.

Thanks Frenchy56, I think you're right. That is a reasonable answer, specially since most of the incoming forces fought in a timeframe longer than wich R2V will cover.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, sburke said:

LOL criticized when they don’t provide updates and criticized when they do.... no good deed goes unpunished. 

Where is the criticism?  Being a little overly sensitive?  I was pointing out that at least we got the info, as opposed to going months without hearing anything. This kind of "the world is against us" approach to customer engagement sure doesn't help BFC's rep around the web.