Headcount - Please Fix It!

I am late to the party. But I brought up a similar topic back in 2011 with my little "single guy" campaign. And ran into the same things like requiring restarts to actually to get 1 guy. Then in the second battle the troops would lose their primary team weapon. But, if the morale was set to Fanatic and the leadership 2+, actually all attributes maxed out so you could get the guys to move, it was fun in a Sgt Fury Howling Commando way.

Edited by nik mond

i for one most certanly apprisate the work that guys like sgt squarehead, MOS:96B2P,  RokinHarry and a few others are doing...

imo their experimentations with the editor is something that benefits us all...new tricks and tips are found during their work with regards to how to get the most out of the editor...

Thank you, guys !

Even if thing like taxicabs, police stations, anti-drug warfare may not be everbodies cup of tea...

idea that spring from these projects may very well become useful in 'ordinary' scenarios also...😁

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the headcount functionality was coded for a formation wide scale and has some play in it. In this case though it seems rather bizarre that 50% can actually net you 100%. I wonder if that is true for large squads? Would 50% of 10 men ever get you 60%? Its even weirder given that the options for different reductions are available and ostensibly seem rather granular, and you would think that granular choices would be expected --- but then they just aren't.

I ran into this issues a few years back when doing Squad Battles series in Red Thunder. I took CMX2's 1:1 idea to its logical endpoint and created several scenarios where each man was his own unit. Using the current command structure system but scaled for Company as the largest unit.  I had a few testers but this coincided with me becoming too busy to do much scenario making and having to drop the concept. In total I made 2 or 3 scenarios. The teams issue was a bit of a pain for me, but I switched to primarily using truck drivers and such since they guaranteed single man units unfortunately they lacked grenades. Since I was also doing reinforced platoon to company scale I could also stomach far more two man teams where it made sense (lmg, anti-tank, etc...). It played surprisingly well. 

Its too bad we don't have single man units within the editor OOB for each faction. That would open up a lot of interesting scenarios without all the fiddling around. 

while I generally like bits of all the randomness in the game, the 50% headcount issue is one to me as well for a particular case. I tend to use snipers (teams) in my missions more oftenly, particularly in AIP hands. Yet I want a single guy and get rid of the spotter in that team for stealth and better, more flexible in tile positioning. Otherwise the spotter might take just that most preferable window position (building example) that allows the actual sniper to have perfect LOS/LOF to that most desired keyholed enemy map area. Also a two men team gets more easily and quicker spotted by any enemy no matter the range. So more oftenly than not the random reappearance of the spotter in a set 50% crew strength team somewhat defeats my various AIP optimization purposes. :mellow:

6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

while I generally like bits of all the randomness in the game, the 50% headcount issue is one to me as well for a particular case. I tend to use snipers (teams) in my missions more oftenly, particularly in AIP hands. Yet I want a single guy and get rid of the spotter in that team for stealth and better, more flexible in tile positioning. Otherwise the spotter might take just that most preferable window position (building example) that allows the actual sniper to have perfect LOS/LOF to that most desired keyholed enemy map area. Also a two men team gets more easily and quicker spotted by any enemy no matter the range. So more oftenly than not the random reappearance of the spotter in a set 50% crew strength team somewhat defeats my various AIP optimization purposes. :mellow:

Interesting...You would think by Game Default a 1 or 2 Man Team would be difficult (regardless), Fire Teams a little easier, and Squads much more easier to spot.

13 minutes ago, JoMc67 said:

Interesting...You would think by Game Default a 1 or 2 Man Team would be difficult (regardless), Fire Teams a little easier, and Squads much more easier to spot.

That´s from my experience, yes. But as said I like to preserve the single sniper guy complete freedom on his micro position selection as main reason. The binocs spotter guys is only usefull at longer ranges preferably well beyond 300m. For MOUT type battles I´d prefer a lone sniper in any case. For long range (upto max of the sniper rifle max range) good cover and long LOF the spotter though has utility.

13 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

The teams issue was a bit of a pain for me, but I switched to primarily using truck drivers and such since they guaranteed single man units unfortunately they lacked grenades. 

Don't know if you have CMSF2 or any interest in the modern titles.  CMSF2 has Fighter and Combatant triggermen that are single man teams and have grenades.  These single man teams can be purchased as such and added to a command structure.  The unconventional fighter and combatant groups have the option of a one man HQ (1, 2 or 3 man HQ is the option at the bottom of the editor screen).  So if you wanted you could have all one man teams in the TOE to include the HQ organized under a fighter or combatant group for C2 / TOE purposes.  Then you could still use vehicle drivers that also have grenades (often only one grenade per driver). 

Next with mods and weapon swaps you can give your single man units a customized look.  Below are some screenshots from the WIP scenario Shift Commander which features many single man units.

The first two screenshots are before and after mods.

FCzaNlvh.jpg

Y9TU5yEh.jpg

And a modified taxi fighter driver.

vmlntdsh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

That is an interesting solution to my issue. At this point I've largely stopped playing CM and drifted over to other games. As a result I haven't done any scenario work in literal years. I might comeback to it if BFC releases a particular interesting module - but at this point I've been enjoying games with offer a bit more breadth even if the granularity isn't quite there.

I do have CM:SF but need to create a ticket to get it redeemed. I have an odd issue where it doesn't list the base game in my library but I do have two modules listed. I had CM:SF Paradox -> bought the paradox upgrade patch -> purchased the Marines and Brit expansions. However, I only have the Brit and Marine expansions listed in my library. Anyway...