uniform modding

Well, first get something to open the texture files. Personally I use Paint Tool SAI because it's relatively lightweight and easy to use/learn. If you can't find it, try GIMP.

After that, navigate to your game files. You should find a folder named Mod Tools.

Inside are RezExplode and RezPack. RezExplode lets you decompress the game files inside the Data folder. Simply drop a .brz file (you should be able to figure out which ones are patches and which ones are base game files) from the Data folder into the input folder and execute RezExplode to do it.

It'll take a while to decompress the .brz depending on how big the file is, so maybe wait a bit, and when it's finished take a peek inside.

You will probably find a folder labeled "soldiers" inside the "exploded" folder that was generated (if not try another file). You can figure out the rest from that.

Edited by Frenchy56

Now, after you make your uniforms (unless you need some help with that too), you can make it so different variations show up whenever. First, you can number them so they can all show up in-game. Just put 2, 3, 4's and such at the end of the filenames. Second, you can use mod tags (labels that are between [ ] 's. For example [snow] or [rangers]) which you can use while creating/editing scenarios so they show up in only those scenarios, at the very end of the filename (after the numbers).

If you have more questions (which you definitely should have if you're starting out), just ask.

Edited by Frenchy56

I do need help with the uniforms. I got into the mod tools already. I just don't know how to make the uniforms. I know some people say photoshop. but im clueless after that. im not sure how that involves changing the color of the vest or adding chemlights to the vest or redoing the ACH. its all really confusing

Well, what you're trying to do is a bit more complicated indeed.

What you're gonna need is to texture the uniforms themselves, because that is relatively the easiest way to do what you want. You can switch models around as well, but personally I have never seen a mod that changes models to completely new ones.

Personally I don't actually do textures and such, I just do a bit of copy-paste work to do what I want to do, either from existing mods or things found on the internet. I recommend you take a look at existing mods and their files and try to wrap your head around how to add them to the texture you want to make. Maybe downloading a Multicam version of US troops should be a start. Maybe you'll find something that retextures the ACH to a bare version as well.

Edited by Frenchy56

It is actually not hard to make a simple uniform that looks half decent. You don't need to draw in all the wrinkles of the fabric or anything like that. Just pasting the flat texture in will look okay-ish.

Edited by puje

If you're still not sure where to start try to look at this. As you can see, the "new texture" is super simple. I just put the tiger stripe pattern side by side to fit the right areas and drew in some pockets. It won't win any awards, but it is a good place to start.
2025029157_uniformmod.thumb.jpg.5b5f699696285dde8ff7d9864f3902c0.jpg

CM Shock Force 2 2019-06-11 20-32-39-727.png

Edited by puje

1 hour ago, puje said:

If you're still not sure where to start try to look at this. As you can see, the "new texture" is super simple. I just put the tiger stripe pattern side by side to fit the right areas and drew in some pockets. It won't win any awards, but it is a good place to start.
2025029157_uniformmod.thumb.jpg.5b5f699696285dde8ff7d9864f3902c0.jpg

CM Shock Force 2 2019-06-11 20-32-39-727.png

that's essentially what im trying to get to. the vest I just want to change the color of that and the backpack and modify the ACH. 

75thrangerMCgen2tampak-1.jpg