Rome to Victory Pre-orders are now open

You can blame much of popular WWII vehicle names on *hobbyist experts* shortly after the war. Von Senger und Etterlin's post-war writings  gave us a LOT of common German vehicle names (which were then perpetuated by Tamiya). On the allied side, names largely came from post-war Brit vehicle lists that gave names to vehicles that were never given names during the war. There was even a post-war Italian sci-fi periodical that published detailed descriptions of Nazi flying saucers(!) that haunt the dark web to this day. :blink:

Edited by MikeyD

8 minutes ago, Steven482 said:

Guys,

what's the benefit in pre-ordering?

Eventually I will get a license key that will activate the game on the same day as if I would order it on the release date.

Am I missing something?

Steven

It used to be that pre-orders got a few days jump on the rabble at large. The last few times that hasn't been the case.

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The opportunity to support a small, independent game company, that produces some of the best WWII & Modern wargames in the world, maybe?  ;)

Which pretty much just leaves the above...

The benefit of pre-ordering is largely the developer's. its a way to gauge the degree of public interest in a product so they can plan accordingly. It's probably not as reliable indicator these days as it was a decade ago. I (vaguely) recall BFC was caught off guard by the unexpected success of basegame CMFI and had to scramble to get more manuals printed up.

3 hours ago, Steven482 said:

Guys,

what's the benefit in pre-ordering?

Eventually I will get a license key that will activate the game on the same day as if I would order it on the release date.

Am I missing something?

Steven

I was under the impression that it gives BFC an idea of how many hard copies of discs and manuals they will need to support the launch of a new module. That way there is no delay in keeping up with demand on release. 

17 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I was under the impression that it gives BFC an idea of how many hard copies of discs and manuals they will need to support the launch of a new module. That way there is no delay in keeping up with demand on release. 

But can you still get disks and manuals sent to you? I never did buy them and turned down stuff being sent to me - electronic docs only for me since 1999.

The first one is the halftrack mounted mortar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M21_Mortar_Motor_Carriage

the M4A1 is an early variant of the M4 Sherman tank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman_variants

from Wikipedia for the M4A1

Continental radial engine; one-piece cast hull; 75mm cannon. Last production units of the M4A1 used a modified hull with large drivers' hatches. Users: US, Britain, South Africa, Poland(M4A1(76)W), France (small numbers).

On 7/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, IanL said:

But can you still get disks and manuals sent to you? I never did buy them and turned down stuff being sent to me - electronic docs only for me since 1999.

Yes you can, Ian (disks, anyway. I have the CMSF2 disk sitting on a shelf atm).  I always order them along with digital downloads. I like having the physical copies around. Gives me a sense of ownership, lol!

19 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

The first one is the halftrack mounted mortar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M21_Mortar_Motor_Carriage

the M4A1 is an early variant of the M4 Sherman tank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman_variants

from Wikipedia for the M4A1

The thing is that two M4A1 variants are already in the base game. Not the M21 though.

Edited by Frenchy56

On 7/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, Sequoia said:

Someday I hope there's another odds and ends package for CMBN with Brummbars. They were present in the Normandy campaign.

It is strange that they would not have been in at least the vehicle pack.  Sturmpanzer-Abteilung 217 was present and around the Caen area, 7 August.  They escaped the Falaise pocket and the remaining vehicles from the 217 were used in Wacht am Rhein. (Battle of the Bulge) near St, Vith and then later in the Ruhr area.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, IanL said:

But can you still get disks and manuals sent to you?

I don't think so. I noticed that when I put in my order for R2V that that option is no longer available. Both will be sadly missed. The disks were good to have if for any reason I needed a fresh, clean copy of the game, something I did need on several occasions. That was because I could DL off a disk much faster than off the web.

Michael

On 7/11/2019 at 2:29 AM, Frenchy56 said:

The thing is that two M4A1 variants are already in the base game. Not the M21 though.

This probably refers to the M4A1 mortar carrier, a predecessor to the M21, not to the M4A1 medium tank. As I recall mortar carriers weren't coded yet when CMFI and GL came out.

http://americangimuseum.org/collections/restored-vehicles/m4a1-mortar-carrier-halftrack-1943/

Edited by General Liederkranz