The Truelife* Mode PBEM DAR - RockinHarry German POV

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, RockinHarry said:

I´d lost bits of drive lately and beeing more concerned with RL stuff and such. I´ll get going in short again.

Stuff happens mate - I've got so much RL going on I barely have time to check the forum let alone crack on with my projects. I'm sure people would rather wait and see you finish the AAR to the high standard it is at right now rather than have you rush your game and description of it.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, Combatintman said:

Stuff happens mate - I've got so much RL going on I barely have time to check the forum let alone crack on with my projects. I'm sure people would rather wait and see you finish the AAR to the high standard it is at right now rather than have you rush your game and description of it.

For things I like doing, I tend to get close to a burnout situation sooner or later. One or two weeks of recuperation usually fixes that again. B)

Yeah, after playing versions of CM for 20 years now, burn-out is a regular issue.  Sometimes it takes a few weeks or months away.  Take a break.  Too many talented modders and designers have vanished over the years after making huge efforts, never to be heard of again.  :(

I take a break by switching from tactical to operational level warfare, like The Operational Art of War.  back & forth, keeps both fresh.  Currently doing 'what if' scenario where instead of sending forces south for the great kiev encirclement in august 1941, germans go for broke toward Moscow, as guderian et al suggested.  I am encircling and destroying lots of soviet forces, but dang, there's always more.  And my supply lines aren't getting any shorter.  Turns out mechanized units need fuel, who knew?  And in two years or so I bet I'll be doing 1941 battles like this in CM (please please please). 

On 4/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, BletchleyGeek said:

I think you will find this game more enjoyable than playing the Italian Campaign in WITW as the Allies. I would rather have a couple teeth pulled out tbh.

Give me a shout in a few weeks time if you want a PBEM buddy for WITW. 

hey BG :) I just came to start and learn some on the westwall and bulge scenarios when I stopped again, turning my attention back on CM in february. Likely got to (re-) learn all of WITW game mechanics again it seems. At a later time (early summer maybe) I´ll get back to you regarding PBEM, if nothing else gets between. B)

Family is flying out for a wedding in faraway Pensacola, Fla, area.  Four days of wargaming!  Gotta finish current TOAW campaign ASAP so I can spend lots of time w CM in lovely Italy, which is the CM  game I've played the least so far. 

7 hours ago, slippy said:

Out of interest what operational games would you all recommend Please? I have seen Operational Art Of War mentioned, is that the IV version? Thanks for  any duggestions.

Regards slippy

I just can tell of a previous version of TOAW which I played years ago. I think it is quite good and has lots of versatility. The newest version (IV) is surely even better. Another one I actually like is Command Ops of which I played the initial version. It had bits of issues with more static types of warfare, but it´s surely great for war of movement. It´s now at V2 and free to play (limited OOB and mission amount version though).

Since I´ve no issues with steep learning curves and hardcore realism, I´m going strategic straightaway, with Grigsby´s War in the West (WITW) and Hearts of Iron 3 (HOI 3) beeing firmly anchored on my hard drive. B) For something different I also like Crusader Kings 2 (CK2) and Europa Universalis IV (EU4) which provide  a nice diversion from any WW2 or modern setting.

There´s surely more good operational games, like the Tiller series, but these are bits too light for my taste. Same for the numerous Panzer General rip offs, which off course can be quite fun for a short time.

Edit: all feel free for bits of off topic before I continue with the DAR. :)

Edited by RockinHarry

8 hours ago, slippy said:

Out of interest what operational games would you all recommend Please? I have seen Operational Art Of War mentioned, is that the IV version? Thanks for  any duggestions.

Regards slippy

Yes, I am playing TOAW IV.  I had the original twenty years ago but never worked to get good at it.  Much better this time.  It's not perfect, but it is fun.  The programmed opponent ('AI') is not always great, but sometimes pretty good.  I like a game like this where supply are key.  There's lots of 'operational' games that are basically just chess because they ignore supply.  I'd say I am 75-25% CM over TOAW with my time, but it makes for a nice change of pace from tactical.

• 3 months later...

like to notice that any pics in this thread (and elsewhere) will vanish very soon. Tinypic announced quitting service in short time. Sorry for breaking it off in the middle of it, but think it did the purpose sufficiently well (testing animation file mod in PBEM and learn making DAR/AAR). Thanks all for participating. :)

@Heirloom_Tomato you might look in here as I quit this now officially. Thanks for taking time and having provided a great and fun game, even if not quite concluded. This for sure got me on the taste for more PBEM in the near future. B)

Edited by RockinHarry

Glad to see my men were doing a good job of causing you grief even with the little information I had to go on. 

While I haven't played around too much with the invisible icons since, I think it adds an amazing perspective to the game. You can still move the camera anywhere on the map, zoom in close and check out what units you see, but keeping track of it all and not seeing something yourself certainly adds to the FOW. I would highly recommend players try it out in a H2H battle with someone they trust.

Thanks for the battle and mods @RockinHarry, I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me. 

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 3:00 AM, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Glad to see my men were doing a good job of causing you grief even with the little information I had to go on. 

While I haven't played around too much with the invisible icons since, I think it adds an amazing perspective to the game. You can still move the camera anywhere on the map, zoom in close and check out what units you see, but keeping track of it all and not seeing something yourself certainly adds to the FOW. I would highly recommend players try it out in a H2H battle with someone they trust.

Thanks for the battle and mods @RockinHarry, I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me. 

Think the actual fun was about to start yet. :D I´ve still all the saves and if finding time and motivation again we can keep going on with it. Though no DAR continuation then. Just seen the pics are still all here, but tinypic now has given shutdown date of September 16th, 2019. Oh well. I haven´t yet looked into your DAR thread btw.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:47 AM, JoMc67 said:

NOOOooo, RH & HT...Well, at least you both got to enjoy the Game while using the 'Realism Mod' :-) 

yeah... sorry on that. Too little time and too busy elsewhere unfortunately. Beside the benefits having the mod tested in PBEM, I couldn´t have wished for a better opponent introducing me to CMX2 H2H generally. B)