Saumur Panzer IV/H in full array out and about

Have never seen a Panzer IV get the same sort of treatment the big cats get, but this is a tremendous corrective measure. Believe it's a Panzer IV/H, and the paint job is spectacular.

https://www.facebook.com/atelierdesaumur?__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARANIMW22RTvmMwYYsJTj9Nwy39tU-HQNLO2AQ42Wr-aXeHfNz2CONu5xBfqzq1zKA7JPb1HqcE2JUcJ&hc_ref=ARRsvUatEft78D8HHdjMHOvqTKC-SQGcveGT37P30G7e65bIgxs-QD3tK1VZgUKLDN8&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S. No idea why it won't display properly here. Worked great on FB. Nor was Tiny URL helpful, either. 

Edited by John Kettler

Fortunately, there's YT. Am absolutely baffled as to how they maneuvered this particular tank with no one in the cupola nor any evidence of rear view mirrors, though they may've been lost to me in the tremendous amount of visual clutter and excitement. It's easy to see how one could be mistaken as a Tiger 1. To me, a IV/H in full array like this one is one of the most marrtial looking tanks ever.

Regards,

John Kettler

7 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Fortunately, there's YT. Am absolutely baffled as to how they maneuvered this particular tank with no one in the cupola nor any evidence of rear view mirrors, though they may've been lost to me in the tremendous amount of visual clutter and excitement. It's easy to see how one could be mistaken as a Tiger 1. To me, a IV/H in full array like this one is one of the most marrtial looking tanks ever.

Regards,

John Kettler

A brilliant piece of driving. He must have had a lot of faith in the guy giving the hand signals.

The paint-job is a little... artistic. But it's in a very good state, and it's beautiful.

What caught my eye as well is that Sherman with markings from the 741th Tank Battalion. You know, those guys who assist you through quite a lot of CMBN campaigns and scenarios?

Edited by Frenchy56

14 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

The paint-job is a little... artistic.

What do you think is wrong with it?   

That scheme's pretty well known and documented.....Here's a period image of a tank from the same company:

26371865190_2537f52bd3_b.jpg

I'd say they did a pretty fine job (forgot to idiot-proof their schurzen though).  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Yeah, it's a fairly common camo -- at least, in the West. I'm guessing it would be what the Allies would be seeing in France, circa 1944. Or a variant of such:

panzer_IV_Ausf-H_2pzdfr44.png

"Ausf.H of the IInd Panzerdivision, France, June 1944." -- Tank Encyclopedia.

I remember reading that German AFVs shipped with buckets of paint (seasonal) -- so, it was up to the crew's artistic skill to paint them.

19 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Could we have that in English by any chance?

At once, Lord Protector Cromwell:

The Hun Mark 4 is the most bombastic, fabulous, ponce water-carrier throughout the realm.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What do you think is wrong with it?   

That scheme's pretty well known and documented.....Here's a period image of a tank from the same company:

26371865190_2537f52bd3_b.jpg

I'd say they did a pretty fine job (forgot to idiot-proof their schurzen though).  B)

Wow. I actually have never seen that exact paint job, or at least the fact that it's in black and white left less of an impression if I actually did see it before.

Edited by Frenchy56

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

Yeah, it's a fairly common camo -- at least, in the West. I'm guessing it would be what the Allies would be seeing in France, circa 1944. Or a variant of such:

panzer_IV_Ausf-H_2pzdfr44.png

"Ausf.H of the IInd Panzerdivision, France, June 1944." -- Tank Encyclopedia.

This camouflage is applied in a pretty regular way on this picture. The one at Saumur and in @Sgt.Squarehead's post looked a bit more creatively applied.

Edited by Frenchy56

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

I remember reading that German AFVs shipped with buckets of paint (seasonal) -- so, it was up to the crew's artistic skill to paint them.

This, IIRC, is correct**, although I believe the paint was supplied as a dry paste to be thinned with petrol (possibly with water too, esp. for winter white-wash camo).

I've got a pretty comprehensive library of WWII images, always happy to try to track stuff down if there's an interest.

** In this instance, it does not apply to everything, especially not to Hetzers!  ;)

• 9 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:43 AM, Badger73 said:

It seems one must be a Facebook member (which I am not)

You could always make yourself a fake account. I did that once and although I don't go into that account very often it can be useful to get in contact with companies that only let you write them on Facebook.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...