Bil Hardenberger

CMSF 2 - Co-op AAR (Bil v IanL) Using Realism Rules

5 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

So rule 2 taking base platoons could mean that one or the other side could have very different force purchase costs?

No once you have picked your base platoon you can add what every like - attach stuff or pickup another unit. It's just a stipulation that you have at least a real world unit to start with.

Posted (edited)

Opening Moves - 1st through the 4th minutes

METT-T+Blue+Axis+of+Advance.png

Keep the above in mind as you read through this post...  

AXIS BRAVO

001-FARM-02.png

Using masked terrain as much as possible the RPG team led the movement down this axis, as I felt it was highly probable I could see some armored vehicles try to advance on the Farm.  They were followed by 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon, and behind them was one of the Recon Squads.

001-FARM-01.png

Once at the farm, their presence immediately started to pay dividends as they uncloaked at least two light armored vehicles and one infantry unit (on Objective Red).  If that's an FO or an ATGM on Objective Red I am going to want to put it out of action ASAP.. with that in mind the Recon Squad is called forward to push a little closer to get eyes and maybe weapon fire on Obj. Red.

001-FARM-03.png

With the Recon Squad a little closer it becomes clear that Ian has two ATGMs of unknown type on Objective Red.  Also note the additional two Light Armored Vehicle sound contacts in front of Obj. Red in the dead area behind the far Red Ridge.  The AT Team has taken up position in the corner of the walled courtyard, and is waiting for things to develop. 

001-OBJ_RED.png

I did not know which type of ATGM these were, as I'm crap at visually identifying equipment like this.. I need to get better if we keep playing with these rules that's for sure.  All I knew at the time was that these two ATGMs could devastate my movement toward the Bridge objective and I needed to do something about them.  I need to create a weapons identification guide.. that would be useful.

The second Recon Squad moved to the Farm to provide some extra firepower.

001-FARM-05.png

As the rules state, there is no direct targeting of enemy units in this game, so I gave my forward Recon Squad a target arc to cover Objective Red and let them control their fire. I don't think they did much damage to be honest, but at least Ian will know I see that ATGM and maybe he'll move it somewhere less dangerous.

AXIS ALPHA

001-ALPHA-01.png

On Axis Alpha one BTR is providing support in the gully while I originally placed the second BTR in a hull down position to cover the approaches to the Bridge.  The squads dismounted and started to advance down the gully toward KT2 and the Bridge.  

001-ALPHA-02.png

Once I spotted the ATGM on Objective Red I popped smoke and withdrew the BTR on the ridge and withdrew it into the gully.  I also changed my mind and remounted one squad in the first BTR to keep them fresh during this Movement to Contact.

001-ALPHA-03.png

The other two BTRs dropped off the Mortar Squad and the Platoon HQ.  In this area close to the Bridge the HQ will setup a listening post and hold there until relieved.  The Mortar meanwhile will setup in the little woods with the intent of eventually being able to place fire on Objective Red across map.  The BTRs will be moving back to Objective Blue to pick up personnel to shuffle to this area to keep building my Bridge Objective assault force.

Okay, now I will turn it over to Ian who can take his time as I will be on vacation next week   :)  However I will be checking in even though I can't post any turns while I am away.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

On 5/10/2019 at 10:46 PM, IICptMillerII said:

I thought this map looked vaguely familiar. Another fantastic map/scenario by @George MC! It's been quite the week for his maps¬†ūüėČ

He! So did I - thought it looked like one of mine but couldn’t figure out which one. Never thought of it being a section of one. Aye my stuff seems to be getting a fair bit of exposure. Like busses- wait fir ages then they all come at once! Great to see stuff being used and enjoyed. I’ll take that thanks :)

On 5/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:
  • AFÔĽŅ-Type 1
    1. Players can order area fire on an AS that DOES NOT have ANY positive or tentative contacts known by any unit 
    2. The PL must have LOS to the AS to direct fire from its squads and any squad to be given an area target order must be in C2 with the PL
  • ¬†

What is 'AS'?

Action Spot.

The point being that you can only fire on a given square when either the firing unit knows there is something there, or that none of your units know something is there. If someone on your side has that information, the ones without that information can't use it.

It's a rough abstraction, but it's not much more of an abstraction than the default one.

2 hours ago, domfluff said:

Action Spot.

It's officially action square but in this context spotsuffices. They are the 8m by 8m squares that make up the map. 

2 hours ago, domfluff said:

It's a rough abstraction, but it's not much more of an abstraction than the default one.

In my opinion the bigger difference is that you need to ensure your platoon leaders have LOS in order to direct the fire.