Sign in to follow this  
Trica

Killing Abrams

I'm on 5th mission of russian campaign (Crossing the Dniepr), and the US tank from screenshot below basically halted my entire force. It was well hidden between two houses with a perfect view down the road I had to advance. I suspected that crossroad was well guarded, so I first shelled that area with 155mm heavily. I don't know if I hit it then, but that whole area took a lot of damage. After that, I sent a t-90 down the road and it got hit immediately and burst into flames. After that, I used infantry squads to spot it from the flank because I knew the approximate location. 

After pinpointing the exact location, I was able to call in artillery (point target) with my forward observers in church tower (they couldn't see the tank, but i was able to place a target on it). The US tank took several direct 155mm and 203mm hits (visible on screenshots) and all buildings around it were destroyed. I also used all my heavy helicopter ordnance on this guy (none of the guided missles were able to hit it, they all hit the ground or trees 30m away from the tank?!). He still managed to survive somehow.

At this point, I was basically out of heavy air and artillery rounds, so I sent two t-90s in hope they would spot him first, but it turned to catastrophe with both my tanks destroyed without even firing. 

How can this thing survive multiple 203mm rounds? Also, why did all my helicopter guided missles miss (even after artillery destroyed surrounding vegetation and buildings)? Also, briefing mentions precision artillery strikes, but all I have is point/area/linear with general/personell options. Are there guided artillery rounds in this game? Any tips on this situation?

cmbs.jpg

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Trica said:

Also, why did all my helicopter guided missles miss (even after artillery destroyed surrounding vegetation and buildings)? Also, briefing mentions precision artillery strikes, but all I have is point/area/linear with general/personell options. Are there guided artillery rounds in this game? Any tips on this situation?

he has APS (active protection system)

for Rus/Ukr side  you will have to use special FO team to call the PGM ( the one with laser designator ) because their PGM is guided by laser 

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

Posted (edited)

There's been a lot of discussion about the poor effects of Russian PGMs in particular and artillery in general on AFVs, notably Abrams & Bradley.....A significant number of us agree entirely with the points you raise. 

That tank should be as dead as a dodo.  :mellow:

2 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

he has APS (active protection system)

Not after he's been pounded with heavy artillery he doesn't:

2 hours ago, Trica said:

Also, why did all my helicopter guided missles miss (even after artillery destroyed surrounding vegetation and buildings)?

Trophy's protective shields wouldn't stop those fragments, the radar would be junk, the APS would OOS.  :rolleyes:

Not to mention the concussion effects on the crew, assuming the tank weren't actually blown to bits.....Which it would be.

2 hours ago, Trica said:

Are there guided artillery rounds in this game? Any tips on this situation?

Yes, but don't waste your time.....Typically you'll immobilise it at best and strangely although all the sensors are often displayed as being trashed they never seem to be blinded or even significantly degraded in real terms.  :unsure:

I've used nine 122mm precision munitions on a Bradley and it survived, still mobile and apparently fully functional, or sufficiently so for it to then defeat a T-90A (that knew exactly where it was) in a head on engagement immediately thereafter.

Utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Oh, I'm new to CMBS, didn't know that APS is so overpowered.

But why do helicopter ATGMs miss  the target entirely (they hit ground or some building 30-50m away from tank)? I thought APS blows up incoming projectiles, but to me it seems they fail to guide...

Posted (edited)

Sorry I'd assumed they were shot down by APS based on the comment from @Chibot Mk IX.....I've not studied APS to know whether it is overpowered and that's not a claim that I'm making.

Without watching the footage of your gunship attacks I couldn't even hazard a guess as to why they were not effective.....In my experience Hinds are one of the stronger cards in Red's hands.

My issue is, like yours, with the really quite remarkable (to put it politely) resilience of the Abrams & Bradley to artillery generally & Red PGMs in particular.....It rather begs the question; if those weapons can't actually kill their primary targets, why would Russia deploy them?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not after he's been pounded with heavy artillery he doesn't:

In RL , yes, that M1 should have been claimed as a "mission kill" . Track gone, gun fail, turret not move. Trophy APS system on the turret should become useless trash after first 152mm landing.    

But this is CMBS

From the screenshot the MG , track and engine are gone. Trophy marked as orange, so it is still working....

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

Posted (edited)

Dude.....Look at all those craters!  :o

If those were from 203mm guns that tank should be upside down and half buried, large parts of it should be stoved in as if hit with a massive hammer.....Because they just were!  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

But this is CMBS

I'm really starting to think so.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

In Real Life, as in Combat Mission - if the tank was disabled somewhere useless, then it'll be useless. If it's where it needs to be, then it's not a mission kill.

Abrams with APS are a nightmare to kill. Something that compounds the issue is that most of the "antitank" labelled air assets that the Russians have will rely on ATGMs, that Trophy will usually shoot down.

The most reliable tools the Russians have are MBT main guns, which *can* kill them frontally, but will only reliably do so from the sides, and anything that can volley-fire ATGMs, like the BMP-2M and Khrizantema. Even then, you're going to have better results with the tank main gun.

I'm not going to speculate as to whether these are over-modelled or not, since I can't do anything about that, but you do have tools that will kill them.

Posted (edited)

Here's the main thread dealing with AFV protection from artillery:

Taken from that thread.....Direct 152mm or 203mm hit on a T-64BV:

id3794-05.jpg

id3794-10.jpg

As this was done by a single round, a precision guided munition is a very likely candidate.....They seem a bit more effective in real life, don't they.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead