Stuck in Spotting phase

Doing a small scenario example for AI triggers, I have seen that the "on map" M1129 or the spotter remains stuck in Spotting phase. I am using CMSF2 v2.01.

Rarely the "on map" M1129 will fire, it happens once so far. But, usually, it will just remain stuck. In this situation, the "Delivery = " parameter remains empty as you can see on the below screenshot:

GQ1Nk.png

Did anyone else notice this?

I did a quick mini test. Apparently you are using the vehicle commander as a spotter spotting for another vehicle's mortar crew.

My test the delivery time was first pegged at '4 minutes', then the mortar crew transitioned to 'receiving', then to 'spotting', then the M1129 vehicle turned broadside to bring the mortar to bear on the target, then the mortaring began.

So this wasn't a 'direct fire' order for the mortar, which would be immediate, but was an on-map mortar being targeted by a separate FO (the vehicle commander). Here's my test, you can see the vehicle and mortar team are being treated as separate.

Stryker test.jpg

Here is the complete sequence. I am using the 3rd platoon HQ to call indirect fire with the "on map" M1129.

• At 29:25 - status is RECEIVING with DELIVERY = TWO MIN

g5vkJ.png

• At 29:16 - status is PREPARING with DELIVERY = ONE MIN

k35ne.png

• At 28:50 - status is SPOTTING with DELIVERY =

VxwE8.png

• At 22:01, the M1129 turns in firing position but nothing happens.

a2ZEy.png

I stop to wait at 16:45. Scenario length is 30 minutes.

3JP7J.png

What is funny is that doing the exact same thing BEFORE starting the scenario, the "on map" M1129 will immediately turns in firing position and will start firing once scenario starts.

Due to this, I wonder. Is it a C3I problem? My OOB is on the following screenshot. Note that I have removed B company HQ, XO team and Fire Support Team. I am confused by the Delivery parameter set at 1 minute at one stage and nothing more happening next...

9J07q.png

How far away is the mortar from the target?

Those 120mm mortars have a minimum range of about 500m (IIRC). If you're too close the mortar won't fire, so you won't get any spotting rounds. That might explain why its stuck in the spotting phase.

Try moving the mortar carrier further away.

It looks like in-game fire support to me.

If you select the mortar crew instead of the vehicle (...let me quickly double check to make sure) you will get immediate 'direct fire' but won't get any control over the round type. If you move your aim point too close it won't do anything and won't tell you why. My quick test the mortar will firing on targets 326m away but not targets 280m away.

20 hours ago, Hapless said:

How far away is the mortar from the target?

15 hours ago, MikeyD said:

My quick test the mortar will firing on targets 326m away but not targets 280m away.

The target is at 332 meters. You are right if I am selecting a target around 400 meters away, the spotting rounds are launched.

JoOVJ.png

What is strange is why the fire mission is authorized before starting the scenario? The distance has not magically changed.

Edited by ncc1701e

17 hours ago, MikeyD said:

It looks like in-game fire support to me.

And yes sorry, this is an in-game fire support mission that I am ordering.

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm a bit confused, is this something you are trying to achieve through the editor?  With a trigger?  :unsure:

I am a bit confused now too because I am unsure what the AI does using Area Fire. Here is the situation. I have designated group number 4 (A4) for the Mortar section:

9J07q.png

And, the order number 2 for the AI plan of group number 4 is to perform Area Fire of the same above ditch. Order number 2 starts 30 seconds after the beginning of the scenario.

yERLv.png

So, in this case, does AI perform an indirect fire mission or a direct fire mission? I assume a direct fire mission since AI is firing.

Thanks

What (VERY) little I've played with this feature, an AI on-map mortar given a properly timed 'area fire' painted target should endeavor to drop bombs onto the target whether its within LOS or not. From my few attempts, it seems the timing of the mortaring is iffy as the crew have to orient themselves, adjust and fidget around a bit before they start firing. If you paint a movement area for that order as well the mortar crew will pack up, move, then set up again (so no painted movement  orders!). I'm not sure that this always works and I haven't discovered the variables involved but its fun to experiment with. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...