[scenario] Afghan Roulette + Taliban mod

8 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

If used together with my Taliban mod, both Syrian fighters and combatants will all have the same appearance, the only visual difference being that fighters wear ammo pouches.  

+1  Nice!  Thanks for making this.  

Also Fighters have the technical group (Heavy) which can now be made to appear with the combatant look instead of the Ninja pajamas.    

On 3/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

Taliban Heart of Darkness fix for Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - No Mod Tags -

Okay you're going to need this one actually if you want to play the Heart of Darkness campaign or a QB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77q1fx08phh0k5j/zTaliban HeartofDarkness fix - No Tags.rar?dl=0

Oh no my weekend is lost...

...lost to playing the HOD campaign, which you made finally possible.

Thank you very much Zveroboy!

• 2 weeks later...

Andreas,

Silly question:

Some of the other troops in the enclosure are not marked 'Garrison' and are not included in your orders. These are the other two sections in the platoon, 'Sir' the Platoon Commander, and Zero Alpha. (aka Major Heath)  

1) Are these non garrison odds and sods allowed to come out and play at the start of the scenario, or do I begin with only the section outside the enclosure, the breach team, the MG team the MFC, and Sniper Team 4?

2) Have you decided to take the risk and issue 'Sir' with live ammunition?  😏

SLR

Edited by SelfLoadingRifle

Okay I need to fix that, good catch.

Yeah you can use every unit that's not marked garrison and take them for a stroll in the pleasant Afghan countryside. You'd get clobbered out there for sure with just one squad.

2IC can tag along too. I usually let him stay with the MG and the sniper team but that's up to you.

(by the way i am not Andreas)

Edited by Zveroboy1

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, borg said:

If one wishes to have this / play this - as a night mission . Can it be done in an editor ? And change time of day ? Or would it mess up anything . I was thinking - how thrilling itd be for night missions . ⭐

Yes - go into the Mission part of the editor and change the time of day. Whether it would mess anything up … I have no idea, try it and see.

Of course you're free to experiment with the scenario and tweak it to your heart's content. For instance it would be fairly easy to replace the british forces with marines or units from another ISAF contingent.

But I have to admit, I am not sure how much sense it would make to have this take place at night. The reason being that this isn't supposed to be a commando raid or more generally speaking the type of engagement where you try to sneak in, avoid detection and reach the objective unseen. You're not trying to achieve surprise here.

On the contrary, in this particular case, the purpose of the patrol is to draw fire from the insurgents. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in the briefing, or maybe it is just the inclination of CM players, i.e try to use cover as much as possible and stay out of sight to avoid casualties. But here, historically, the purpose was actually to act as bait in order to keep the Taliban busy and away from the reconstruction effort taking place in the village to the north. The village is actually just a couple hundreds of meters to the north of the map. This doesn't mean that you should forego basic tactics like scouting, having a base of fire, force preservation etc but the goal is to provoke the Taliban by patrolling in the open and draw them into a shootout where you should prevail because of your superior firepower.

Finally, I am not even sure the Taliban often operate at night, well besides the planting of IED's, but I mean as far as combat operations are concerned. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has been there but I am thinking that they would be at an even bigger disadvantage because of night vision and the lack of civilian crowds to blend in.

Anyway just my two cents.

6 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Of course you're free to experiment with the scenario and tweak it to your heart's content. For instance it would be fairly easy to replace the british forces with marines or units from another ISAF contingent.

But I have to admit, I am not sure how much sense it would make to have this take place at night. The reason being that this isn't supposed to be a commando raid or more generally speaking the type of engagement where you try to sneak in, avoid detection and reach the objective unseen. You're not trying to achieve surprise here.

On the contrary, in this particular case, the purpose of the patrol is to draw fire from the insurgents. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in the briefing, or maybe it is just the inclination of CM players, i.e try to use cover as much as possible and stay out of sight to avoid casualties. But here, historically, the purpose was actually to act as bait in order to keep the Taliban busy and away from the reconstruction effort taking place in the village to the north. The village is actually just a couple hundreds of meters to the north of the map. This doesn't mean that you should forego basic tactics like scouting, having a base of fire, force preservation etc but the goal is to provoke the Taliban by patrolling in the open and draw them into a shootout where you should prevail because of your superior firepower.

Finally, I am not even sure the Taliban often operate at night, well besides the planting of IED's, but I mean as far as combat operations are concerned. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has been there but I am thinking that they would be at an even bigger disadvantage because of night vision and the lack of civilian crowds to blend in.

I've been three times, once with the British Army and twice with the Australian Army and I'm due out on a plane to Kabul this week. Essentially you are correct, your standard insurgent initiated fire fight would generally be a daytime only activity. Night time was generally reserved for sleeping, IED planting, intimidating locals and IDF attacks.

7 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Thanks for this!

Tbh I have ZERO experience in afghan/talib boots on the ground since I’m no soldier let alone being present. The scenario works beautiful During the day as you said and as written. I was asking whether a scenario (any one ) can be shifted from day to night in the editor - which it seems it can ! And in the context of Afghan ops -  I was inclined to think of / follow the ‘controversial’ joint US/afghan night ops to capture talib commanders. I guess such high value targets would be protected . And even IF surprise is key at the beginning ... maybe this won’t be the case once the red forces are alerted.

and i simply wish to see beautiful scenario maps such as this :) how they are seen at different times of day - even to drive around and zoom in .

Yeah no worries, I was just trying to provide some context for the scenario. It requires a different mindset than the usual scenario I think. In CM you don't usually want to just walk in the open in order to draw fire. But that was just what the British forces were trying to do here. They were gagging for a proper fight and being frustrated by all the IED's and the "dickers" watching them at all times but that they couldn't shoot unless first shot at etc. In the real operation, they had some units in reserve that they planned to commit once the understrength bait element was successfully engaged by the enemy.

It is loosely based on a documentary that you can watch on youtube. I think I have linked it at the beginning of the thread. It is a good watch, only the first two episodes are relevant to this scenario, so you don't even have to watch the whole thing. What you describe, a raid to capture Taliban leaders, it could work too of course. Actually I think there is one made for SF1. I could find the name of the scenario if you are interested.

Combatintman thanks for the insight.

33 minutes ago, borg said:

Thanks @Zveroboy1 :) are u referring to the night op by @Combatintman of Bin Laden ? That was adrenaline rush and I loved it. I’ll watch the clips you mentioned , and in case u know of cmsf1 scenario name can u bump it here ? 

Possibly the Bin Laden thing but that was set in Pakistan and was an SF operation. A lot of my early Afghan stuff was based on actual operations conducted by 3 Commando Brigade during Op HERRICK 5 of which I have direct personal knowledge. Some of those were deliberate night operations with a specific goal, such as the raid on Jugroom Fort and were therefore set at night because the actual operation took place at night. As @Zveroboy1 has said, to get context, you should watch the documentary on which his mission is based. I think this is the first Episode:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, waffelmann said:

Wouldn't eventually the indian-infantry-models in the upcoming CMFI making good talibans?

They might yes. I don't have CMFI though. Perhaps I will get it but I am not sure yet. In any case, retexturing a model from scratch is far from easy. I told myself I would never do it again for infantry, it was just too painful. 😖😭

On 11/7/2019 at 12:35 AM, Kline0341 said:

Can you re-upload this for people who don't have British Forces? 

Sorry but probably not. At least not in the near future.