CM1 @ GOG

2 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Nice surprise :)

GOG.PNG

Now that is pretty cool.  I've never played these old games but have heard a lot about them.  I wouldn't mind taking Afrika Korps for a spin and see how the old game engine works.  However since these games are so old I wonder how/if they work with Windows 10 etc?  Has anyone bought these titles from GOG and did the games load and run correctly on Windows 10 & newer PCs?   

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Now that is pretty cool.  I've never played these old games but have heard a lot about them.  I wouldn't mind taking Afrika Korps for a spin and see how the old game engine works.  However since these games are so old I wonder how/if they work with Windows 10 etc?  Has anyone bought these titles from GOG and did the games load and run correctly on Windows 10 & newer PCs?   

Works perfectly :)

Win 10 - GTX 980 - i7/2600K - 16GB RAM (old but still good).

https://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_3_afrika_korps

Works on: Windows (7, 8, 10)

Edited by ratdeath
Added link to GOG and info

The reasons for not putting our current games onto other sales platforms still remains.  Sales would have to increase by a factor of 2 to break even.  We're not confident that is the likely outcome.  The older Gagmes, which (for now) we aren't even selling on our own site, aren't much of a risk for us :)

Steve

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, that didn't take long :D  They just went live this morning and yes, totally legit.  We've been working on this deal with them for some time now.  It's something we haven't done with anybody in a long time so we're interested to see how things go.

Steve

I watched a documentary on these guys on Youtube a few months back and a lot of it was about how they had an entire division dedicated to tracking down the rights to old games all over the world. Some times it could take years. Some times rights for parts of the games could be spread all over the friggin' place.

I am curious. Did they approach you guys? Or did you contact them? I know CMBO was on there previously and you guys still exist, so I know they at least didn't have to figure out where you were, or who owned the rights. Just interested in who had the idea.

Mord.

6 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, that didn't take long :D  They just went live this morning and yes, totally legit.  We've been working on this deal with them for some time now.  It's something we haven't done with anybody in a long time so we're interested to see how things go.

Steve

Any chance we'll see "Drop Team"?  :ph34r:

Good to see respect for the original CM games.  For those who have never enjoyed them, they require less micromanaging and are therefore simpler but more entertaining than the more hardcore/detailed CM2 sim games.  Also, in CM1 it's easy to play on huge maps (up to 8 Km x 4 Km in CMAK IIRC) with a regimental sized task force on each side.

39 minutes ago, Erwin said:

but more entertaining

Your Honor, I object!

On what grounds, Counselor?

Hyperbole and subjective projection, stated as fact! He's leading the witnesses!

Objection sustained! The jury will dismiss the Prosecution's last remark. One more outburst like that Mr. Erwin and you will be charged with contempt! Blasphemy, like Sodomy, will not be tolerated by this court!

Perry Mordson.

Edited by Mord

14 hours ago, Mord said:

I watched a documentary on these guys on Youtube a few months back and a lot of it was about how they had an entire division dedicated to tracking down the rights to old games all over the world. Some times it could take years. Some times rights for parts of the games could be spread all over the friggin' place.

I am curious. Did they approach you guys? Or did you contact them? I know CMBO was on there previously and you guys still exist, so I know they at least didn't have to figure out where you were, or who owned the rights. Just interested in who had the idea.

Mord.

I contacted them in January. The first step was getting Strategy First's version off because any agreement we had with them expired a very very very long time ago (use of "verys" intentional). After that was squared away there were some technical issues that we didn't think we'd be able to overcome....but we did. It was a long back and forth journey to get them up. 

Personal side note.......During this period I re-installed and played all of them more than I have in over a decade. I never got "re-used" to the camera controls, because the CMx2 controls are second nature to me at this point, but the battles were still good fun.

38 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Also, in CM1 it's easy to play on huge maps (up to 8 Km x 4 Km in CMAK IIRC) with a regimental sized task force on each side.

I tried to play Berli's huge nastiness "To the Volga" again. I have not attempted that in 15 years. Even on my significantly better rig it still struggles. He was a mad man to make that.