campaign Semper Fi - AAVs everywhere

I just played through the marines campaign. all around a good campaign (just a couple of badly implemented mission). 

One thing really struck my eye. Every squad has its own AAV and also one for the platoons HQ units... 

quite from the manual:
"Each Marines Rifle Company can fit into an AAV/MTVR Platoon, which means the typical scenario should not have more than one platoon of transport. Note that itis possible to purchase the AAVs in Company strength, which is enough capacity to move an entire Marines Infantry Battalion."

So why am I seeing a company of AAV for a company of infantry? This silliness is a rule in the Semper Fi campaing, not an exemption. 

2 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

Just because you CAN cram an entire infantry company into a platoon of aav's like sardines in a can, doesn't mean you WANT to, or even NEED to.
You certainly don't HAVE to either...

I agree that is a very good point. There is are very very few situations where I would mount my infantry in CM this way (all of the eggs in one basket). 

But I think it should be dictated by reality. What did the Marines have in the gulf war or the Iraq war? This is a "feature" of the USMC I would have liked to experience. Also, the ammo loadout that comes with the AAVs, especially Javelins makes the situation absurd. A Company gets whole battalions javelins but still just two launchers...

The AAV is the only mechanised vehicle they have to trasport people. in 2003 thats what they rode. Ofcourse they arent designed to take much damage so...use them as such. I think the only scenario in the campaign is used them to fire on positions was mission 2 where they was just no other unit available. 

Also take into account an AAV platoon conists of 12 vehicles. The`proportions in the campaign are correct. YOu never see more than one AAV platoon in any scenario. One AAV platoon carries a Marine company.

Edited by Boche

1 hour ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I agree that is a very good point. There is are very very few situations where I would mount my infantry in CM this way (all of the eggs in one basket). 

But I think it should be dictated by reality. What did the Marines have in the gulf war or the Iraq war? This is a "feature" of the USMC I would have liked to experience. Also, the ammo loadout that comes with the AAVs, especially Javelins makes the situation absurd. A Company gets whole battalions javelins but still just two launchers...

You do realize that this is all a correct reflection of reality right? 

In the Marines the javelin is a company level weapon. Meaning there is only 1 javelin launcher per company. But all AAVs carry ammo for it. It is this way in the game because it is this way in real life. If you have a problem with it you can always direct your opinion in correspondence to the Marines. They’re out of Quantico Virginia. 

Oh and the Marines have had the AAV for decades. Since the 80s at least. 

1 hour ago, Boche said:

Also take into account an AAV platoon conists of 12 vehicles. The`proportions in the campaign are correct. YOu never see more than one AAV platoon in any scenario. One AAV platoon carries a Marine company.

My mistake, I was wrong. I had no idea AAV platoon has 12 tracks. I presumed automatically that in this case, a platoon equals 4 (+/- 1). So that would make 4 AAVs per platoon of marines. a surprisingly large amount of extra "seats". 

4 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

My mistake, I was wrong. I had no idea AAV platoon has 12 tracks. I presumed automatically that in this case, a platoon equals 4 (+/- 1). So that would make 4 AAVs per platoon of marines. a surprisingly large amount of extra "seats". 

No worries, learn something everyday :). I also found all of this curious when i started the USMC campaign back in CMSF1 and got into digging.

If you want to read more you can always wiki what a Marine Expeditionary Unit (what you play as in the campaign) is all about:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_expeditionary_unit

A snippet from what you play as in the campaign: 

"The ground combat element (GCE) is based on the battalion landing team (BLT), an infantry battalion reinforced with an artillery battery, amphibious assault vehicle platoon, combat engineer platoon, light armored reconnaissancecompany, tank platoon, reconnaissance platoon, and other units as the mission and circumstances require. The total strength is approximately 1,100 members, including navy sailors."

1 hour ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Edited by slysniper

I rode around in one of them in the mid 80"s for a summer.

I recall no extra seats, and if there was room it was filled with gear.

back then, there was 13 men squads, you might have part of the weapons platoon assigned to you , so that was either a MG team of mortar squad generally.  the track crew I recall was 3 back then, so at least one of those guys was in the back with us.

Also they were notorious for brake-downs and mech. problems. So it was not uncommon to have to add in additional guys from another track that would have to be left behind.

But compared to every thing else out there, they are like a hotel with first class options as to space we had.

Not bad other than slower than all heck and so large that a no one has a excuse for not hitting them with whatever they are firing at them at max. range. 

Needless to say, never wanted to ride in one if it was going into a real battle zone.

4 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

It's not your fault, it's the Marines fault for not understanding what a "Platoon" is, and valuing "leg room" over "discretion" for some strange reason.

Aside from the "platoon" being 12 vehicles, there's also confirmation bias at work - the platoon is a mobile asset, which is assigned to where it's needed. Since Combat Mission deals with the explodey parts, games scenarios are generally going to represent "where it's needed" , so you'll see more of them there than "average".