R&R Mod Corner

vzVfdas.jpg

Update 1: Now that the patch is out for the combat mission games I'm interested in trying to finish my mod Rally the Regiments again. What I had imagined was to have realistic colors, some advanced squad leader scenarios booted over, a re-shade preset, and small 1200x1800m maps for competitive play. My first goal is to get the realistic colors nailed down and the ASL/critical hit scenarios for Omaha Beach made. I've ordered the board games Omaha west and East so I can begin work once it arrives. The above image you can see the comparison of real world colors compared to stock colors. In my next post I will outline how others can create their own unique field designs using google map street view images to overlay in-game colors and how to make seamless textures.

I like the subdued colors of the upper pic.  But, in the summer sun, it could be quite likely that RL colors are similar to the lower pic. Looks like a typical shot from a "Move To The Country" ("how lovely it would be") reality TV show (that seems to make up about 50% of all UK TV these days).  😎

CJNca62.jpgRePwmiO.jpg

Update 2: Just noticed that I posted in the main CMBN forum instead of modding, oh well maybe someone will move it. The above images are examples of modded clear daylight colors and modded overcast colors. Still a lot more to do and adjust but I should clarify that by real life I mean images based off of google street view. When I have time I can make a read me tutorial. What I've found that has been working well is using a cropped image from google (either from direct sunlight or overcast days) to apply as a layer with a hard light overlay on top of the de-saturated graphic that is being re-colored. After adjusting the lightness of the de-saturated graphic you can get a close match to the same color saturation and tones as in the real life cropped photo. What's kind of cool is that there's street drive views for the Ukraine, Israel, Italy, and Sicily. Unfortunately no winter though.

• 1 month later...

Update 3: Well not very sure about the realistic colors anymore...loaded up some old textures from a while ago and it looks better. Might play with it some more later. I did manage to make an easy reshade that's pretty basic and working on the Omaha West mission. To produce it faster I'm mostly doing a direct conversion of the board game map and set-up. Not completely historical or topographical but the main ideas are there and I should have a beta mission in about a week.

• 2 weeks later...

hzvM7NN.pngAmEJ116.jpgN3fmrhP.png

Update 4: slowly working on the omaha west map. So far just need to add the US side and reinforcement times for a beta kind of version. I might have to make an acquisition of some flavor assets like the wooden pulls and some landing craft if I could ever figure out blender. Above you can also see some terrain modding for shock force 2.

• 2 weeks later...

8CDR0ot.png30FeahX.png

Update 6: The General forum might be a better place for this thread or the scenario and mod tips? Anyway thanks Sgt Squarehead for the link and with the help of Aquila I was able to get a beach log obstacle going. Still can't get the textures it came with to work so more testing is needed...one things for sure is that it's a pain in the butt. I'm hoping to get a landing craft in and redo some tellermine poles that I've made before. The other above image is testing the 1st 20 min of the scenario I'm working on. Getting closer and so far pretty fun.