Bil Hardenberger

Hard Cat Rules v2 - Simple to Use Command & Control Rules

13 hours ago, scrappie said:

Area Fire

I'm not sure I agree with how AF-2 is restricted.  Suppose a squad was split into 3 teams on a scouting patrol and 2 of the teams encountered a tentative contact in the same AS.  This rule would prevent the squad leader ordering these 2 teams to use area fire to suppress the tentative contact while the 3rd team to flanked the position (because more than one team has a sound contact in the same AS).  Instead I'd suggest folding AF-2 and AF-3 into one category of AF - Area Fire Controlled by Autonomous Unit Leader.  A squad on scouting patrol would then be an Autonomous Unit and could act independently of the PL.  Later in the battle, however, when the squad has rejoined the platoon, the PL would be the Autonomous Unit Leader, not the squad leader.

Well we can't cover every contingency.. but I see your point.  I am considering giving autonomous units/platoons etc. on a recon mission an exemption to the Area Fire rules as well.  They are a special case to be sure.

Bil

Okay, I have updated the Rules.. see the Initial Post to see the edits, or open the PDF, as this has also been updated.  This edit (version 2f) contains all of the edits made to the Attached Units and the Higher Echelon HQ and HQ Casualty rules... a few other minor clean up edits were made as well.

Bil

If there are no more comments or suggestions for these rules I will tentatively call them final for now and move on to play testing.  I have two games using these rules lined up , one with @IanL which won't start for a bit yet.

I wouldn't mind if a few of you wanted to give them a try and post back here with your results...  so pair up and give 'em a shot.

Once again, I have updated the rules with the new information on Higher HQs discussed today... I have updated the PDF and the images in the initial post

Other Edits: I adjusted the Area Fire Exception:

•  EXCEPTION:  independent squads (even split)/teams/vehicles performing a scouting mission are exempt from rules 3.b through 3.d
  • Formations (i.e. Recon Platoon/Company) performing a scouting mission AS A formation must still abide by these rules

On 5/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Not simple?  Hmmm  I remember the old days of memorizing 100 pages of war game rules, so to me these are pretty easy.

How times have changed. :)