Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just upgraded to Shock Force 2 and hoping that we see an IDF module for CMSF2 in the near future. Would luv to see the Merkava and all of it's variants.  I did a quick search and didn't find a topic on the IDF.

Thanks,

Mast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly certain the devs said there wouldn't be any additional content for Shock Force 2.

However, provided certain ghoulish characters get what they want and war errupts between Iran and the US, maybe we'll see a Combat Mission title (complete with CM3 engine hopefully) 20 years down the line featuring all the favorites from the conflict zone - which no doubt means the IDF would be included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CMSF2 timeline roughly coincides (give or take a year) with Israel's last attempt to invade Lebanon, a disastrous operation that didn't make it a dozen miles into the country and eventually resulted in the collapse of the Israeli government. On the practical side, concocting an Israeli TO&E structure would be daunting to say the least. They're not exactly forthcoming about their military stats and force structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah unfortunately not likely.   As @Xorg_Xalargskynoted CMSF2 is pretty much considered done as in no more future content. It would have to be under some other new CM family and if that is even a glimmer of a thought for BF they haven’t told anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

I'm fairly certain the devs said there wouldn't be any additional content for Shock Force 2.

However, provided certain ghoulish characters get what they want and war errupts between Iran and the US, maybe we'll see a Combat Mission title (complete with CM3 engine hopefully) 20 years down the line featuring all the favorites from the conflict zone - which no doubt means the IDF would be included.

We need that war to happen so we can play a game about it! 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shock Force 2 is done? That's kinda strange to me. Since 1948 there's been battles/wars between Israel and it's neighbors. Arab/Israeli War (1948), Suez Crisis (1956), Six Day War (1967), War of Attrition (1967-70), Yom Kippur War (1973), etc.  There's many battles/wars that can be done and that's my point. I would like to see IDF's - M50/M51 Shermans, Centurions, Magachs, Sho't Kals,  Merkavas and all of the other tanks that were used by both sides. I would like to see the big tank battle that happen on the Golan heights during the Yom Kippur War. Hopefully we see a game in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mast said:

Shock Force 2 is done? That's kinda strange to me. Since 1948 there's been battles/wars between Israel and it's neighbors. Arab/Israeli War (1948), Suez Crisis (1956), Six Day War (1967), War of Attrition (1967-70), Yom Kippur War (1973), etc.  There's many battles/wars that can be done and that's my point. I would like to see IDF's - M50/M51 Shermans, Centurions, Magachs, Sho't Kals,  Merkavas and all of the other tanks that were used by both sides. I would like to see the big tank battle that happen on the Golan heights during the Yom Kippur War. Hopefully we see a game in the near future.

Why are you pick up my text my hope my wishes ;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BFC makes games about subject matter they like.

So far, they haven't shown any proclivity to liking Arab/Israeli wars, Korea, Viet Nam, or Fulda Gap.

I'd love any of those, but...

source.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avalon Hill did a cardboard counter game in the 1970’s called “Arab-Israeli Wars” (I owned it along with “Starship Troopers”) that morphed into “Squad Leader” and “Advanced Squad Leader (ASL).” Combat Mission is an evolution of ASL for computers. It could be that there is way too much “ENERGY” around the whole Israeli/Palestinian issues and conflicts for BFC to want to open that whole can of worms. As much as some want to use CMSF2 as a base for “real world” conflicts, CMSF2 remains a FICTIONAL  setting, and before anyone tries to use CMBS as a counter-argument for a real-life, reality-based example, CMBS was in the pipeline for many years before the actual event occurred, and CMBS still remains a FICTIONAL event, not a game about a contemporary conflict.

 

I suspect BFC wants no part of that type of game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

It could be that there is way too much “ENERGY” around the whole Israeli/Palestinian issues and conflicts for BFC to want to open that whole can of worms.

This.  :mellow:

The CM:BS forum is quite bad enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, Mast said:

Shock Force 2 is done? That's kinda strange to me. Since 1948 there's been battles/wars between Israel and it's neighbors. Arab/Israeli War (1948), Suez Crisis (1956), Six Day War (1967), War of Attrition (1967-70), Yom Kippur War (1973), etc.  There's many battles/wars that can be done and that's my point. I would like to see IDF's - M50/M51 Shermans, Centurions, Magachs, Sho't Kals,  Merkavas and all of the other tanks that were used by both sides. I would like to see the big tank battle that happen on the Golan heights during the Yom Kippur War. Hopefully we see a game in the near future.

SF was a specific fictional scenario of conflict in 2008.  So yes it is done …. sadly.  CM families tend to be very restrictive anyway, even if it weren't done it would never cover 1948/1956/1967-1970/1973 etc etc.  Heck most base games don't cover more than a few months.

If BF decides it wants to cover any of that it would be a specific family per each....not that I would have a problem with that. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had joked elsewhere (a long time ago) that BFC was in danger of running out of 'popular' conflicts to cover. If they were faced with having to decide whether to do the 1973 war or the Chaco war between Bolivia and Paraguay they'd probably opt for the 1973 war, for no other reason than they could pick up much of the 1973 Arab armor. If they had to decide whether to do the 1973 war or the WWII North Africa campaign, though, I think we can guess which they'd chose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                 I only see the idf being done as a family of its own and only one of its conflicts. Most likely an old one. Personally a Barbarossa module or game would suit me better. Smolensk 41? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...