Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

I am working on some UI for H&E Mod and need some flags for some screens. Here are some designs that I am tossing around... any votes for what sides they represent?

The two sides are...

• The People's Army of The Free Democratic Republic of Bong-Hai & its People's Militia insurgents (aka "The Roundheads")... they are the Earth component of this narrative & are as similiar to the NVA & VC as we can get them.
  • The Imperial Army of the Divine Kingdom of Bong-Hai & its iconic, M16 wielding Imperial Cavalry (aka "The Cavaliers") .. they are the Heaven component of this narrative & represent both the poorer & better performing elements of the ARVN.

ALLFLAGS.png.515e3ce73f68f41b06e55ad3b5bcf424.png

I agree with @puje.

A is good... but the colours seems a little too red for the Divine Kingdom (yellow & black would fit in with the 'pseudo South Vietnam' thing... white & blue might be more "heavenly" looking).

J would be the obvious choice for the People's Army, however I do like the look of I (it brings to mind the image of the People's Army claiming that they have the true "mandate of heaven").

Insurgents/armed locals/People's militia & bandits could be fighting in a range of situations for various sides... so their symbols have to be kind of generic (something like K).

On 9/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, borg said:

What’s that yellow dome

at the back ? :ph34r:

That would depend on who you asked.....For me, it's 'The Golden Pagoda' and TBH, it was simply an experiment at making a feature for the map using some of the new terrain (various flowers) and building types (CM:BS golden domes).

The Delta is the first master map for CM:HE and it will be available in the package for the player to mess with (it has no flavour objects in this format).  More detailed sub-maps taken from it will also feature in several of the scenarios, including at least three from me.

@puje is also using the delta for the base map in his campaign, so in that instance it will be whatever he wants it to be, or maybe even not there at all.

My current project is something a bit further inland.....'The Hill' (pixeltrooper perspective):

BjaGTt8.jpg

I'm still summoning the will to start the joyous task of adding the foliage.  :rolleyes:

On 10/4/2019 at 9:41 PM, xacto said:

ALLFLAGS.png.515e3ce73f68f41b06e55ad3b5bcf424.png

Those are awesome!

I'll let you guys decide on which ones to use for the main factions, but I do have some extra factions who need a couple too.....My choices would be:

H - Post Civil War Bong Hai National Flag

B - Wai-Bong National Flag (the native hill people, largely displaced in the lowlands by invaders from adjacent nations)

G - Maoist Insurgents

I could also use a variant of the 'Black Banner' for the Islamists:

220px-Flag_of_Jihad.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Standard

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

48 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Great work! B) Though sad thing that BFC leaves creativity to their talented customers instead of tackling that by themselves. But maybe they now feel inspired, who knows.

I think that's a stretch. Besides pretty much every modable game has fan mods.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

I agree @Sequoia... besides I think it was @LongLeftFlank who once said that if we want to see CM in Asia we just have to try & make it ourselves (for numerous reasons).

I do hope that @RockinHarry is correct & that BFC might be inspired to, at least, re-consider what CMx2 (never mind CMx3) could simulate.

Edited by 37mm

11 hours ago, 37mm said:

I agree @Sequoia... besides I think it was @LongLeftFlank who once said that if we want to see CM in Asia we just have to try & make it ourselves (for numerous reasons).

I do hope that @RockinHarry is correct & that BFC might be inspired to, at least, re-consider what CMx2 (never mind CMx3) could simulate.

The difference is BF would not just have to create things that seem to be something but aren't.  They'd actually have to do far more work than just modding images.  Let em get out the stuff we are already waiting for and can mod that rather than adding more onto their pile that they will never get to.  CMRT's module is gonna rock and I am not even that huge a fan of eastern front... well in comparison to others anyway.

Personally I like the H flag for the South and the G, I flags for the North. Since they share a similar style it matches the Civil War aspect with both forces flags coming from a shared heritage.

Since the buildings are converted from CM:SF do they retain the stability of modern concrete and those mud brick structures? I haven't actually done any testing, but I figure the material each building is "made from" has some effect on its protective abilities?

RE: CM modding - a lot could be done if a single game could read data from multiple families. From what I can tell a BMP-1 is data in a table of some variety and the game then grabs the visuals from the respective BRZ. There is likely another table with ORBATS that is linked to the respective kit. If that data file wasn't locked down it would probably be trivial combine.

It is in some ways ironic that BFC's design of CM makes it perfect for user created content yet we are limited in what we can do. The well done Command and Control modelling makes whipping up new formations that act correctly a breeze and since CM is design for cause (as far as I can tell) there wouldn't be any inherent problems to mix and matching forces. E.G. having a Panzer II and a Leopard 2 on the map wouldn't break anything. 

6 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

Since the buildings are converted from CM:SF do they retain the stability of modern concrete and those mud brick structures? I haven't actually done any testing, but I figure the material each building is "made from" has some effect on its protective abilities?

Yes, all CM modular buildings (not just Shock Forces) are pretty tough & the building textures are irrelevant in determining their strength... although this is no major problem in the towns, cities & larger populated areas.

However, in the 'boonies', it can be a bit of an unrealistic issue... one that is unfortunately exacerbated by the lack of (weaker) independent buildings.

d3qlSb5.png

However, we have at least provided a [boonies] tag... which includes a change to the building impact sounds to better match the wooden textures.

Additionally, I suspect clever map/scenario designers could come up with some workarounds. Here's two that I recently thought of...

This 'broken wall' hamlet will provide much less cover, be far more vulnerable to HE... yet still provide troops excellent concealment.

ANYFUeD.png

This Flavour Object* based hamlet will provide the right amount of cover... yet providing adequate concealment will be an issue.

SEtA3ba.png

*(I only have the 'workshop' at the moment... there will be more Flavour Object small buildings come release)

Edited by 37mm

On 10/6/2019 at 7:27 PM, Sequoia said:

bits of provocative admittedly. But it´s not all about modding, rather openess to modding of which other companies have more in the offer (editors, external databases, script languages etc etc). Beside the usual retuxturing of stuff, in CMX2 you´d rather need a crowbar to change/improve certain things which to most ppl here seem more important than just mere eye candy. BFC wastes a lot of potential by keeping their stuff at almost ludicrous secrecy levels IMHO. But it´s their game and the ppl remaining here might be happy with that. But more and more will rather not I´d predict. But so be it. ;)

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

BFC wastes a lot of potential by keeping their stuff at almost ludicrous secrecy levels IMHO. But it´s their game and the ppl remaining here might be happy with that. But more and more will rather not I´d predict. But so be it. ;)

Yep. Don't get me wrong I think the cool stuff going on here is just that cool. What I don't want is things being opened up so that people can change the behaviour of things to their arbitrary liking and having that effect the game play for other people. So, I'm good.:D

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Yep. Don't get me wrong I think the cool stuff going on here is just that cool. What I don't want is things being opened up so that people can change the behaviour of things to their arbitrary liking and having that effect the game play for other people. So, I'm good.:D

well, it´s off topic in this great thread anyway so i don´t expand on that. Just some key words: Mod dependency & ARMA (the tac sim/FPS). ;)

No problem, I've had a fairly productive day or two.

Heaven & Earth will now feature Blue forces (although I'm having a hell of a time finding all the new silhouettes which need upgrading) & I've stretched @IICptMillerII & @mjkerner's work to provide a bunch of (mostly placeholder) uniforms for all the forces. The Euroscape mod provides most of the vehicles.

aUmOLSw.png

KrjJuC7.png

RGOdBPy.png

I've also finished three scenario conversions which will be used in an Urban battle campaign...

g2PUZah.png

PydRsrk.png

https://imgur.com/hILhy7m

DDHMfHz.jpg

1Ing3EY.jpg

Edited by 37mm

My latest conversion (for the Urban campaign) will be, by far, the largest...

3Rk7ScJ.png

... there's a  long way to go yet but, when it's done, it'll hopefully feature Rice paddies, urban slums, factories, Pattons, APC's, Skyraiders, PBR's, a gunboat... &, perhaps, even a kind of River Monitor.

I also think I've selected the penultimate battle, to be converted, for the campaign...

XPDyx3d.png

VbZjISP.jpg

... should be a blast.