Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I like the first, camo, version.....It's suitably ambiguous, whereas the second seems to imply the availability of US units.....To me at least.

I'd be interested to know where you found the silhouette, it's a direct copy of an old ESCI 1/72 figure (or vice versa):

ESC228b.jpg

Check these out if you are interested!  https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Esci-1-72-North-Vietnamese-Vietcong-Vietnam-War-figures-set-229-boxed-on-sprues-/323862974944

On 9/11/2019 at 2:38 AM, RockinHarry said:

no idea if it´s considered for H&E yet, but there´s a way to create more calm (or standing) waters when the map is not to contain marine waters. Fuser bits of explains it here: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/100852-aris-terrain-version-20-wip/?do=findComment&comment=1327597

That is interesting I will play around with that.

I also love your flavour object button trick to increase our options from 9 to 16 (I just used 9 for a beached Sampan & I still want more boats).

On 9/13/2019 at 10:37 AM, 37mm said:

That is interesting I will play around with that.

I also love your flavour object button trick to increase our options from 9 to 16 (I just used 9 for a beached Sampan & I still want more boats).

figured hardcoded limit for single flavor type amount remains at 16 (self adapting 4x4 matrix) just like the 4x4 general flavor type tabs of which we have 2.  Not too bad actually if considering you can tag and reorder the ones needed for just a single map. Theoretically we now have (16+16) x 16 = 512 flavors to our avail. Let´s see who first time crashes the game with that amount. :D

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

Trying out some new flavour objects* & a new [burnt] tag...

2XIvwhx.jpg

*I wonder where @kohlenklau got the tree stumps originally?

weren´t these taken and edited from CMRT? Edit: Think these were the base: http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=1067

Btw you can make these look more natural by click-rotating. They revolve counterclockwise by 15° each click. Full turn = 24 clicks (=360°).

Edited by RockinHarry

On 9/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, xacto said:

Now that I finished the logo, I started working on the design for the Heaven and Earth User Manual [ work in progress ]. Thoughts on which direction I should continue to develop?
Once the cover is set, the inside will reflect the tone and mood of the cover.

Cheers,
Xacto

Mockup_UserManual_A1.jpg.1d00613a0d31bb9068d7e4e65503d92a.jpg

I like the 2nd as it's more "Apocalypse Now" looking and says "Vietnam" more immediately than the greyed out first image which doesn't immediately scream any theatre.

Edited by Erwin

@37mm & I disagree.....The 'Heaven & Earth' mod is really not Vietnam.  It can be kind of close (accurate maps, reasonably accurate (looking & feeling) TOE (that's actually utterly wrong behind the scenes), but with problematic voice files).

However it could be equally close to the drug war in the Golden Triangle (which is where my own scenarios will be focused) or (with a little more work on those tricksy voice files) even a putative Second Korean War (hoping @dragonwynn might come back to us on this one).....Thus a more generalised appearance suits it better.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

One thing/query with these wonderful logo's that @xacto has made... there is a small "tm" on them.

I know absolutely nothing about these legal things... but isn't that something we'll have to remove from the logos?

As far as I can tell the only thing trademarked with this mod would be CMSF2 itself... so does the current logo imply that we own CMSF2?

Well I suggest we cut out the "tm" until we know more.

In other news... I've finally got the PBR model working (although it's currently too low in the water & a funny colour) so hopefully I can box off that, surprisingly difficult, task soon.

BTW does anyone know about a @Juju "burnt building" mod?

I find references to it every now & again but don't seem to be able to find it or even confirm it actually exists.

Edited by 37mm

That would make a decent hill-village for the Wai-Bong.  ;)

6 hours ago, 37mm said:

(although it's currently too low in the water & a funny colour)

I noticed the flavour object boats sit differently depending on where they are on a tile & what it is.....Too far into the shallows and they levitate!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I noticed the flavour object boats sit differently depending on where they are on a tile & what it is.....Too far into the shallows and they levitate!  :o

Yeah, I created a beached version of the Sampan FO to prevent that (I used them in the Delta vid).

Edited by 37mm

On 9/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, 37mm said:

One thing/query with these wonderful logo's that @xacto has made... there is a small "tm" on them.

I know absolutely nothing about these legal things... but isn't that something we'll have to remove from the logos?

As far as I can tell the only thing trademarked with this mod would be CMSF2 itself... so does the current logo imply that we own CMSF2?

I have a lot of experience with corporate identities (do this for a living)... The current mark is protected by "Common Law Trademark Rights" so the TM can be used as is. The TM signifies that we claim the name/logo as common law and notifies others of the trademark right.

There is no need to "Register" the trademark (R) unless you want to increase the amount of geographic reach and strengthen your ability to protect the "brand" (unless you want to expand this brand and make a profit in the future ;).

Edited by xacto

Gotcha!  ;)

I'm just finishing up the third map for my mini-campaign.....Not sure how many episodes it will have, it's set in the late eighties, early nineties and it's kind of convoluted.

Hopefully it should take the player on an interesting journey through the many political machinations of the 'War On Drugs' & simultaneous 'Rise Of Islam' in Bong-Hai.  :ph34r:

PS - & Yes, it will probably feature things blowing up unexpectedly.....It's one of mine, after all!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead