Heaven & Earth: Project discussion thread

On 7/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Is there an amphibious, unarmed (or lightly armed) vehicle with passenger space that we could re-skin with that boat (Junk/Dhow)?  :unsure:

The German FUCHS is probably the ligthest armed amphibious vehicle. It just comes with a hatch 7,62MG.

Edited by Aquila-CM

5 minutes ago, Aquila-CM said:

The German FUCHS is probably the ligthest armed amphibious vehicle. It just comes with a hatch 7,62MG.

We're on the same wavelength... I'll be contacting you later on.

Edited by 37mm

A list of amphibious vehicles for reference:

German Fuchs

Marines AAV7, AAV7C, LAV-M, LAV-M-A2, LAV-25, LAV-25-A2, LAV-ATGM, LAV-ATGM-A2

Syrian BMP-1, BMP-1P(4A), BMP-1P(4C) BMP-1PK(4A), BMP1-PK(4C), BMP-2, BMP-2K, BMP-3, BTR-60PB, BRDM-2, BRDM-2-AT3, BRDM-2-AT5

There are 21 seperate amphibious vehicle models to work with.

Every vehicle on this list can be seperately replaced. In other words for example you can replace the AAV-7C with something new while the AAV-7 remains unaffected. 

Edited by Aquila-CM

@37mm  You are getting this terrain making thing down really well.....Don't suppose you fancy doing a couple of hectares of delta for me at all?  :P

Presumably if I started a terrain ditch adjacent to a ford tile, I could run it tangentially across a paddy (away from the ford tile 'water source') as an irrigation channel?

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@37mm  You are getting this terrain making thing down really well.....Don't suppose you fancy doing a couple of hectares of delta for me at all?  :P

Presumably if I started a terrain ditch adjacent to a ford tile, I could run it tangentially across a paddy (away from the ford tile 'water source') as an irrigation channel?

Although I'll admit it is looking nice, it is still overwhelmingly  @Combatintman's original terrain... I've just swamped it up a bit (okay a lot) & changed the layout of the compounds.

From what I can tell, the irrigation channels cannot themselves be a source of water (to flood further pieces of terrain or ditches)... it's an accidental feature of having a water source next to the ditched tile only. Heck it's arguably a bug.

10 minutes ago, 37mm said:

From what I can tell, the irrigation channels cannot themselves be a source of water (to flood further pieces of terrain or ditches)... it's an accidental feature of having a water source next to the ditched tile only. Heck it's arguably a bug.

It's potentially a very useful bug.....Much more of a Mantis than a Cockroach IMHO.  ;)

I've not experimented with it on the delta map yet, I'm trying to cover a broad area before doing any serious detailing, hell I've only used four or five types of foliage so far.....It's a hell of a project, TBH I'd probably cut the map down if I didn't like all the different areas so much.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's potentially a very useful bug.....Much more of a Mantis than a Cockroach IMHO.  ;)

I've not experimented with it on the delta map yet, I'm trying to cover a broad area before doing any serious detailing, hell I've only used four or five types of foliage so far.....It's a hell of a project, TBH I'd probably cut the map down if I didn't like all the different areas so much.  :rolleyes:

Beware of doing too large of a map with this. Not sure how much of a resource hog it will be. 

Both 'Bishr' & 'Mtope Valley' are twice the area of the delta map, and the former has a city in it.....This one however has sea, swamps, islands, several villages (both stilt & regular) & also a couple of small towns (colonial & modern), a plantation, a couple of service stations.....etc.  ;)

HCneONJ.jpg

I'm reasonably optimistic (and I'm buying a new custom PC quite soon).  The finished map will be portioned up into smaller sub-maps for use in a campaign by @pujeB)

However it is taking a while to do!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

48 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Both 'Bishr' & 'Mtope Valley' are twice the area of the delta map, and the former has a city in it.....This one however has sea, swamps, islands, several villages (both stilt & regular) & also a couple of small towns (colonial & modern), a plantation, a couple of service stations.....etc.  ;)

HCneONJ.jpg

I'm reasonably optimistic (and I'm buying a new custom PC quite soon).  The finished map will be portioned up into smaller sub-maps for use in a campaign by @pujeB)

However it is taking a while to do!  :rolleyes:

Man that looks sweet. 

Cheers.....It was quite a pain to make TBH.  :rolleyes:

Removing the lower walls on a series of interconnected buildings, each with legged balconies on all four sides, requires some patience & precision.....One misplaced click in preview mode usually leads to another, & then another, and then the serious swearing starts!  ;)

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers.....It was quite a pain to make TBH.  :rolleyes:

Removing the lower walls on a series of interconnected buildings, each with legged balconies on all four sides, requires some patience & precision.....One misplaced click in preview mode usually leads to another, & then another, and then the serious swearing starts!  ;)

Could you mod an alpha channel into the lower floor? That would give you a ready made texture. Not sure if that saves work, or makes more!

eh, never mind. Doors and windows make it too complicated. Clicks it is. 

Edited by benpark

8 hours ago, 37mm said:

We've come a long way these past few months...

You know, I have to admit I have never been interested in CM conversions because no matter how much skill and imagination that has gone into them, they have never really done it for me. Just Frankensteined wishful thinking that's never quite lived up to the vision. I was skeptical as f*** when you guys first brought this up. Figured you'd sling a few interesting environmental textures and paint some vehicles and that would be that. Interesting but ultimately filed under "Acquired Taste Curiosity". And I felt fairly blasé about sbobovyc's program as nothing substantial ever really seemed to come of it except for a helmet, in four years.

Boy oh boy, I have never been more wrong in my life. Because of you, @sbobovyc, @Steppenwulf and @Aquila-CM we have entered a new era — a frontier never thought possible. You have joined the ranks of the innovators and greats from CM's past; like Magua, Tom, Molek & Bergman, Ryujin (who produced the first hex edit), Dpabrams, Aris, Kieme, JuJu, @Vein, @LongLeftFlank, and the that crazy East Front genius, @Umlaut, to name a few. You fellas will be the giants whose shoulders modders we have yet to meet, will stand on. With the deepest respect, from a guy who has been dicking with bmps and wavs for a good long time, I am profoundly impressed with what you have achieved. I salute you all.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

You know, I have to admit I have never been interested in CM conversions because no matter how much skill and imagination that has gone into them, they have never really done it for me. Just Frankensteined wishful thinking that's never quite lived up to the vision. I was skeptical as f*** when you guys first brought this up. Figured you'd sling a few interesting environmental textures and paint some vehicles and that would be that. Interesting but ultimately filed under "Acquired Taste Curiosity". And I felt fairly blasé about sbobovyc's program as nothing substantial ever really seemed to come of it except for a helmet, in four years.

Boy oh boy, I have never been more wrong in my life. Because of you, @sbobovyc, @Steppenwulf and @Aquila-CM we have entered a new era — a frontier never thought possible. You have joined the ranks of the innovators and greats from CM's past; like Magua, Tom, Molek & Bergman, Ryujin (who produced the first hex edit), Dpabrams, Aris, Kieme, JuJu, @Vein, @LongLeftFlank, and the that crazy East Front genius, @Umlaut, to name a few. You fellas will be the giants whose shoulders modders we have yet to meet, will stand on. With the deepest respect, from a guy who has been dicking with bmps and wavs for a good long time, I am profoundly impressed with what you have achieved. I salute you all.

Mord.

Compared with a true artist like @Sgt.Squarehead I feel like you're being way too kind.

However I will say that, currently, our unit portraits are just a bunch of unsatisfying placeholders...

3 hours ago, 37mm said:

However I will say that, currently, our unit portraits are just a bunch of unsatisfying placeholders...

You forgot the wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Is that a request? LOL.

Mord.

11 hours ago, 37mm said:

Compared with a true artist like @Sgt.Squarehead I feel like you're being way too kind.

You are kidding fella.....What you guys do is borderline witchcraft from my perspective.

But it sure is a lot of fun playing with the stuff you fellas make.  B)

I'll let you into a secret here.....I was similarly sceptical to @Mord  to begin with, then as the mod iterations proceeded, I found myself looking at what I'd made with your mod compilations and thinking, 'Wow.....This really is starting to look more than a bit different!' and we've come on leaps & bounds since then (to say my plans for 'Ikke-Phtang'** have changed in recent weeks would be something of an understatement).

** The ancient royal seat and some time capital of 'Bong-Hai'.....Basically Heaven & Earth's own variant of @LongLeftFlank's Ramadi.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

43 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If you fancy joining the Heaven & Earth crew, I for one would welcome you aboard.....Doubt I'm alone there.

Appreciate it but I doubt I am gonna have any time to dedicate to it. Now that SF2 portraits are done it's time to move on to FI and beyond. I could possibly whip up a few portraits for this but I couldn't get real detailed with them nor do I know how long it would take me. I'd also need to know for which units. If it's all of them then I doubt I can do it any time in the foreseeable future.

Mord.

From my perspective some generic portraits would be more than enough, hell, we're still winging it with TOE etc. to a certain degree as there is a lot of experimentation going on (on every front).....If you have the time they would be much appreciated, of that I'm sure.

But I'm equally sure that none of us would want to keep you away from the main CM games, where your work will be more widely appreciated.....Cheers for the positive waves though, with waves like that, the bridge has gotta still be up!  :P