Question about Fire?

I have played all WW2 CM titles and also Graviteam tactics Mius Front and like them all. But I  think saying

a person that only plays CM is not a true wargamer is very unfair. Besides we're all busy and gaming time is limited.

Let people play what they like.  Back to the fire topic. I like it too and have said in other threads I wish there was more of it

in the game. But I am sure Battlefront has good reasons for not expanding this particular element.

Edited by J Bennett

10 hours ago, sburke said:

Or they are a war gamer unsatisfied with graviteam games. Not all games are for everyone fortunately we have choices. I play with a very infantry centric view in CM. Graviteam doesn’t scratch my itch. 

It sounded like you were dismissing it because it was inferior to Combat Mission. Just wanted to clarifiy for other people.

Armored combat is well done in that game in my opinion, and the infantry AI is more independent, however it can lead to some stupid stuff happening, especially tight spaces. Ground deformation due to artillery is also a plus, it actually has trenches/foxholes that go under the ground and field guns are less laughably ineffective than in CM.

If you like fighting across Ukraine's great plains, Graviteam would suit you more. If you like fighting through cities, bocage or more wooded areas then Combat Mission is you jam.

I do admit that I own all of Graviteam's releases except Steel Fury and Achtung Panzer, but I've been playing Combat Mission more because it has better quality of life and infantry models (the ones in Graviteam and Tank Warfare are sometimes so trash I can't stand looking at them).

Edited by Frenchy56

I've been playing Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943, recently. All the infantry have the same face, and it looks like this:

120px-Arrrgh!.jpg

One of the major complaints I've had with Graviteam's games, starting from Achtung Panzer, are the arbitrary rules for the operational layer. I had 3 companies of german infantry attack 1 company of Valentine infantry tanks. I decided to preserve them and retreat before the Hun brought AT guns to bear. There is a friendly sector square behind them, where they should retreat. However, because its two slots are occupied by infantry companies, the game says that the Valentine company routed -- and I lost every single tank. WTF? How?

I've also had sectors that I captured with 100s of fine British gentlemen, in the tactical layer -- only to find that the enemy still controls them in the operational layer. After almost a decade of playing these games, I still get this nonsense (which makes me go back to CM). It seems operational layers are easier said, than done. Back to topic:

Steel Panthers has a VERY annoying (RNG) fire mechanic. Troops will get suppressed by the fire on their hex, and refuse to get out of the area. I'd like to see a proper simulation of fire in CM, but right now -- I'd settle for those patches. Inversely to SP, my troops in deep trenches sometimes decide to have a jog during mortar bombardment.

Edited by DerKommissar

I don't recall Steve ever saying they'll never expand fire beyond what we now have. It's just a question of priorities. We know there is a very long wish list of items wanted by both fans and Battlefront. Right now I assume the patch is at the top, but beyond that only Steve and Charles (and maybe the second second programmer, I'm unclear if there is one already) know what the top priorities are .

But if we add fire to the game it will open a whole new can of worms no one wants!

For instance, The Fortress Italy series of games will have to add a Italian Command Unit to play the violin while Italian structures are burning!

If there is forest fires then the American forces will have to include a bear with a shovel as a engineer unit to control the situation!

And the list just keeps on going!

5 hours ago, IronCat60 said:

But if we add fire to the game it will open a whole new can of worms no one wants!

For instance, The Fortress Italy series of games will have to add a Italian Command Unit to play the violin while Italian structures are burning!

If there is forest fires then the American forces will have to include a bear with a shovel as a engineer unit to control the situation!

And the list just keeps on going!

Dont quit your day job.