Youtube Game play question

ive learned a lot by watching Smartwargames videos but why do the enemy units always show up on his map?  when i play, i only see the enemy units when one of my units spots them.  the icons are also different then my game.  

here is an example, enemy units already visible at start of the game

44 minutes ago, chipw said:

why do the enemy units always show up on his map?  when i play, i only see the enemy units when one of my units spots them. 

There are two ways that you can see OpFor icons right from the beginning. One is by playing on Scenario author test mode. This video starts with the skill level set to Elite so unless there is video slight of hand that's not it.

The other way is first turn intel. Scenarios can be designed so that one side or the other can have early intelligence on the enemy positions. When that happens the intel is displayed using the contact icons ?. Watching a little of the second video it really does look like scenario author mode but it is also possible to swap out the ? icons for other ones. So the mod could be responsible. For example there is an icon for unknown infantry which is a ? with a solider figure. If you use a mode to swap that for a standard X icon for infantry very similar or the same as the one for fully spotted infantry then that would also explain the appearance of number of fully spotted X icons on the battlefield.

44 minutes ago, chipw said:

the icons are also different then my game.  

Icons can be modded. I don't know which mod those icons are from but for example here are the ones I created for CMSF:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2684

• 4 months later...

To clear up the rather confusing previous answer:

1) I play on Elite difficulty and not in test mode. In test mode there are no different transparency-level icons but all icons are always opaque i. e. have the same color intensity.  Furthermore all enemy 3D-models are visible even if nobody has spotted them yet. 

2) I use LT. Smash´s CMSF2 floating icons.

Edited by Aquila-CM