New Afghanistan inspired campaign: Valleys of Death

• 3 weeks later...

I had great fun with this campaign. Every single mission offered up, at least a handful, of those moments of tension that keeps me coming back to Combat Mission. Some missions seemed droll at first glance, but they all ended up offering great and immersive experiences. To top it all off, it all feels very grounded and realistic.

The campaign also manages very well to tell a story. I think having all but two missions play out on the same map helps greatly with that. Strangely enough, watching pixeltruppen crest a ridge, becomes more interesting when that ridge has been crested before. When there's occassion for me to project my own memories of casualties inflicted by the enemy onto my pixellated platoons.

Thanks for letting us play! I hope you got as much enjoyment out of making this campaign as I got from playing it.

Spoiler follows, highlight to read: That RPG in the epilogue mission was a great touch.

Edited by hundtand
Fixing the spoiler marking, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/22/2019 at 5:42 PM, puje said:

Right now I'm working on a campaign for 37mm's Vietnam mod. I can't spend as much times on it as I did on this campaign, but I hope I can somewhat live up to the reviews of Valleys.

You knocked that sucker well & truly outta the park mate!

@puje's 'Year Of The Rat' campaign for CM:SF2 'Heaven & Earth' is available here:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Started playing though - I'm only three missions in and already had to come here to say how well done this is!

Being rather burnt out on "shock and awe" from the official campaigns and majority of scenarios - this is a breath of fresh air!

Never has poking your head over the crest of a hill as BLUFOR has been so tense! The fewer assets you have, the more you care about them.

• 4 months later...

I've just started playing this campaign, I'm on mission 3. So far it's a lot of fun. I like the way you have us using the same map but having to explore different parts of it.  One thing that would really help is allowing units to set up outside the base for missions where patrols have to go out. It's very difficult and time consuming to maneuver all the HMV's out, the TAC AI almost always gets one or more of them bogged or immobilized trying to drive over the trenches, regardless of the waypoints I put in. Otherwise, as I said, I'm enjoying it a great deal. Thanks for the time you put into it.

11 hours ago, Fatgreta1066 said:

I've just started playing this campaign, I'm on mission 3. So far it's a lot of fun. I like the way you have us using the same map but having to explore different parts of it.  One thing that would really help is allowing units to set up outside the base for missions where patrols have to go out. It's very difficult and time consuming to maneuver all the HMV's out, the TAC AI almost always gets one or more of them bogged or immobilized trying to drive over the trenches, regardless of the waypoints I put in. Otherwise, as I said, I'm enjoying it a great deal. Thanks for the time you put into it.

You are right about the exit being not ideal. I don't actually remember, but are the trenches and wire maybe movable in the setup phase? Maybe that could make it a bit easier? 

Edited by puje

8 hours ago, puje said:

You are right about the exit being not ideal. I don't actually remember, but are the trenches and wire maybe movable in the setup phase? Maybe that could make it a bit easier? 

they are moveable but they're permanent once you start the scenario. Setup zones outside the wire would cover it. It's not a big deal, the campaign is still a lot of fun.

• 6 months later...

Ok, I know I am really late to the party here...

But, I have been deeply engrossed in this campaign and am really just loving the whole thing.  The tension going out on patrol is palpable and you really really become attached to your squads.  I know exactly how many casualties I have suffered so far and felt every one.

I am currently on the mission where I have the new outpost and have set an ambush in the woods and need to test the river depth.  I'm just gnashing my teeth figuring out how to get down the river test spots in a valley full of Taliban.  I think smoke is my friend here. 

Anyway, I've suffered 3 WIA and 1 KIA.  The KIA was due to a suicide bomber in the assassination mission.  

Just wanted to say thanks!  This campaign is fantastic!  

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, Phantom Captain said:

The tension going out on patrol is palpable and you really really become attached to your squads.  I know exactly how many casualties I have suffered so far and felt every one.

I'm a latecomer too and know exactly what you mean regarding casualties.  I'm only on mission 3 so far and took my first KIA after having 2 wounded in mission 2.  I was devastated.

It's a great little campaign.....I got realy attatached to my pixeltruppen, every loss was deeply mourned.  :(

On 11/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Cpt_Winters said:

Thanks so much for all the effort put in to this.  I can't even begin to imagine the hours to put this all together. 

@puje has also made a similar campaign for our Pseudo-Vietnam mod 'Heaven & Earth'.....If you are enjoying 'Valleys' I'm sure you would enjoy 'Year of The Rat':

msqZnN2.jpg

VfSCVq4.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 11/8/2021 at 9:15 PM, Cpt_Winters said:

@puje I've just purchased CMSF2 and after reading this thread I have downloaded your campaign before playing anything else.  I'm currently on mission 3 and thoroughly enjoying it so far.  

Thanks so much for all the effort put in to this.  I can't even begin to imagine the hours to put this all together.  

Thanks for playing! Can't believe it's been so long since I made this. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to drop by, whilst it's still January 2022 - bit late to the show - sorry fellas'

HAPPY NEW YEAR. and Gosh. what a campaign this was. I have just fired it up again.. and going to whack 'em

Thanks @puje any more in the works for an Afghan setting ? (besides the Year of the Rat)