Special Effects Mix

5 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

So I have been testing this mix, it is pretty good but with the subdued tracers, I can't tell who is shooting who lol

Lol I freely admit that this mix has not been designed with practicality in mind. I remember thinking (and doing) the exact same thing the first time I tried out Vein's tracers a few years back.

so I ended up reverting back to Vein's.

Just for the sake of clairity, the tracers in this mix, for all intents & purposes, are Veins tracers updated to work with engine 4 games (which introduced new orange, red, green & white tracers). As CMSF2 only uses "red tracers" & "green tracers" his earlier mods will not work (unless you renamed them).

I think you've actually reverted to stock effects.

Otherwise I like it, good job.

Thanks.

Weird. I have Vein's v4 tracers installed and I have your mix on top of it, loading after, because it is in a folder named CMBS Special Effects and yours is ME. That's the way it works right? I checked and Vein's has all the different colours, not just two so it is v4 for sure. I could have sworn I saw a difference when I removed the tracers. Go figure. Anyway it is not important.

1 hour ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Weird. I have Vein's v4 tracers installed and I have your mix on top of it, loading after, because it is in a folder named CMBS Special Effects and yours is ME. That's the way it works right? I checked and Vein's has all the different colours, not just two so it is v4 for sure. I could have sworn I saw a difference when I removed the tracers. Go figure. Anyway it is not important.

Very weird... if Vein did a v4 I can't find it on CMMODS.

Could you dropbox me your file & I'll try & see what the hell is going on... and what else might have been updated.

Okay I have no idea if calling them v4 is the right nomenclature, but they do have green, orange, red and white tracers. I forgot where I found them, don't think it was on CMMOS but in a thread somewhere.

But when you said in your previous post  "for all intents & purposes, are Veins tracers updated to work with engine 4 games".

Do you mean updated by Veins? In that case this is what I am using. Or updated by you?

I'll send you a dropbox link.

(To clarify, the rar file has v4 in the name, but I am pretty sure it was me who added that in order not to overwrite the older tracers I had in the same directory.)

Okay I have no idea if calling them v4 is the right nomenclature, but they do have green, orange, red and white tracers. I forgot where I found them, don't think it was on CMMOS but in a thread somewhere.

But when you said in your previous post  "for all intents & purposes, are Veins tracers updated to work with engine 4 games".

Do you mean updated by Veins? In that case this is what I am using. Or updated by you?

I'll send you a dropbox link.

(To clarify, the rar file has v4 in the name, but I am pretty sure it was me who added that in order not to overwrite the older tracers I had in the same directory.)

Hmmm, very interesting there are some differences betwee the V3 vein effects I have & the v4 ones you have... the explosion is ever so slightly different, tanks muzzle fire is different & gray smoke is different for a start.

The vein style tracers in my special effects mix were my own attempt at an update... but your one's indeed appear to be better with more vibrant colours.

Thanks for this (although I'm a little grumpy that I never knew it existed)... I'll certainly be playing around with these!

Nice, glad I could help. At one point I thought maybe I was just tripping and imagining things.. This is going to give me a little sanity boost.🙏

First impressions of "v4"(?).

I think I'll be using the tracers & the grey smoke in my finished mix however, as it turns out, I actually prefer most of the v3 effects.

Strangely, the small arms muzzle effects hadn't been updated to engine 4 standards.

The flames seem really slow too (even at 90+ fps) so will be sticking with Drakenlordes mod there.

I have updated the original dropbox link with the second beta version of the mix.

Changes are...

-Proper v4 Vein tracers added

-A slightly different "Subdued Vein" explosion (using bitmaps from his v1 & v3 explosion)

A new 'optional set' has been introduced...

SMALL ARMS  (place one z before one of the four options)

Realistic, Subdued... I feel these subdued flashes, alongside Barbarico's grey smoke, give the most realistic effect for representing modern small arms fire

Realistic, Balanced... As above but the muzzle flashes are more noticeable, perhaps better for representing WW2 small arms.

Smokey, Subdued... Barbarico's grey smoke has been replaced with veins v4 grey smoke. This smoke is better for smokey combat scenes.

Smokey, Balanced... Barbarico's grey smoke has been replaced with veins v4 grey smoke. This smoke is better for smokey combat scenes.

Edited by 37mm

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

just tested. Must be something different. :huh: :blink:

RH, that's just how the animations work in CMSF2.  I asked that question when it was first released because I thought it had to do with the old trenches by default turning into fernces.  But those in the know said it was just how the animations work for most (all?) obstacles.

5 hours ago, mjkerner said:

RH, that's just how the animations work in CMSF2.  I asked that question when it was first released because I thought it had to do with the old trenches by default turning into fernces.  But those in the know said it was just how the animations work for most (all?) obstacles.

obstacles, yes. But which exactly? I can´t see any in the vid above at 04:14. Anyway, it inspired me for some new mod ideas.  I´d call it no more hurdles runner something. :D

Loving this mix of effects. I was just finding Vein's tracers difficult to see in most situations particularly in the day. I've adjusted the tracer to be a touch bigger. Takes up about 2/3's of the BMP canvas size but doesn't have the 'laser beam' effect in game. Let me know an email/dropbox location if you want a copy.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Loving this mix of effects. I was just finding Vein's tracers difficult to see in most situations particularly in the day. I've adjusted the tracer to be a touch bigger. Takes up about 2/3's of the BMP canvas size but doesn't have the 'laser beam' effect in game. Let me know an email/dropbox location if you want a copy.

Cheers

Thanks Ithikial.

Your mod sounds understandable & reasonable enough... although there are practical concerns with how many "optional sets" are going to be part of the final mod (it's already pretty ugly with z's & double z's everywhere).

I'm starting to think the finalized version should come with a mod enabler... perhaps OvGME (I probably should be using one anyway as I'm always switching between my various mod compilations & sub-mods).

Why don't you put the dropbox link here in the mean-time, that way other players can try it out?