Combat Mission Suggestion ?!

Greetings!

A couple of days ago a Video from german "Gamestar" about WW2 Hardcore-Strategy Games brought Combat Mission to my attention.

Now i looked up at the Game-Section of the battlefront site and there are a couple of WW2 Games.

Which one would you suggest?

The most recent? Or should i get the one which is set in the most interesting theater for me (being the eastern front) ?

Is there a specific game that has "the most" user scenarios/mods?

And what is the difference between the game engines?

most recent = better i assume?!

I hope that i don´t anger the veterans amongst you with this "noobie" questions.

13 minutes ago, UterusMaximus said:

A couple of days ago a Video from german "Gamestar" about WW2 Hardcore-Strategy Games brought Combat Mission to my attention.

Cool - welcome

Now i looked up at the Game-Section of the battlefront site and there are a couple of WW2 Games.

Which one would you suggest?

The most recent? Or should i get the one which is set in the most interesting theater for me (being the eastern front) ?

Well the usual advice is to get the theatre that interests you the most. There are differences in the number of scenarios. For the WW2 titles CM Battle for Normandy has been around the longest and has two modules and a couple of packs, CM Fortress Italy has a module (with another one due next) and CM Red Thunder is just the base game (with a module due after that) as is CM Final Blitzkrieg (with only the promise that there will be a module at some point).

Is there a specific game that has "the most" user scenarios/mods?

You can check out this site which has a list of (nearly) all scenarios: http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com/index.html

And what is the difference between the game engines?

most recent = better i assume?!

Ah this is the beauty part - BFC have been keeping the older games up to date as engine improvements are made. So with very few exceptions CMBN has been updated to Engine 4 and has all the features that the newest version has CMFB. So, you have no fear of in that regard.

I hope that i don´t anger the veterans amongst you with this "noobie" questions.

No problem. Come to think of it my FAQ thread doesn't cover that - it covers more the 10th - 50th question you will have once you start playing though:

The game engines are kept up to date (except for Combat Mission Afghanistan) so no worries there.  If you like WWII eastern front then CM Red Thunder is probably your first choice (you'll eventually be back for more of the titles).  BFC has free demos up on the website that you could try out.   

Welcome to the forum.  If /when you have questions return here and ask.  This is a generally friendly, helpful group here.  Speaking of friends, I just got ninja'd by @IanL while I was typing.  :D  Wow he has a lot of content in his post too.  What Ian said.  :)

I bought Final Blitzkrieg because I thought it would be more up to date but later on realized that it doesn't matter much which game you choose because they all use the same engine. If I knew that earlier I would have picked Red Thunder.

So if you want the theatre you're more interested in go for Red Thunder and if you want the theatre with more modules go for the Battle for Normandy bundle.

Edited by BornGinger

5 hours ago, IanL said:

So with very few exceptions CMBN has been updated to Engine 4 and has all the features that the newest version has CMFB.

One exception, which some players regard as important, is that CMBN lacks tank riders and according to BFC is unlikely to ever get them.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

14 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

One exception, which some players regard as important, is that CMBN lacks tank riders and according to BFC is unlikely to ever get them.

I understand why it was in RT. I also understand why it might be safer to keep the TOE/engine feature in the subsequent FB release rather than try to remove it from vehicles that are common to both RT and FB. Less disruptive resulting in fewer faults being raised...

What I fail to see is why some players regard it as important as it wasn't doctrine in either BN or FI to ride into battle on a tank. Would you, by any chance, remember why it was important to some players?

It certainly isn't considered an exception in BS, SF, or SF2. It's not doctrine. Ergo...

8 hours ago, Howler said:

What I fail to see is why some players regard it as important as it wasn't doctrine in either BN or FI to ride into battle on a tank.

During the breakthrough phase of OPERATION COBRA there were several instances of infantry mounting tanks in order for them to get forward quickly and provide support for the armor when it was needed. There simply wasn't enough transport to give them the needed mobility. It would be nice to be able to model this in CM. As for Italy, I am unaware of any instances where this was practiced, but other players may have such knowledge.

Michael

I love the Eastern Front theatre for wargaming but one thing to bear in mind about Red Thunder is that a lot of the stock missions are quite large (battalion size) compared to the other WWII titles. Also, since you're here, you should check out the two modern warfare titles (Black Sea and Shock Force 2). The modern Russian army in Black Sea is a lot of fun, whilst the asymmetry in Shock Force is a unique experience compared to the other titles.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

3 hours ago, Cpl Steiner said:

I love the Eastern Front theatre for wargaming but one thing to bear in mind about Red Thunder is that a lot of the stock missions are quite large (battalion size) compared to the other WWII titles. Also, since you're here, you should check out the two modern warfare titles (Black Sea and Shock Force 2). The modern Russian army in Black Sea is a lot of fun, whilst the asymmetry in Shock Force is a unique experience compared to the other titles.

Thanks for the suggestion. But WW2 has priotity right now, but i will keep an eye on the modern stuff!

On 3/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, Cpl Steiner said:

Another point to mention: RT is not the typical Eastern Front game, since it covers Operation Bagration only.

Unfortunately, there is no early war module, no Kursk, no Stalingrad... And those probably won’t ‘t be there for a very long time.

The good news is there is no 'wrong answer', unless someone tells you 'Pick a theater you have no interest in because its got more content'. If you prefer ISU-152s over Churchill tanks or Sherman Jumbos or T-72s or Italian tankettes the answer is self-evident. More good news: there are a lot of demos to download and try out, play and practice on.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

The good news is there is no 'wrong answer', unless someone tells you 'Pick a theater you have no interest in because its got more content'. If you prefer ISU-152s over Churchill tanks or Sherman Jumbos or T-72s or Italian tankettes the answer is self-evident. More good news: there are a lot of demos to download and try out, play and practice on.

And this is extremely true!

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

I played a bit with the RT and FB Demos and i tend more to FB right now because of the winter scenarios and the possibility to command Heer as well as W-SS (which i find very interesting).

So i think this is a good choice for me for the beginning.

With the Demos i got a good look into the game-mechanics.

Seems like a game to keep!

15 hours ago, UterusMaximus said:

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

I played a bit with the RT and FB Demos and i tend more to FB right now because of the winter scenarios and the possibility to command Heer as well as W-SS (which i find very interesting).

So i think this is a good choice for me for the beginning.

With the Demos i got a good look into the game-mechanics.

Seems like a game to keep!

FB is a good choice and you won´t regret it starting the series with this one. You can always continue with other theaters if you got aquainted with the game engine and like it. B)

Edit: Amount of available missions for the game shouldn´t really be of concern. Beside playing quick battles, PBEM human opponents, you always have the opportunity to create your dream missions in the fairly easy to use game´s editor. In case you get into any troubles with self made mission design, you can rely on the many people around  here giving hints and support.

Edited by RockinHarry

50 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

FB is a good choice and you won´t regret it starting the series with this one. You can always continue with other theaters if you got aquainted with the game engine and like it. B)

Edit: Amount of available missions for the game shouldn´t really be of concern. Beside playing quick battles, PBEM human opponents, you always have the opportunity to create your dream missions in the fairly easy to use game´s editor. In case you get into any troubles with self made mission design, you can rely on the many people around  here giving hints and support.

Thank you, sir!

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:13 PM, UterusMaximus said:

Oh wow, that is some help.

Thanks guys!

I will spent some time with the Red Thunder Demo then and read the linked FAQ thread - thanks!

Yes, and Welcome aboard...

Oh, and if ever interested in playing against Human Opponents, then post it on the Forum's Opponent Finder section...For me, I try and only play against 'Newbs'...You know, to help them better their Gaming experience (and better chance for me to win :-)

Joe

Edited by JoMc67