Into the Valley of Death Rode the ... Stryker Brigade...?

SPOILER ALERT!!! This is a thread where I moan about a particularly irritating situation in one of the scenarios in the "Charge of the Stryker Brigade". If you haven't played it you might want to stay away.

OK, so I come to the scenario "Rockets red glare"; arriving with some scouts and not much else, enemy (red force) units in company strength move up and occupy positions very near the map edge closest to where my scouts arrived. Then my first reinforcements arrive/materialise right in front of the enemy positions and are of course instantly annihilated.

So, ten minutes in and I'm down an entire Stryker platoon... somehow I doubt this was the scenario designer's intent... I could be wrong...

Anybody else noticed this?

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet but I’m likely to take a look now. I agree it sucks when you start in a cross fire unless that is the intent of the scenario and you are prewarned. There are a couple really good scenarios with the premise. Charge of the Stryker brigade sounds like that might be an intent, but maybe not the best way to do it. It could also be there are multiple AI plans that are crossing in an inopportune way with the reinforcement schedule. Just a guess 

@sburke  Please could you check the various artillery you receive against what's stated in the briefings too.  I also seem to vaguely recall one briefing didn't seem to match the map and situation very well either (as if the wrong one had been imported), but I've no idea which, it was a long time back.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@sburke  Please could you check the various artillery you receive against what's stated in the briefings too.  I also seem to vaguely recall one briefing didn't seem to match the map and situation very well either (as if the wrong one had been imported), but I've no idea which, it was a long time back.  :rolleyes:

Will do....assuming that after I finish this bottle of wine I remember to do this at all. 🍷 kidding, but I did just get in from Japan this morning so it will likely be a day. ...or so.  

Yeah, the artillery (the organic 120 mm mortars) got left out in a couple of scenarios, even though the briefing stated they would be there.

Finished the campaign and must say it was an absolute hoot, I blush to admit that I had to scum-save my way through at least two battles, but I'll blame that on those missing mortars... 😉

I took a quick look, assuming the old files I have are correct there are 2 versions, one with EW, one w/o.  The US player has 155mm arty support and organic 120 mm mortars off board.  As far as I can tell the AI plan does not have the enemy aggressively responding into player set up zones and those areas are in depressions to conceal.  I do recall playtesting this one and having a blast.  I don't recall any issues at all with my set up areas.

I may have to play this campaign again as I really liked it.

Edited by sburke