Dare I ask

I know it's not considered PC around here to ask about timescales.  But in true 'Emporers new clothes' fashion I'm going to ask.   

I think there was a time the Italy expansion and the Red Thunder expansion were expected to be released last year.  Obviously thats not the aspiration any more. 

Is it still hoped to release them or has development stopped?

(PS. sorry if I've missed a communication, but I've been visiting the Italy page regularly and not noticed anything)

26 minutes ago, Majick said:

I know it's not considered PC around here to ask about timescales.  But in true 'Emporers new clothes' fashion I'm going to ask.   

I think there was a time the Italy expansion and the Red Thunder expansion were expected to be released last year.  Obviously thats not the aspiration any more. 

Is it still hoped to release them or has development stopped?

(PS. sorry if I've missed a communication, but I've been visiting the Italy page regularly and not noticed anything)

An understandable mistake.

"Very close" is the most recent word, from within the last week.

The sequence of events will be:

Engine 4 patches
CMFI Module
CMRT Module

That's all the current information, but there's no suggestion that work on them has been stopped, quite the reverse.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:36 AM, domfluff said:

The sequence of events will be:

Engine 4 patches  CHECK
CMFI Module
CMRT Module

That's all the current information, but there's no suggestion that work on them has been stopped, quite the reverse.

This may help in perspective. ;) 

• 1 month later...

Being a former member of a development and Beta testing team, I can say for certain that "The plans of mice and men oft go awry." This certainly the case with any kind of computer program, especially ones dealing with games. The developers can be not five or ten minutes away when all of a sudden one of the testers finds a bug that takes days, weeks, or even months to correct. When a game company says something like "Game such and such will be out by the end of the month." don't be surprised if that deadline is almost always delayed. Patience is the key, especially with a gaming engine like Combat Mission is concerned.

Edited by WhiteWolf65

1 minute ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Being a former member of a development and Beta testing team, I can say for certain that "The plans of mice and men oft go awry." This certainly the case with any kind of computer program, especially ones dealing with games. The developers can be one day away from a release date when all of a sudden one of the testers finds a bug that takes days, weeks, or even months to correct. When a game company says something like "Game such and such will be out by the end of the month." don't be surprised if that deadline is almost always delayed. Patience is the key, especially with a game engine like Combat Mission. I do, and I always will, respect all the hard work that the Battlefront development and testing team has put into a game that has stood the test of time for two decades. You can't find many games like that today unless they are rehashed old games that nobody liked to begin with.

**Chris**

On 5/3/2019 at 5:36 AM, domfluff said:

Did I really say "very close" to having some updated information last week? Hhmm....I probably should have just said "close" but I must have meant it. Let me work on getting you something substantial to chew on this week....

Engine 4 patches  CHECK
CMFI Module
CMRT Module

Now that the first one is in the rearview mirror it's been easier to git moving. 

BFC has generally been pursuing an Eisenhower-like 'broad front' development strategy, pushing multiple project forward at roughly the same pace. When they feel the need they slow other projects while accelerating individuals ones. The CMSF2 title was a 'limited scope' project that grew into an unexpected monster, a real time sink. We're still not entirely out from under that project. It would be hard to overstate what scale of monster the coming CMFI module turned into! Then projects get interrupted by patch needs, which also need to be universal across the titles (the V2.02 patches just last week). in theory there is loads of stuff that is 'almost done'. What's needed is a clear open patch of road so they can step on the accelerator, roadblocks cleared from the path.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, BFCElvis said:

Did I really say "very close" to having some updated information last week? Hhmm....I probably should have just said "close" but I must have meant it. Let me work on getting you something substantial to chew on this week....

I did say that I'd work on getting something substantial to chew on this week. I was running out of week but we're very very close now.