Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

On 10/15/2019 at 1:29 AM, 37mm said:

My latest conversion (for the Urban campaign) will be, by far, the largest...

3Rk7ScJ.png

... there's a  long way to go yet but, when it's done, it'll hopefully feature Rice paddies, urban slums, factories, Pattons, APC's, Skyraiders, PBR's, a gunboat... &, perhaps, even a kind of River Monitor.

That looks suspiciously like my Al Amarah map … only just spotted the conversion.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, Boche said:

Topography of the Lang Vei SF camp area finished. Map size is 3840x4720. Now to get started on decorating it :P 

langvei2.png

langvei1.png

langvei3.png
upload pic

How are you tracking with this?  The reason I ask is because I'm working on a map which I've had to crop from 4km x 2.7km to 4km x 1.5km (and it may get smaller) because the number of trees is causing massive load times and CTD when going into 3D view.  If you want this to work I'd lose the southern half of the map completely.

Just thought I'd point it out to save you a bunch of work.

20 hours ago, Combatintman said:

That looks suspiciously like my Al Amarah map … only just spotted the conversion.

Yeah, another one of yours.

In my defence, have you actually ever made a scenario which didn't prominently feature rivers or canals?

32 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Yeah, another one of yours.

In my defence, have you actually ever made a scenario which didn't prominently feature rivers or canals?

Obviously mate … I'm not a one-trick pony you know 😉

The three or four that spring to mind are both of my scenarios for CMFB:

• To Verdenne and Victory.
  • Probing Around Poteau.

My CMBN scenario:

• Assault on Port Cros.

CMSF:

• Op BARRAS (yes it has a river but it doesn't really have a bearing on the scenario).
  • Op NEPTUNE SPEAR (yes there is a river/canal) but only one.

If I can pull Kham Duc off for H&E, that will lack anything wetter than a stream.

Otherwise - I can't help the fact that people tend to live near sources of water and armies have to fight over them … 😀

Either way, your tendency to locate your scenarios near & around water has proven most useful for us*.

My December work schedule is looking jam-packed so I'm not so confident of this "before Christmas" deadline... that does mean more time for Kham Duc, I suppose.

*I was just playing around with some boats this morning.

Edited by 37mm

16 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1 nice!  Made me think of the battle of Hue.  

That's the general idea, both of the urban campaign & the [ikke] tag in general.

I spent last night mostly fixing missing vehicle textures & silhouettes however I did find time to revamp that map slightly (a conversion of 'Rock around the Block')...

33O2bTF.png

YJjHgpz.jpg

6sxWB93.jpg

Edited by 37mm

On 11/26/2019 at 2:39 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If anyone out there feels like they have a score to settle with a certain 'Mg Pyay Ag'.....Firstly your previous help has been much appreciated, and secondly, your opportunity to catch up with him, is close at hand:

F9kwk3q.jpg

Excellent shot, summarises perfectly the kind of tactical challenges posed by the terrain and vegetation. The fighting could be as compartmentalised as in Normandy, with the kind of broken, complex terrain of Italy. 

Great work @37mm and everyone else involved. I wish this effort convinces BFC to boldly go to Indochina. Just leave the US Allies out for the sake of the poor soul having to work out the TOES.

31 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Great work @37mm and everyone else involved. I wish this effort convinces BFC to boldly go to Indochina. Just leave the US Allies out for the sake of the poor soul having to work out the TOES.

Maybe not do all of them - the 1 Australian Task Force TO&E would be a cinch to write.  The only real changes to the Infantry Battalion were the introduction of the Kiwi Company to form ANZAC Infantry Battalions and the withdrawal of the Owen SMG and introduction of the M-16.  The dates for the introduction of the Cavalry Squadron and the Armoured Squadron plus their composition are well documented too.  Speaking from experience, having done the Brit TO&E for CMSF, I could write it to BFC standard's in about a month I reckon.

You would have to do the ARVN I think and that would be a headache and the US wouldn't be a cakewalk either even though both are well-documented.

My imagination doesn't trump your experience :) if you think it is doable the happier I am tbh.

My reckoning was that PLF, NVA on the one hand, and US, ARVN on the other, were already a quite serious project (was ever the official US Army TO&E followed in Vietnam? I do recall reading somewhere - Hastings? - that Abrams kind of slammed the fist on the table and forced everyone to turn up in Vietnam with his take on TO&E).

ANZAC and ROK sounded to me a bit of an "above the call of duty" pain with their own particular equipment and organisation.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

On 11/27/2019 at 11:54 AM, Combatintman said:

Here comes the cavalry … ARVN 4/2 Cav en route to Ap Bac

2106069219_HereComestheCavalry.thumb.jpg.7c8aeec95802a980ff6b84c29ac6bede.jpg

Nice pics... it's interesting that you've gone for dry conditions & the vehicle [dust] tag.

I keep umming & ahhing at whether or not to make the vehicle dust default for the Bong-Hai Civil War era (it's already default for the Modern/Aftermath era).

Originally, I envisioned most scenario makers would opt for damp (or even wet) conditions but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll probably get rid of the [dust] tag for 0.95 & just create a new tag ([darkdust]?) for the black combat dust.

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

Nice pics... it's interesting that you've gone for dry conditions & the vehicle [dust] tag.

I keep umming & ahhing at whether or not to make the vehicle dust default for the Bong-Hai Civil War era (it's already default for the Modern/Aftermath era).

Originally, I envisioned most scenario makers would opt for damp (or even wet) conditions but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll probably get rid of the [dust] tag for 0.95 & just create a new tag ([darkdust]?) for the black combat dust.

Ground conditions are dry for sure - ideally they wouldn't be but it was a design compromise I needed to make to ensure that the M-113s get to where they need to be without over half of the squadron bogging.  I haven't added a [dust] tag to the scenario though.