Grenade Issue?

Thanks, I assumed that originally but wanted to be certain.

The problem now seems to be that they start and end the turn with 5 charges and 7 grenades. The charge (or genade) is used as there's a nice explosion and a scream which  is always nice to hear in German when playing the Allies.

The ammo count seems to be incorrect, is this a known issue?

37 minutes ago, General Liederkranz said:

Do you mean the number doesn't change from the beginning to the end of the turn? As I recall, for some reason it's always been the case that grenades used at any time during the turn are deducted from the unit's count as soon as playback starts. I don't know if that's always been true of demo charges though?

I didn't know that. I've been playing SF/SF2/BS exclusively the past year and only now getting back into BN.

It seems this may also apply to demo charges as loading the previous turn does show one more demo (6).

I'll keep a closer eye on it but it sounds like this is a know issue and not something to be concerned about.

16 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

it's always been the case that grenades used at any time during the turn are deducted from the unit's count as soon as playback starts. I don't know if that's always been true of demo charges though?

Yes, this is what I understand as well.

IIRC it's the same game mechanism.  You'd have to go to the previous turn to see if the charge is still there.  Once a turn starts grenades and charges are used and one can't see them being used when one rewinds to the start.

A related tactic is that one should split squads with charges as a full squad may use 2 charges when ordered to breach.

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

A related tactic is that one should split squads with charges as a full squad may use 2 charges when ordered to breach.

You'll be happy to know this has been improved. An 8 man US Pioneer section now use 3 demo charges to blast bocage while a team will use but one.

A split will generate two 4 man teams with the A team receiving 2 charges and the B team getting 4 charges of the 6 demo charges.

Edited by Howler

Grenade count in WeGo: the first time through (real-time-ish) the count is accurate. I think. After the first replay, then the grenade count is "fixed" at the lowest point.

E.g., a squad has 12 grenades and throws one every 2 seconds for the first 24 seconds of the turn. As you focus on that squad after hitting "go", you'll see each grenade getting thrown and the grenade count decrementing down with each throw. At 10 seconds into the turn, they'll have 7 grenades left. At the end of the turn they'll show 0. If you then hit replay and watch them again, the grenade count will be 0 and, yet, they'll throw each of the 12 grenades.

At least, that's how it worked the last time I examined it. (It was reported and deemed WAD.)

Is it already a known issue that demo charges don't seem to be allocated past the original 2/4 split of charges? Once the team starting with 2 charges have used them - they seem to never get more in subsequent splits.

I was trying to workaround the 3 demo charge used to blast by using the smaller allocated team to do the work. The team with 2 charges will use but 1 charge while the other team with 4 charges would use 3 of them for the same work. Anyhow, once that team blasts twice using their 2 charges, I had them merge back into a section.

I was surprised to see the split show 0/4 instead of the hoped for 2/2.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having difficulty getting troops to use satchel charges - a patch change?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iJcTBuMN85mCaxxe8

These guys have been sitting here for two turns, threw all their grenades early on, now using garlands to shoot at the bunker, no use of satchel charges. MG scenario Out on a Limb.

This is combined with the old issue of invulnerable troops leaving a knocked out bunker, means I don't want to move them closer... 

Is there a maximum range for satchel charges that is shorter than for grenades?

2 hours ago, AlexUK said:

Is there a maximum range for satchel charges that is shorter than for grenades?

Yes, typically to use a demo charge your team has to be in the next action square.

To help seal with the angry hornets effect of troops exiting bunkers have one or two fire teams covering the door. 

Actually, that's exactly the bunker I was referring to in this thread.

As Ian responded - another team, or two, covering the back door and within  30 seconds of small arms the defenders will evade. Sometimes a demo will be used but it's not required. A few grenades do the trick. 

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Yes, typically to use a demo charge your team has to be in the next action square.

To help seal with the angry hornets effect of troops exiting bunkers have one or two fire teams covering the door. 

Thanks, that makes sense then...

I'll bring some help in😏