Setting vehicles with no crew

Hi everyone so quick question here, I’ve been editing scenarios for a bit now and have been thoroughly enjoying it but I’d like to get into making my own. The problem I’m running into however is placing vehicles with no crew, IE giving a unconventional pickup to an American infantry squad. How do I make it show up in game without a combatant behind the wheel. 

Thank you for any help y’all can give me.

Ps. I see in the editor under vehicle status there is an option that says dismount but it’s always greyed out 

No you can't delete the crew directly. I have often wondered why they didn't include it in this game. But you can remove the driver and place him somewhere else. So in your example, unless you're okay with some friendly uncons on the map, I don't see how you could do it. But maybe you could say he is from a friendly militia or something...

I believe the only vehicle that has a strictly removable crew are the humvees in the Supply Platoon.

Edited by puje

1 hour ago, zigzag109 said:

IE giving a unconventional pickup to an American infantry squad. How do I make it show up in game without a combatant behind the wheel.

That, I'm afraid, cannot be done.....The closest you can get is to dismount the pickup driver in game and then mount the US squad (who will be able to drive it as normal AFAIK).

Note.....This does not apply to armed Technicals (AFAIK).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, zigzag109 said:

The problem I’m running into however is placing vehicles with no crew, IE giving a unconventional pickup to an American infantry squad. How do I make it show up in game without a combatant behind the wheel.   Ps. I see in the editor under vehicle status there is an option that says dismount but it’s always greyed out 

14 minutes ago, puje said:

So in your example, unless you're okay with some friendly uncons on the map, I don't see how you could do it. 

If the crew and vehicle are show as separate in the editor you can delete the crew there.  It also works with some supply platoons as @puje said.  CM titles other than CMA and CMSF2 have the supply dump feature. 

To use the taxis and pickup trucks for other units I place them on the map and remove the driver. 

Then place the removed driver on an exit zone. 

Place the new driver in the vehicle during the game.

One thing that I run across is when I just want to use pickup trucks but I also get stuck with the formation HQ (when using the transport formation) which is a taxi.  I place the entire taxi on an exit zone to get rid of it.  Or in the taxi HQ case you can schedule the taxi HQ to arrive as a reinforcement after the end of the mission (so it never shows up).  This reinforcement trick will not work to separate a driver from a taxi or pickup however.   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

12 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

To use the taxis and pickup trucks for other units I place them on the map and remove the driver. 

Place the new driver in the vehicle during the game.

And this definitely doesn't cause the truck to jump to Destroyed status?  :unsure:

If this is so, you may have solved something that's been bugging me for ages.....Need to start CM:RT, but I'm driving police cars again.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

And this definitely doesn't cause the truck to jump to Destroyed status?  :unsure:

11 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well I’ll definitely have to give that a try and hope it doesn’t destroy the vehicle hahaha 

on a side note you three have put out some awesome content, @puje your valley campaign is great! @MOS:96B2P coup is extremely cool what you’ve done to make that mission, and @Sgt.Squarehead I just downloaded your large rural map and I love it!!! So thanks guys I know it doesn’t need to be said but great work.

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

2 minutes ago, zigzag109 said:

Well I’ll definitely have to give that a try and hope it doesn’t destroy the vehicle hahaha 

So thanks guys I know it doesn’t need to be said but great work.

Ooops.  Did I get that part wrong?  Maybe the driver must stay on the map now that I think about it.  Just did that with the riots and forgot already.... 

Thanks @zigzag109  +1

Just now, MOS:96B2P said:

Ooops.  Did I get that part wrong?  Maybe the driver must stay on the map now that I think about it.  Just did that with the riots and forgot already.... 

I haven't checked yet fella.....If you recall our conversation in 'the other place', I was a bit freaked out when I noticed those three pickups jump from (I think) Dismounted (with icons), to Destroyed (no icons) at the exact moment one of my squad cars drove past.  :unsure:

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I haven't checked yet fella.....If you recall our conversation in 'the other place', I was a bit freaked out when I noticed those three pickups jump from (I think) Dismounted (with icons), to Destroyed (no icons) at the exact moment one of my squad cars drove past.  :unsure:

Yes.................. I do recall that now.  I'm thinking the driver for the pickups must be kept on the map after all. :(            

Just did some quick testing. I have only the base game, so not sure if things are maybe different in other versions.

Conclusions:

• It seems as only taxis and cargo pickups can carry US troops.
  • US troops can mount an empty taxi
  • US troops CANNOT mount and drive an empty pickup.
  • If US troops are set to spawn in a pickup, the original driver will be driving.
  • Pickup driver leaving area indeed seems to knock out pickup

So basically everything I said before wasn't really true :D

Edited by puje

TBH, my usual cop-out is to attach a rag-tag mix of other Combatants to my Blue TOE and call them 'Local Guides', 'Interpreters' etc. etc. (as you probably knew).  :ph34r:

@zigzag109  Truth to be told, the game's a bit inconsistent on the re-crewing front.....It's much easier to put ISIS in a HMMWV than it is to put an ODA Team in a pickup.  Experimentation is always the best bet, and don't restrict yourself to just the smaller formations, sometimes disassembling and de-crewing an entire battalion can be the simplest option!  :blink:

6 minutes ago, puje said:

US troops CANNOT mount and drive an empty pickup.

Really?  :unsure:

That's annoying.  :( 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

wished all vehicles (incl. armor) can be "dismounted" in order them leaving an appropiate ammo dump, like ammo/supply trucks do.

Not at the expense of being able to crew swap.....No way.

I'd like to see crew swapping opened up a bit (made easier & more widely doable) and I'd like to see the Dismounted option meaning what it says across all the games (so we can crew swap, in all the games) and a new state 'Ammo Dump' added (which would behave as Dismounted currently does in all the titles except CM:SF2).

You can always get supplies from a vehicle and a crafty designer can easily place those vehicles such that they will not be otherwise useable in a scenario, or such that they must (or automatically will) exit.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not at the expense of being able to crew swap.....No way.

I'd like to see crew swapping opened up a bit (made easier & more widely doable) and I'd like to see the Dismounted option meaning what it says across all the games (so we can crew swap, in all the games) and a new state 'Ammo Dump' added (which would behave as Dismounted currently does in all the titles except CM:SF2).

You can always get supplies from a vehicle and a crafty designer can easily place those vehicles such that they will not be otherwise useable in a scenario, or such that they must (or automatically will) exit.

didn´t mean "at the expense" actually. Rather as additional option maybe. I´d used dismounted truck/ammo dump combos in a scenario of mine already. Also as reinforcements. These work only in higher difficulty mode, as otherwise they´re simply removed and their ammo distributed equally among troops.

CMBN You Enter Germany

There's only few vehicles in the titles that the AI allows to be driven by a different unit Humvee, Taxi, some NATO vehicles I think.  A rule of thumb is if you have to 'bail' the driver instead of 'dismount' then you probably won't be able to swap out drivers.

swapped.thumb.jpg.7c77e88d708d6c68537b9af2828ef5bc.jpg

The rules vary slightly between what you can do in the editor and what you can do in game. 

As I said before, experimentation is the best option.....Vehicles that are a pain to work with in the Single Vehicles list might be found in a more useable form within a Battalion or other formation (IIRC the Canadian Nyala, my default choice for an MRAP, is a case in point).

EDIT - I just checked.....I can't do my old Nyala trick in CM:SF2, they seem to have a single driver attached who you can't get rid of (this isn't the case in CM:SF1). 

However my Iraqi CTS core (made with CM:SF1), which is completely built around this trick, is fully functional in CM:SF2! 

Somehow the drivers that CM:SF2 normally attaches to Nyalas just aren't there!  :o

Don't uninstall CM:SF1 yet folks!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Interesting discovery re: crew-swapping in other titles (so not ideally placed here TBH).....In CM:BS I manually dismounted a US Supply platoon in preview mode and found that at scenario start, they remained dismounted (The same goes for an Abrams tank FWIW).  

I then tried putting some Russians into their dismounted Humvees in the editor.....Upon starting the scenario the crew jumped back to their vehicles, over-writing a similar number of Russians!  :o

Very odd.  :wacko:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead