Unable to finish the "hot mustard" sp battle

2nd to the last sp battles in Italy, it is labeled as huge on the map description. The battle goes well until the tanks show up unseen yet by my troops, I can always tell when tanks are arriving on map because of the huge lag spike. It does not go away. I cannot pan left or right on the screen it is so bad and becomes unplayable. I remember this happened on one of the huge blitzkrieg sp battles, but was able to finish it because I had destroyed the tanks. I am going to call this one a bug possibly with tank arrivals. In all I beat every sp battle on fortress Italy as allies except the two huge maps battles on 2nd page, all were really well except for about four of the battles which I thought were terribly made but still beat.

I've loaded up a few huge maps recently just to check if my system can handle it.

I've a relatively mediocre i5-2400, with 8GB RAM & a 1050 Ti Graphics card.

With 1080p resolution, all AA off (on both in game options & your graphics card profile), Vsync off & a Balanced 3d Model Quality I can move around a huge map at ~45fps. It rarely dips below 30 fps even when I'm right down at eye level with tanks everywhere.

If I turn shadows & shaders off I get ~10 fps onto that.

I didn't bother changing the 3d Model quality to fast but I imagine that too would gain me another ~10fps.

With so much fps to play around with, it's then usually not an issue to turn on a bit of cheap AA with reshade (might cost you ~1fps).

Huge maps (and in CMSF2 giant urban sprawls) are intimidating but if you adjust your settings correctly you should be able to play all but the most absurdly massive/complex maps.

Edited by 37mm

Hey 37mm, All vsync off and aa  always off for me, no shaders or shadows . Lansing the abscess, the last battle didn't lag one bit all the way through and it was in the huge category, larger than mustard by far awesome map. I have to see what mustard has in the map that lancing the abscess does not.  Just tried hot mustard again and same slow movement unable to even pan. A very odd thing is when I press pause everything returns to normal I can pan freely and normally, when I un-pause i attempt to play  I can barely move the mouse, 5 seconds in real life equals 1 second on game countdown.

Edited by user1000

5 hours ago, user1000 said:

Hey 37mm, All vsync off and aa  always off for me, no shaders or shadows . Lansing the abscess, the last battle didn't lag one bit all the way through and it was in the huge category, larger than mustard by far awesome map. I have to see what mustard has in the map that lancing the abscess does not.  Just tried hot mustard again and same slow movement unable to even pan. A very odd thing is when I press pause everything returns to normal I can pan freely and normally, when I un-pause i attempt to play  I can barely move the mouse, 5 seconds in real life equals 1 second on game countdown.

Now that is interesting.

I too don't have CMFI (yet)... so I can't test anything directly myself.

After doing the googles though, it also appears that you're not the only one complaining about this particular scenario either.

I'd ask you to explore a few possibilities...

(i) As Howler advises, make sure your tree detail is 'low'. Also experiment by turning all tree's off (ALT-T) then going to your briefing screen, then going back to your game (that resets & reloads everything).

(ii) There's another version of 'Hot Mustard' available, is that really slow for you too?

(iii) I had an issue a few months back with "threaded optimization" settings on my graphics card profile... make sure they're switched off (especially if you use 'movie mode').

(iv) There are loads of LOS calculations in Hot Mustard because of the terrain, have you made sure your CPU is operating at maximum performance with its power settings?

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

Also experiment by turning all tree's off (ALT-T) .

Is there any point in playing the most realistic WW2 game on the market if you turn the trees off? If my granddad had asked Monty if he could turns the trees off he'd have probably been told not to be so damn facetious.

55 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Is there any point in playing the most realistic WW2 game on the market if you turn the trees off? If my granddad had asked Monty if he could turns the trees off he'd have probably been told not to be so damn facetious.

Playing?

No.

However I specifically said it was an experiment.

It might help determine if his lagging issues on this one huge scenario (and seemingly not any other huge scenario) are graphics related or LOS calculation related.

27 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

Try to turn the model quality to the lowest setting as well. I'd reckon that if you want to play this scenario you'd need to turn the texture detail all the way down as well.

Shaders don't affect performance all that much.

Shaders/Shadows do affect performance... however it depends on the map/time of day whether it's a particularly noticeable difference.

Turning them off when its bright & they're a lot of buildings around can make a big difference*.

Turning them off at night is kinda pointless.

*I learnt this recently when Task Force Narwick rolled into a large city.

Edited by 37mm

15 hours ago, 37mm said:

....a 1050 Ti Graphics card.

With 1080p resolution, all AA off (on both in game options & your graphics card profile), Vsync off & a Balanced 3d Model Quality I can move around a huge map at ~45fps. It rarely dips below 30 fps even when I'm right down at eye level with tanks everywhere.

Good to know! It´s (GTX 1050 TI) part of my soon to be purchased new computer. :)

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

Playing?

No.

However I specifically said it was an experiment.

It might help determine if his lagging issues on this one huge scenario (and seemingly not any other huge scenario) are graphics related or LOS calculation related.

You did indeed. My apologies.

5 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Good to know! It´s (GTX 1050 TI) part of my soon to be purchased new computer. :)

CM is a CPU intensive game... if I was to offer you one piece of advice (assuming the primary games you play are CM) it is concentrate on pure, single thread, Ghz.

An i-5 2400 isn't that bad in that respect (it turbo's at 3.4Ghz).

However, my Motherboard?

I have no hope of upgrading to a K CPU (which would allow some mild overclocking) & probably the best upgrade I can get is an i5-2500 (3.6Ghz).

22 minutes ago, 37mm said:

CM is a CPU intensive game... if I was to offer you one piece of advice (assuming the primary games you play are CM) it is concentrate on pure, single thread, Ghz.

An i-5 2400 isn't that bad in that respect (it turbo's at 3.4Ghz).

However, my Motherboard?

I have no hope of upgrading to a K CPU (which would allow some mild overclocking) & probably the best upgrade I can get is an i5-2500 (3.6Ghz).

the hardware I selected is i5 7500, 8 GB Ram on ASUS H110M-R MB and mentioned GTX 1050, 4GB VRAM. Any possible concerns? I also might upgrade to 16 GB RAM for the package as further option pre purchase. No SSD (I don´t want any ATM). Win10 Pro 64 Bit preinstalled.

54 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

the hardware I selected is i5 7500, 8 GB Ram on ASUS H110M-R MB and mentioned GTX 1050, 4GB VRAM. Any possible concerns? I also might upgrade to 16 GB RAM for the package as further option pre purchase. No SSD (I don´t want any ATM). Win10 Pro 64 Bit preinstalled.

Having a very quick look.

i5-7500's turbo up to 3.8Ghz... so that's pretty good.

Your motherboard is upgradeable & supports at least an i7-7700K (4.2 Ghz... with mild overclocking, probably 4.5Ghz).

All good.

Your Graphics card?

I can't tell if your proposed Motherboard even supports a 1050 Ti never mind could be upgraded further.

I'd check up on that.

Another piece of advice... ask your supplier to run a benchmark & send you the results.

I don't know if they would do it, but it seems to me that if they don't... f**k 'em.

3 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Your Graphics card?

I can't tell if your proposed Motherboard even supports a 1050 Ti never mind could be upgraded further

that offered combo is a preset package from vendor, so both should well comply for compatibility. Generally I should be fine with all hardware in that PC, not just with regard to (CM) gaming I think.

1 minute ago, RockinHarry said:

that offered combo is a preset package from vendor, so both should well comply for compatibility. Generally I should be fine with all hardware in that PC, not just with regard to (CM) gaming I think.

Nonetheless I can give no advice on whether it's a "good deal" or not.

I would advise checking up on it.

Altogether, I like the sound of the Motherboard... better than what I bloody have.

7 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Nonetheless I can give no advice on whether it's a "good deal" or not.

I would advise checking up on it.

Altogether, I like the sound of the Motherboard... better than what I bloody have.

We´ll see. But thanks anyway. It raised my confidence that all will be fine hopefully. :)

On 3/9/2019 at 12:31 AM, Howler said:

I don't have FI but some have reported a noticeable improvement in other titles, particularly on heavily forested maps, by setting Tree Details to Low.

already at low

On 3/9/2019 at 4:42 AM, 37mm said:

I'd ask you to explore a few possibilities...

(i) As Howler advises, make sure your tree detail is 'low'. Also experiment by turning all tree's off (ALT-T) then going to your briefing screen, then going back to your game (that resets & reloads everything).

(ii) There's another version of 'Hot Mustard' available, is that really slow for you too?

(iii) I had an issue a few months back with "threaded optimization" settings on my graphics card profile... make sure they're switched off (especially if you use 'movie mode').

(iv) There are loads of LOS calculations in Hot Mustard because of the terrain, have you made sure your CPU is operating at maximum performance with its power settings?

More ai is not what i wanted for this battle.

Tree detail was already set at low.

It's at max performance

On 3/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Are you playing the game in WeGo or real time?

realtime

23 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Try to turn the model quality to the lowest setting as well. I'd reckon that if you want to play this scenario you'd need to turn the texture detail all the way down as well.

Shaders don't affect performance all that much.

I see no difference in game quality with it all the way up or all the way down it runs as it should on all maps except this.

All shaders and shadows off do help performance.

2 hours ago, user1000 said:

More ai is not what i wanted for this battle.

I know, I was just wondering if there was a issue with the scenario file itself.

It really doesn't sound like you have a graphics/settings issue.

Which means you're likely having a LOS calculation issue.

Playing in RT means all the LOS calculations have to be done in real-time... I don't think your PC can cope with the CPU load (we're talking hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of checks).

Try playing the scenario in We-go, then the calculations are performed during the turn processing phase.

Edited by 37mm

1 hour ago, user1000 said:

It's 2 hours long, if it were 30min I'd play it wego.

Needs must, I'm afraid

Your options are, with regards to this scenario...

(i) Upgrade your CPU

(ii) Play in Wego

(ii) Don't play it, instead play another scenario.

1 hour ago, user1000 said:

Each load time takes 3min every 2 minutes of play.

If this means what I think it does, then that gives you an idea of how many LOS calculations are being performed in this scenario.

That "blue bar" turn processing time is NOT a loading process... the vast majority of it will be the LOS calculations for that minute of play.