Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

4 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

I wanted to make that the comment to be honest but then I thought that people would get the impression that napalm was part of the mod.  I'm now at 58 minutes left on the clock btw on the test.

I'm at 0817hrs.  43 minutes left.  The fearless men of the Red Berets press on............. :)

Thanks guys, that was just me playing around with the old Clear & Present Danger scenario originally made for CMSF.

I expect I'll be making conversions for months, if not years.

This one, for instance, is an underway CMA conversion...

NCXHMc8.png

a1I4ckQ.png

ksiL2BK.png

Slated to be the first map of a VC People's Militia campaign.

Speaking of campaigns, we've begun testing of @puje's campaign...

u2ONDLw.png

... tense, very tense.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That first image, with the view across the valley, really made me smile.....I reckon that jungle looks pretty convincing, just hope it plays well too.  B)

I was pleased with the reshade settings too.

As you well know, spotting in CM is a bit of an... errr... "mystery".

So far, whilst playtesting on your maps (including 'the delta'), I can confirm that most engagements seem to occur at short range... indeed I'd say that, at least, a plurality of contacts involve grenades being thrown so, clearly, this is the kind of thing that we're hoping to see from Heaven & Earth. Your philosophy of having the underlying terrain be tactically interesting, in of itself, even before you add the foilage appears to be paying off.

However, sometimes, your men spot enemies deep in the middle of forests over a kilometre away... and you're like "wtf?".

@puje seems to be aware of this... these distant contacts are often fleeting & of little real use.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this - appreciate the hardwork all the creators have put into making this mod a reality.

It may have been asked already (so apologies) but will the assets be available in the editor? I'd love to make a campaign based around Firebase Ripcord or some night attacks on platoon / company NDP.

Edited by Seshins

On 12/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, Seshins said:

It may have been asked already (so apologies) but will the assets be available in the editor? I'd love to make a campaign based around Firebase Ripcord or some night attacks on platoon / company NDP.

H&E is a modificiation package for CMSF2 and, as such, all CMSF2 features, including the editor, are still present and working.

Our team has many campaigns & scenarios currently in various states of completion (@puje's camapign, based around his own firebase, being the most complete at the moment).

I've been overwhelmed at work this December so not much has been going on with regards the mod pack itself.... however I believe my hours will start to drop off now that we're approaching January.

In the meantime, here's another teaser...

58 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Some of the Asian faces look v good.  Others a bit strange (pinched?).

Yeah some of them are a little less satisfying. 

My major problem was that I'm not very good at color correction. So I was limited to using picture sources where I was able to achieve a color match. Couldn't find enough pics for all faces, so some are Frankensteined together. They aren't all great I'll admit. There's one made mainly from Jet Li parts that looks kind of like a monkey 😁

rFGkfm3.png

This guy's nose doesn't line up very well. It looks okay from the left, but not from the right. I corrected it a bit, but it's still off. I figure he's just an ugly dude 😏

Here he is from the front (left). 

The first I made was the best, it was Kim Jung Un's glorious mug (right). 

fPohjEm.png

Edited by puje

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Some of the Asian faces look v good.  Others a bit strange (pinched?).

Once the 'public beta' of this entirely free modpack & its content is released, I hope to see an atmosphere of 'constructive criticism'.

If anybody thinks something (a map, a scenario, a texture, a model, a sound) doesn't quite meet their standards then they will be encouraged to help provide a better version for the community.

It might be helpful to think of H&E as a (very) extensive series of 'placeholders'.