Infantry walking pace

puje

Does anyone else feel that "normal" walking pace for infantry is excruciatingly slow?? 

I don't remember the exact time, but I think walking over 400m flat desert terrain took more than 5 minutes. Such a slow pace can be useful in certain cases, but I really think we need a quicker marching tempo. 

I seem to remember from the military that, kitted up, marching pace as 5 km pr 50-55 minutes.

Edited by puje

As I understand it, Marching pace is not what is represented in the game, however. In game Normal movement is men who know they may be fired on at any time are walking somewhere. They are not intently peering for the enemy like Hunt and moving slowly, but they are also not merely moving at best speed to a destination while a hundred miles from the front. 

Edited by Bud Backer

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

As I understand it, Marching pace is not what is represented in the game, however. In game Normal movement is men who know they may be fired on at any time are walking somewhere. They are not intently peering for the enemy like Hunt and moving slowly, but they are also not merely moving at best speed to a destination while a hundred miles from the front. 

I guess, but a marching pace would still be very helpfull. If a rear unit needs to move through a secured area to the front, the choice is either painfully slow, or to show up already tired. 

27 minutes ago, puje said:

I guess, but a marching pace would still be very helpfull. If a rear unit needs to move through a secured area to the front, the choice is either painfully slow, or to show up already tired.

Or, you can set short pauses every 40-50m and use quick. Many also use 20-30m fast/quick dashes followed by a short pause to get troops where needed, without tiring them unnecessarily, when enemy activity is expected.

6 hours ago, puje said:

I don't remember the exact time, but I think walking over 400m flat desert terrain took more than 5 minutes.

I seem to remember from the military that, kitted up, marching pace as 5 km pr 50-55 minutes.

I just ran a quick test, flat ground, open desert, 400 meters in 8 minutes or a pace of 3 km an hour.

Do you have a training manual or some other official source stating walking pace for troops, in the desert, in an anticipated combat zone? If you can find something official, it could be brought forward for a potential change. 

56 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

I just ran a quick test, flat ground, open desert, 400 meters in 8 minutes or a pace of 3 km an hour.

Do you have a training manual or some other official source stating walking pace for troops, in the desert, in an anticipated combat zone? If you can find something official, it could be brought forward for a potential change. 

But this does not come down to what a manual says. It's about how much pace difference there can be in a human walking. 

Just as I am able to order the pixeltruppen to go "fast" straight into an active enemy fighting position, so too would it be nice to have the possibility to order them to walk at a lively pace, whether tactically fitting the situation or not. 

It not really any different to the leader ordering the squad to pick up the pace. 

1 hour ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Work Rates ...

Work-to-Rest-WBGT.png

Given the setting of CMSF - your temperature ranges in most scenarios will sit in the yellow or above heat category. The maximum you could work your troops would therefore be 40 minutes. That said I think 'Move' is a tad on the slow side but to be fair the 'Quick' 'Pause' routine described earlier has always worked fine for me.

3 hours ago, puje said:

But this does not come down to what a manual says. It's about how much pace difference there can be in a human walking. 

Just as I am able to order the pixeltruppen to go "fast" straight into an active enemy fighting position, so too would it be nice to have the possibility to order them to walk at a lively pace, whether tactically fitting the situation or not. 

It not really any different to the leader ordering the squad to pick up the pace. 

So then what you are looking for is a movement speed between move and quick? Brisk?

There are very few maps you will ever see that cannot be crossed with a Move command in about ten minutes or so.

Any battle you fight which has reinforcements showing up "in the rear" which need to "march to the front" are much, much longer than ten minutes.

13 hours ago, puje said:

Does anyone else feel that "normal" walking pace for infantry is excruciatingly slow??

Take a breather every once in a while, you'll live longer.
Set your Move order, then go off and fight with the rest of your force while you wait for the reinforcement to catch up, just like real life.

I swear, people are grasping for any possible reason to be mad about anything these days.

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can I have one that's a bit faster than Slow, but not as fast as Move.....Maybe called 'Amble'?  :P

I want one faster than Fast, but also slower than Fast, with deliberately screwed up pathfinding called "Serpentine!"

Edited by General Jack Ripper

I vaguely recall normal (real world) pedestrian walking pace is about 5km per hour.
Which means 2.5km in a half hour, or 1.25km in fifteen minutes, or 625m in 7.5 minutes, or 312.5m in 3.75 minutes

This is one of the hazards of making 'overly ambitious' maps. If your pixel truppen need to walk corner-to-corner across a 2x2km map its going to take them more than a half hour to get there

Edited by MikeyD