Steppenwulf's Modded Flavour Objects for SF2

Thought I'd open a new thread for previews of Steppenwulf's modded flavour objects for SF2. I'm going to open one for Black Sea also, over time I'll cross port all stuff (where applicable) for both games. These packs will become available for download as soon as CM Mods IV becomes active. 

vehicles-SF2.png

Nice. Blimey had a some rusted BMP and soviet truck hulks made a long time ago but they never got released. Problem is they don't function like real vehicles for blocking incoming. I've made a few suggestions for BF to give us a fifth vehicle state, "Parked". It would just be a stationary vehicle with no infantry, it would block line of site and take damage and catch fire when fired on. One can dream. Anyway, good work, man.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

3 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Thought I'd open a new thread for previews of Steppenwulf's modded flavour objects for SF2. I'm going to open one for Black Sea also, over time I'll cross port all stuff (where applicable) for both games. These packs will become available for download as soon as CM Mods IV becomes active. 

+1.  Very cool.  Thank you.  

4 hours ago, Mord said:

Problem is they don't function like real vehicles for blocking incoming.

Yes it's a good point to highlight and is a major drawback. Can anyone confirm that stock flavour objects do affect incoming to some extent, or not at all?

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Blimey had a some rusted BMP and soviet truck hulks made a long time ago but they never got released.

I could port these into SF2 but given the limited flavour slots (more limited than BS), is it useful to use the slots up with so many different vehicles? How useful are BMP's etc for scenario creation, esp given the fact that they can be put in any scenario as a destroyed/abandoned unit? 

Great stuff Mr Wulf!  It is my understanding that flavour objects are basically intangible, and don't block sight or fire, but I can't remember where I read it. That doesn't matter for a cabbage patch, but it is an issue when you are creating parked or abandoned vehicles, metal objects like shipping containers, and brick/concrete structures. I second Mord's idea for a "parked" state.

5 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

How useful are BMP's etc for scenario creation, esp given the fact that they can be put in any scenario as a destroyed/abandoned unit? 

I'd agree, this would be a poor use of the available slots in CM:SF2 and for exactly the reasons you describe.

21 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

I second Mord's idea for a "parked" state.

CM:SF2 already has a parked vehicle condition; 'Dismounted'.  

In CM:BS & all the other titles, this condition creates an Ammo Dump, not so in CM:SF2.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 month later...

One feature that I believe is missing from all CM2 games is the capacity for scenario designers to make realistic roadblocks. Ideally these would vary from military style stop points to full on barricades! Application of current flavour objects and a new set of manipulated objects will offer more possibilities. With this aim I have extended the range of objects from which roadblocks can be constructed Below is a very simple mock up but could be integrated with all sorts of other flavour objects (stock or modded ) to dress up the situation, it's just a question of imagination.......more examples to follow. 🐺 

tire-roadblock.png

5 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

I have extended the range of objects from which roadblocks can be constructed Below is a very simple mock up but could be integrated with all sorts of other flavour objects (stock or modded ) to dress up the situation, it's just a question of imagination.......more examples to follow. 🐺 

Interesting stuff.  @37mm recently created an invisible vehicle in CMSF2.  So the vehicle can be made to burn but only the flames and smoke are visible.  I wonder if his invisible burning vehicle could be placed in such a way to make those tires look like they were on fire................ lots of possibilities.  

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's a good idea, the invisible vehicle would properly impede movement in that area.

This is a checkpoint chicane right, rather than a barricade! The idea being to slow and stop through traffic! See an image below of the idea. There are other images on the net though.  

RTR3MH3B.jpg?itok=SSka_lM0

Regarding checkpoints, safe zones etc.. (for anything fortified really), I wanted to increase the selection of sandbags (some stacked higher & longer). With these varied sandbag objects, the scenario designer can assemble stacks as required. A diorama screenshot will illustrate, but obviously these objects can be combined with all others to embellish the scene/situation:-

sandbags.png

32 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Regarding checkpoints, safe zones etc.. (for anything fortified really), I wanted to increase the selection of sandbags (some stacked higher & longer). With these varied sandbag objects, the scenario designer can assemble stacks as required. A diorama screenshot will illustrate, but obviously these objects can be combined with all others to embellish the scene/situation:-

sandbags.png

+1.  Nice!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's a good idea, the invisible vehicle would properly impede movement in that area.  B)

PS - @The Steppenwulf  Hesco Barriers:

Porta_john_hescos.JPG

Doable?  :unsure:

your pixeltruppen will be eyeing the port o potties.  Man they really got to go.  It's been decades since they saw an outhouse....

On 5/14/2019 at 6:29 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CM:SF2 already has a parked vehicle condition; 'Dismounted'.

That's completely different than what I am talking about. The vehicles would load on the map minus crews, doors shut, engine off. They'd just be "parked" but susceptible to being shot and blown up.

Mord.

So.... with Hesco Barriers it occurred to me that they are not likely to be ever used in ones or twos but only as part of a larger fortification. So I dumped the idea of just having individual barriers as flavour objects and instead created full bastion walls as single objects.

Below are screenshots of what we have. 

hesco-bastion-sand.png

Not sure what looks best though the temperate or desert look?!  

hesco-bastion.png

I must add a big caveat about these particular models; as I discovered some time ago, large objects come with issues that I believe are so bad that they aren't perhaps a good idea to actually use them (Aquilia has noted the same in his recent posts but with some neat innovative workarounds). That said the meta data values that sbobovyc script is now able to identify, offers a way forward to resolve these issues. I plan to apply some time to this and we shall see what can be discovered.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

Yeah likely some of the same reason BF has shied away from large flavor items despite the many requests.  However development by the community doesn’t have the same limitations as BF faces. We can decide to accept some issues with gameplay for the value add we see in the mods.  BF though needs to insure gameplay first. I recall playing with some of the urban Stalingrad mods and while they looked really cool they did introduce things for me in gameplay and pathing that just made it hard for me to consider using too many of them. I suspect my adoption with these may be somewhat the same. I definitely like the idea of the large items like ships as backdrops where they won’t affect gameplay, but add a whole other aspect to the visuals.   The Blackhawk, rail cars and destroyed hummv I’ll also likely use.  The Hesco barriers I’ll have to try.  One flavor item we got in CMSF that I wish worked better are the concrete road barriers. What I think I’ll end up looking for is a mod that makes a low wall look like a concrete barrier so it functions better and then use the flavor object barrier just to add some variability in placement. 

And @Sgt.Squarehead I bet you could do the Sadr city barrier wall now.  😎

Edited by sburke