Sgt.Squarehead's CM:A Stuff

I've finally got the big valley map to a point where I'm happy to use it as a 'master map', it takes a little while to load, but it's stable enough once it does:

XMOHISA.jpg

It's not quite as detailed as I'd like (CM:A Flavour Objects are not the easiest to place, the rocks really hate steep slopes, which is kind of unfortunate), but I've done my best with it.....I dread to think how many times I've clicked on tiny components of this map in preview mode!  :blink:

Here's some scenes of daily life in the valley.  ;)

The day starts early for the water sellers who, like almost everybody else, are forced to hire guards to protect them from bandits as they go about their business in this lawless province:

KjbjI3h.jpg

Before their shift at the local mine a group of workers and their guards enjoy a hearty breakfast of local produce:

PYphB3Z.jpg

A large consignment of ore is ready to be delivered to the refinery in a nearby city:

2D708Jz.jpg

Meanwhile, near the highway, a DRA Army convoy has stopped to refuel and gather fresh supplies for their journey.....The convoy commander engages in the timeless ritual of haggling with the locals over their scandalous prices:

dU3J9J9.jpg

Map can be found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsrzlgkxrv6yl2t/[Map] Afghan Highway Valley.btt?dl=0

This is a totally blank map, no AI, no setup zones, no labels.....Nothing.  :mellow:

Feel free to use & modify it in any way that pleases you.  B)

PS - Ctrl+Clicking to fast move around this map in preview mode within the game editor is not recommended.....You may well delete or modify something!  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

45 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've finally got the big valley map to a point where I'm happy to use it as a 'master map', 

Feel free to use & modify it in any way that pleases you. 

+1  Nice job.  Very interesting map.  I may open it, build a FOB and run some operations.  Some of those compounds look like they need to be searched................. :lol: 

I'd love to see one of your unique concepts on this map fella, sadly I'm not sure how feasible it would be without triggers.  :unsure:

I'm planning a 2p only version called 'Opium Wars', one Tribal Group per side, simple occupy & destroy unit objectives, nothing fancy.....I've also a mind to make a 'cutting the highway' type scenario on it for the mid war period, but TBH there's enough on my plate already (Bishr).  :rolleyes: 

Then there's Abdul Gul's War, the whole point of this map.....That will be rather more complex.  ;)

While wealthier Afghans frequent the local restaurants and coffee houses:

uA919W4.jpg

The poorest of the poor eke out a meagre existence, surviving on the leavings of others:

mm0zogC.jpg

On the steep and winding road to the mine, a pickup has swerved to avoid an oncoming truck and run off the road.....A number of miners have been injured:

sLgP6Ak.jpg

The casualties are taken to the local clinic where they can receive basic medical attention:

oca7s94.jpg

Cheers guys.  B)

9 hours ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Would love to see a campaign from you, that would rekindle my interest for this whole series.

I'm working on it.....Have been for ages, but I got kind of distracted!  ;)

I'll put something out on this map before too long, for sure.....The version I've made available above is very slightly different to the one I'm using.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Seem that the Talibans writing some holidays postcards to theirs parents ;)

Yup, that's more or less what I was after.....But this map is nominally set in 1978 (it'll probably be heavily 'remodelled' when the Russians arrive!  ;) ), so we're only just starting with the Mujahideen, the Taliban are still a long way in the future.

@MOS:96B2P & I have been discussing my Blue campaign concept, I'm trying to model some of the political complexities of the war using branching; Will Abdul Gul allow himself to become involved with the heroin trade?  How about radical Islam?  Attacks on civilians?  However this all adds an additional level of complexity, which doesn't make for speedy progress.

I will probably need some testers in due course, I don't want to burn my main collaborator out and he has a few projects of his own.....

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers guys.  B)

I'm working on it.....Have been for ages, but I got kind of distracted!  ;)

I'll put something out on this map before too long, for sure.....The version I've made available above is very slightly different to the one I'm using.  :ph34r:

Yup, that's more or less what I was after.....But this map is nominally set in 1978 (it'll probably be heavily 'remodelled' when the Russians arrive!  ;) ), so we're only just starting with the Mujahideen, the Taliban are still a long way in the future.

@MOS:96B2P & I have been discussing my Blue campaign concept, I'm trying to model some of the political complexities of the war using branching; Will Abdul Gul allow himself to become involved with the heroin trade?  How about radical Islam?  Attacks on civilians?  However this all adds an additional level of complexity, which doesn't make for speedy progress.

I will probably need some testers in due course, I don't want to burn my main collaborator out and he has a few projects of his own.....

Very interresting concept when I can lend you a hand don't hesitate...;)

• 4 months later...

'The Opium War', a very simple two-player only scenario, set on my valley map, is available for testing:

SfPUOLR.jpg

If you are interested, ping me a PM.  B)

PS - Just noticed I misspelled 'Vasilyek', most embarrassing.....Another one set on this map, but that's for another day.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 1 year later...

I need two, who want what should be a very even fight with each other.....How even it actually proves to be is what I'm hoping to find out. 

The forces on either side are identical, but the terrain may favour one side or the other.....There's certainly plenty of it to use!  ;)

Current iteration is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1he8c6jhk9c9l03/[Test] The Opium War 2p.btt?dl=0

Keep in mind this is 2p Only there are no AI plans.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

That would be very cool.....I've done my best with the map and it would be great to see it getting some use. 

The scenario itself is very basic, but on such a big map I'd imagine there are a lot of different ways things could turn out (there are some very long LOS opportunities, but still well within the range of the heavier weapons at your disposal).

Always open to suggestions, recommendations etc. 

• 1 month later...

Scenario's fully playable, repeatedly tested, briefing's not the best, but it's not exactly complicated either.....Take the town or freeze/starve to death!  ;)

Still making a tactical map (I don't do operational or strategic, if you don't know where Afghanistan is, why are you playing CM:A?  :P )

Ping me a PM and I'll send you a link once I'm absolutely sure I haven't missed anything and I'm not wasting your time (this has been finished for a while, but I discovered I'd used a 1978 pattern Mujahideen Battalion and their weapons are very different, so it went on hold until I could summon up the will to replace everyone).

As is usual in my scenaros, I've suggested a basic plan of action and slapped down a zone for you to work from, but you'll need to refine it for yourself.....Clicking 'Big Red' and hoping for the best probably won't end very well (at best you'll find yourself doing a lot of maneuvering under fire, I suspect).  :ph34r:

PS - While this scenario isn't all that big, it can be moody in Win10.....I recommend saving not less than every 10 turns.  You may need to exit CM:A completely, then restart & reload to avoid persistent issues.  Outside my remit, I'm afraid.  :unsure:

Couple of screenies from my own testing:

PfTE6MS.jpg

jNiau4U.jpg

zPLY4Bt.jpg

1TE9Q8v.jpg

4MiXdIV.jpg

HAfCDC6.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead