European Union Army

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

But I have to say one thing. A more independent, stronger and better equipped EU army would be very welcome, but we will always need to remember that we have MUCH more in common with US, Britain and our other present NATO allies than we have with certain other powers. Let's hope the present irritation between these natural allies will disappear if those who cause it also disappear, because nobody is going to benefit from disunity, except our enemies. A lot of propaganda about these days. I sometimes wonder if that also didn't play a role in the Brexit and the alienation between US and Europe. Let's be careful.

For what it's worth, I'd like to say Hear hear! Particularly the last sentence.

Michael

5 hours ago, hank24 said:

I think, when you decide to have a military force, you have the obligation to train and equip it to the best standards possible and affordable.   

Agreed. 

But there is a large proportion in our population which is clearly opposing more military spending, maybe due to WW II, the reheating cold war with its nuclear threat here, all the lies they heard from people keen to start a war, e.g. Saddams weapons of mass destruction.  

Or maybe a large portion of the population has different spending priorities for reasons that more directly effect the bottom line of their personal situation and finances.   Will a government invest in a squadron of advanced fighter jets for a war that may never come or use that same money to buy votes in the next round of elections?  It is one thing to have a modern military and a different thing to equip, train and maintain it.          

Is here anybody thinking that the US would spend less when Germany spends more?

Language problems should be less after all these international deployments. Everybody is speaking english.  

No, the US would not spend less.  At least I hope not.  

I'm not sure if you are serious about speaking English or making a joke.  Why would a EU military speak English?  If there are no native English speaking military organizations that are part of the EU military wouldn't the EU pick one of their own languages?  French or German or something?         

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm not sure if you are serious about speaking English or making a joke.  Why would a EU military speak English?  If there are no native English speaking military organizations that are part of the EU military wouldn't the EU pick one of their own languages?  French or German or something?         

English is a modern day Latin. Everybody from Estonia to Portugal speaks English nowadays. It's not XIX century for people to communicate in French ;)

Edited by Ivanov

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Naturally we'll have to start charging licensing fees for our intellectual property once we leave the EU.  ;)

You could start with the ungrateful colonials from over the pond. But I'm afraid if we go down that way, the Arabs may start charging everybody for the use of their numerals. 

5 hours ago, Ivanov said:

You could start with the ungrateful colonials from over the pond. But I'm afraid if we go down that way, the Arabs may start charging everybody for the use of their numerals. 

Numerals are entirely of Hindu origin actually. Arabs/Muslims took over a lot of their 'wisdom' from the culture of the people they conquered.

Edited by Aragorn2002

15 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Numerals are entirely of Hindu origin actually. Arabs/Muslims took over a lot of their 'wisdom' from the culture of the people they conquered.

Yes, but the Arabs hold the trademark and everybody thinks it was them. Just like Edison and the bulb.