Rome to Victory Pre-orders are now open

4 minutes ago, Artkin said:

In quick battles I scrolled through the maps 0-431 in meet, and attack, and I only saw four maps that lit up on the Gustav Line icon on the bottom left. 

I don't think it works that way.  Those 4 maps show it simply because they have something that absolutely requires GL for some reason, but it is highly unlikely that map 383 requires GL while 386 doesn't with 386 not also coming as part of GL.  I am surprised any of the maps themselves require a module.  Not sure what GL added in terrain that would do that and only show up on 4 maps.  Damn and I can't look right now......grrrr curiosity is killing me.

3 hours ago, Artkin said:

Whereas, for instance, the MG expansion for CMBN was a tremendous addition.

Yeah, Market Garden is a very solid module. I believe it was the first that introduced stock master maps. I think it is important to point out that MG set a standard that is followed and exceeded by subsequent releases. The maps for scenario's and campaigns in Black Sea are very well done, and I personally think that Final Blitzkrieg has the best detailed, historically accurate maps of any CM title. Based on this, it would appear that quality is increasing, not decreasing. Even if R2V ships with 2 campaigns and 8 scenario's (which may not be the case) I'm very confident that those campaigns and scenario's will follow the high standard and be exceptional. 

Plus, don't forget about the possibility of battle packs. I hope we see more battle packs for all of the games. Its a great way to add more playable content and maps to a game, even a finished one like CMBN and soon CMFI. Who knows, if there is a campaign you really want to see in CMFI, maybe the next battle pack will be made by yourself. 

3 hours ago, Ts4EVER said:

I am a bit disappointed, I don't play quick battles at all, so campaigns and scenarios are where it's at for me. BTW, any infos as to the the themes of the campaigns?

I think it was mentioned that at least one of the campaigns would be following elements of the US 10th Mountain division in 1945, and I also remember mention of the tank offensives through the Po Valley may get a campaign as well. Not sure if that is still the case though. 

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

Yeah, Market Garden is a very solid module. I believe it was the first that introduced stock master maps. I think it is important to point out that MG set a standard that is followed and exceeded by subsequent releases. The maps for scenario's and campaigns in Black Sea are very well done, and I personally think that Final Blitzkrieg has the best detailed, historically accurate maps of any CM title. Based on this, it would appear that quality is increasing, not decreasing. Even if R2V ships with 2 campaigns and 8 scenario's (which may not be the case) I'm very confident that those campaigns and scenario's will follow the high standard and be exceptional. 

Good point.  The AI advances have increased the complexity of scenarios as well.  CMFB was a fest.  Lots of good material to work from making overlays and a lot of folks working them.

6 hours ago, sburke said:

Good point.  The AI advances have increased the complexity of scenarios as well.  CMFB was a fest.  Lots of good material to work from making overlays and a lot of folks working them.

Damn, I wish I felt better so I could start working on some maps. I'll just have to let my body and mind decide when they are ready for me to get started.

15 hours ago, Artkin said:

In quick battles I scrolled through the maps 0-431 in meet, and attack, and I only saw four maps that lit up on the Gustav Line icon on the bottom left. Not sure how I can access these maps, I redownloaded the game and no luck. What are the names of the new maps? Someone tell me please! :(

Well that's a bug - probably. The QB maps that came with GL should not be flagged as requiring GL - I think. I am not 100% sure because I have never seen an internal conversation about if a module's additional maps should be usable with out the module. I just never really thought about it to ask the question.

Here is what I am sure of: GL added a non trivial number of QB maps. I do not know the count though. The reason those QB maps are flagged to require GL is because there is still a selected unit in the units list. This gets cleared when actually used but its presences flags the map as requiring the module.

It seems like handful of maps accidentally had a hanger on unit in the list that should be removed. I will seek clarification.

12 hours ago, sburke said:

I am probably in the minority, but I would pay someone to go back into CMBN and CMFI to update the stock scenarios, enhance,  and rebalance them with the new editor tools.

8 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

I am probably in the minority, but I would pay someone to go back into CMBN and CMFI to update the stock scenarios, enhance,  and rebalance them with the new editor tools.

It would be pretty cool, but in the list of things for BF to do it simply isn’t there. Also has a knock on affect in that those individuals wouldn’t be working on scenarios for new releases. I am with you though on a willingness to pay if they were redone. The triggers can add so much to the responsiveness in an engagement for single player. 

13 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Why not just dive into the editor and do it yourself?  Editing an existing scenario is a great way to learn how things work and in my experience, if you need help, you only need to ask someone or make a post describing your issue.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Why not just dive into the editor and do it yourself?  Editing an existing scenario is a great way to learn how things work and in my experience, if you need help, you only need to ask someone or make a post describing your issue.  B)

Agreed while it may be a little difficult 1st time around, once you get the hang of it using copy and paste you can then create multiple plans that keeps the FOW aspect.  If you don’t play pbem this is one way to get your fix for more playability. 

The main reason is I have more money than time.  I am always willing to share my success with people willing to save me time.  

Just thought it would be a good model for someone not involved in BFC's volunteer brigade.  They can approach BFC and have a plan and timeline for updating by game or module.  BFC or volunteers QAs them.  They get posted on BFC and $ can be split.

If not, I'll just play what I have when I have time.  The short of it is, I want to spend my time playing, not rebuilding scenarios.

btw, I already know the editor fairly well.  And I know its not as simple updating scenarios as some of the people on this thread are saying.  Listen to the BFC volunteers and builders talk about how time consuming it is.  Steve even goes on about it at times.  Hence my request.  Not asking BFC to take much time out of their schedule.  Just asking.

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

btw, I already know the editor fairly well.  And I know its not as simple updating scenarios as some of the people on this thread are saying.  Listen to the BFC volunteers and builders talk about how time consuming it is.  Steve even goes on about it at times.  Hence my request.  Not asking BFC to take much time out of their schedule.  Just asking.

Yes and no.  Based on the experience from CMSF2, if you start with a good scenario and map it is actually not so difficult.

Starting from scratch = hard

starting with a not very good scenario = starting from scratch

having to add water = potentially a big pita

starting with a good map and a good base scenario = not so bad 

but it worth asking anyway.  As you note it isn’t asking for engineering time or ToE so if there is a gap why not?  For what it is worth the battlepacks so far developed have been usually an individual effort.  It is possible and if this is something someone felt they were interested in I am pretty sure BF wouldn’t object.  No that is not my hand going up, I was just checking my bald spot. 

1 hour ago, sburke said:

having to add water = potentially a big pita

starting with a good map and a good base scenario = not so bad 

And that is my point right there.  It looks easy until someone gets punched in the face.  I think the history of almost everything at BFC has been its a lot harder than people thought and planned.

3 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

And I know its not as simple updating scenarios as some of the people on this thread are saying.

Actually it kind of is, once you have a handle on how things work and some people to bounce & test ideas with.

3 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Listen to the BFC volunteers and builders talk about how time consuming it is.

This however is absolutely true.....A fast process it is not, but as @sburke says, if you are starting with a decent scenario, most of the hard work is already done, barring certain exceptions, such as real water, already noted.

I build the stuff that I build because it's fun, for the challenge and because I want to build it.....Frankly, given how time consuming it is, to get me to stop doing that and start doing something that someone else wanted, would require a very considerable application of $$$$$ indeed (waiting for BF to do it would probably be faster and definitely cheaper)!  ;)

Scenarios are as complex or as simple, as quick or as time consuming as you make them. If you treat a scenario as a doctoral dissertation on a real world battle its going to be a lot of hard work.
Its ironic that most of my labor involves creating AI movement orders for the side that players are least likely to play against. The hardest AI to plan is for the attacker; the side the player is most likely to play himself is the attacker. So they'll likely to never see my labored-over AI orders in action.

Placed my order. This has been a must buy for me as soon as it was announced. I can't resist any CM content featuring Commonwealth forces.

For the hours I will put into this, $35 is very reasonable.. especially as the Indian rupee is stronger against the dollar these days. 

I'm still a few games behind (haven't got FB or Black Sea) so the pace of the releases doesn't bother me. Has anyone actually finished every campaign and battle that had been released so far?

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As the name was actually invented by Americans, they can spell it how they like.  :)

Yeah I know they were not called that by the Germans. But it was spelled Brummbär by the Allied intelligence :)

Also, I got the chance to post a picture of a drunk bear.

6 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

But it was spelled Brummbär by the Allied intelligence :)

No, it was spelled:

GRIZZLY BEAR

In the US report.  ;)

6 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Also, I got the chance to post a picture of a drunk bear.

This however, is a very valid point!  :D

PS -  There's no way an Allied intelligence report ever spelled it 'Brummbär' for this exact reason.....WWII Allied typewriters did not have a 'ä' key.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead