This may be old news to some, but I hadn't heard of it until I read it in an e-mail from Aspyr last night:

If you are considering upgrading to macOS Catalina please note:

• macOS Catalina will end support for 32-bit Apps.

• Upgrading to Catalina will cause many Aspyr games to no longer work.

I haven't independently confirmed this yet, so it may be a tempest in a teacup, but I thought I'd mention it here to find out what else is known on the subject. Obviously if true, it would effect more than just Aspyr games.

Michael

Yes, you occasionally get messages on your computer when starting up an application, something to the effect that this version will not work in the future and to request an updated version from the developer. Many already are 64-bit. Many though are not and will have to be updated. Presumably, developers would be working on doing this, so as not to lose a sales base.

Here’s the official word:

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000214186?utm_source=catalina&utm_medium=Email

Some developers are not updating software, or require one to replace it at a significant cost.

Since I refuse to go to subscriptions for photoshop and Lightroom (among others) I’ve been gradually phasing applications that will not work (and are due for replacement anyways) with others. 

Edited by Bud Backer

5 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Yes, you occasionally get messages on your computer when starting up an application, something to the effect that this version will not work in the future and to request an updated version from the developer.

I've gotten a few of those but did not know why. Now it becomes clear, and I will have to start bugging the designers to upgrade their product. Which reminds me...is CM 64-bit friendly yet?

Michael

Under the apple icon, upper left corner of screen, click about this mac.  Then click system report, then under software, applications then find your CM programs.  It will tell if the programs are 64 bit or not.  All mine, Normandy, Blitzkrieg, Red Thunder, Shock Force 2 Fortress Italy are 64 bit.

16 hours ago, transporter said:

Under the apple icon, upper left corner of screen, click about this mac.  Then click system report, then under software, applications then find your CM programs.  It will tell if the programs are 64 bit or not.  All mine, Normandy, Blitzkrieg, Red Thunder, Shock Force 2 Fortress Italy are 64 bit.

Thanks. I never knew about that trick. The vast majority of my apps are already 64-bit; interestingly most of the few that aren't are games.

Michael

On 6/19/2019 at 2:06 PM, MikeyD said:

Apple products have become really REALLY annoying in recent years. between purposefully slowing down older iphones in order to force you to upgrade, and now this.

I bought an old Note 4 since it's the last one with a removable battery. I was really hoping to get a hold of the Note 7, and actually had it in the mail when it was recalled. Unfortunately I never recieved it. This phone is ridiculously slow for no reason at times. Always gets horrible reception. I'm about ready to blow ATT and Samsung up.