Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well, that didn't take long :D  They just went live this morning and yes, totally legit.  We've been working on this deal with them for some time now.  It's something we haven't done with anybody in a long time so we're interested to see how things go.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Nice surprise :)

 

GOG.PNG

Now that is pretty cool.  I've never played these old games but have heard a lot about them.  I wouldn't mind taking Afrika Korps for a spin and see how the old game engine works.  However since these games are so old I wonder how/if they work with Windows 10 etc?  Has anyone bought these titles from GOG and did the games load and run correctly on Windows 10 & newer PCs?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Now that is pretty cool.  I've never played these old games but have heard a lot about them.  I wouldn't mind taking Afrika Korps for a spin and see how the old game engine works.  However since these games are so old I wonder how/if they work with Windows 10 etc?  Has anyone bought these titles from GOG and did the games load and run correctly on Windows 10 & newer PCs?   

Works perfectly :)

Win 10 - GTX 980 - i7/2600K - 16GB RAM (old but still good).

https://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_3_afrika_korps

Quote

Works on: Windows (7, 8, 10)

 

Edited by ratdeath
Added link to GOG and info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to Battlefront for doing/allowing this.  I've still got full installs from discs but should I ever need these then it's great that they are out there and I hope there is something of a CMx1 renaissance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reasons for not putting our current games onto other sales platforms still remains.  Sales would have to increase by a factor of 2 to break even.  We're not confident that is the likely outcome.  The older Gagmes, which (for now) we aren't even selling on our own site, aren't much of a risk for us :)

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI. If venturing back to the good old days... you may want to try these CMAK and CMBB campaign generators. 

CMAK: ROQC (Quick Campaign Generator)
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=2

CMBB: ROQC (Quick Campaign Generator)
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, that didn't take long :D  They just went live this morning and yes, totally legit.  We've been working on this deal with them for some time now.  It's something we haven't done with anybody in a long time so we're interested to see how things go.

Steve

I watched a documentary on these guys on Youtube a few months back and a lot of it was about how they had an entire division dedicated to tracking down the rights to old games all over the world. Some times it could take years. Some times rights for parts of the games could be spread all over the friggin' place.

I am curious. Did they approach you guys? Or did you contact them? I know CMBO was on there previously and you guys still exist, so I know they at least didn't have to figure out where you were, or who owned the rights. Just interested in who had the idea.

 

Mord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, that didn't take long :D  They just went live this morning and yes, totally legit.  We've been working on this deal with them for some time now.  It's something we haven't done with anybody in a long time so we're interested to see how things go.

Steve

Any chance we'll see "Drop Team"?  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see respect for the original CM games.  For those who have never enjoyed them, they require less micromanaging and are therefore simpler but more entertaining than the more hardcore/detailed CM2 sim games.  Also, in CM1 it's easy to play on huge maps (up to 8 Km x 4 Km in CMAK IIRC) with a regimental sized task force on each side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Erwin said:

but more entertaining

Your Honor, I object!

On what grounds, Counselor?

Hyperbole and subjective projection, stated as fact! He's leading the witnesses!

Objection sustained! The jury will dismiss the Prosecution's last remark. One more outburst like that Mr. Erwin and you will be charged with contempt! Blasphemy, like Sodomy, will not be tolerated by this court!

 

Perry Mordson.

Edited by Mord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mord said:

I watched a documentary on these guys on Youtube a few months back and a lot of it was about how they had an entire division dedicated to tracking down the rights to old games all over the world. Some times it could take years. Some times rights for parts of the games could be spread all over the friggin' place.

I am curious. Did they approach you guys? Or did you contact them? I know CMBO was on there previously and you guys still exist, so I know they at least didn't have to figure out where you were, or who owned the rights. Just interested in who had the idea.

 

Mord.

I contacted them in January. The first step was getting Strategy First's version off because any agreement we had with them expired a very very very long time ago (use of "verys" intentional). After that was squared away there were some technical issues that we didn't think we'd be able to overcome....but we did. It was a long back and forth journey to get them up. 

Personal side note.......During this period I re-installed and played all of them more than I have in over a decade. I never got "re-used" to the camera controls, because the CMx2 controls are second nature to me at this point, but the battles were still good fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Erwin said:

 Also, in CM1 it's easy to play on huge maps (up to 8 Km x 4 Km in CMAK IIRC) with a regimental sized task force on each side.

I tried to play Berli's huge nastiness "To the Volga" again. I have not attempted that in 15 years. Even on my significantly better rig it still struggles. He was a mad man to make that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are these any different from the versions from this site?  I could get my Battlefront version of CMBB to run on Win10, but the resolution was weird.  How is resolution with the GOG version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...